• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else REALLY frustrated with waiting times for a diagnosis?

Kiromane

hands too dry and too wet at the same time
I think they're wayy too long. My father called in some time at the beginning of summer to ask when we can go in for testing, and they told him to call back in September to set a date FOR NEXT YEAR! I know there is a shortage of psychologists and such but this is just insane! I have never met a fellow aspie, or even a parent of one, how is there so many people going in to get diagnosed?

I live in Poland, is it like this in other countries? Or even, fellow Polish people, is it just my area, or is it like this in the entire country?

I live in France, but not French and did not get tested for some years, due to being told that France does not entertain aspergers nor females on the spectrum, so it came as such a surprise when I did get tested, it was all done within a month, so come to France lol

It's not uncommon to wait for several weeks or a few months,...but I agree, that seems excessive.

I live in France, but not French and did not get tested for some years, due to being told that France does not entertain aspergers nor females on the spectrum, so it came as such a surprise when I did get tested, it was all done within a month, so come to France lol
The French are still stuck in the 1960's and 70's with their psychoanalytical model of "poor parenting" and psychological causes for autism. They just haven't progressed with the 50-60 yrs of scientific data. They've got their own thing going on, it seems.

I think they're wayy too long. My father called in some time at the beginning of summer to ask when we can go in for testing, and they told him to call back in September to set a date FOR NEXT YEAR! I know there is a shortage of psychologists and such but this is just insane! I have never met a fellow aspie, or even a parent of one, how is there so many people going in to get diagnosed?

I live in Poland, is it like this in other countries? Or even, fellow Polish people, is it just my area, or is it like this in the entire country?
It's even worse in my country. Waiting time for adults is at least 2 years (probably worse now), and it's very difficult to even get a referral. Plus, it's expensive.

Being very punctual myself, I'm always frustrated having to wait on general principle. My bad...

Though when it comes to medical bureacracies in general, I usually anticipate them "dragging their feet".

I've recently submitted for testing and the waiting list here is up to 3 years, a friend of mine has been waiting a couple of years already.

It all makes me wonder about how a society's awareness to autism to the general population is a good thing. But in doing so it may well strain whatever healthcare resources government has in implementing a timely diagnosis.

Leaving a faster diagnosis at the hands and cost of a private sector physician. Which for many of us is simply not financially feasible.

"Catch-22".

You might be able to go privately faster, or go online for a private diagnosis? I always went privately when choosing therapy for example. If affordable? Then you don't get labelled. Do you definitely need or want a diagnosis? What else but autism do you think your issues or abilities point to?

Where I am, standard wait time for a public diagnosis for those under 18 is about 1.5 years.

Private diagnosis (about $2000) wait time is quite variable, but is about
6 month - 1 year for those under 18,
2+ years for those over 18 (as children and youth are prioritized)

New Threads

Top Bottom