• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else just not interested in superheroes (or other stereotypically "nerdy" interests)?

Excessive interest in superheroes, comic books, video games, etc. seems to be the defining characteristic of being nerdy these days, and honestly I couldn't care less about any of them. Even in the early days of Pokemon, while I enjoyed the show I was never obsessed enough to memorize all 150 Pokemons or buy any of the merchandise associated with the show.

The thing is, I've always viewed myself as nerdy because I was the straight-A type of student who always had her head buried in a book. Although I no longer have the sort of thirst for knowledge due to major depression, this particular lack of interest makes me feel... out of place? Like even among self-identified nerds I'm not the right kind of nerd?

Can anyone else relate to this?

Well, I really don't care about superheroes at all, but that's not the only thing there are cartoons/comics of. I have had the pattern of reading three or four webcomics for over ten years now. I've also read some very good graphic novels about historic/political topics. But merchandizing is not something I really "do" either. I also hardly play any video games at all, and I know nothing of pokemon past the first three or four games that came out when I was in middle school. Never owned a bigger console than a gameboy either, and I don't own one now.

I suppose it raises the question on how you define a nerd/geek, and when are things stereotypical.

Despite that I have an interest in a fair amount of comicbook related stuff, I like to game (both videogames as well as non-videogames) there's plenty of stuff that people will still consider a stereotype by itself.

For example; I'm pretty big into music and tend to be a bit of an encyclopedia of trivia in certain genres on top of the fact that I have a fair share of knowledge about instruments and play a few myself. However, the fact that I can rattle up trivia is already considered "stereotypical nerdy" and as such not the subject, but the intensity of knowing your stuff is what defines nerds to some extent. Granted, if you look at say, Sheldon from TBBT he has a lot of nerdy interests, but in defense, his physics are also attributed to being a nerd... not to mention that the vast knowledge he has on so called nerdy topics such as comicbooks is probably way too much for the average nerd, and as such, I wonder how much knowledge defines you as being a nerd and how much makes you a "casual" reader.

In a sense I've always found the mainstream idea of being a nerd or geek and having interests label you as such (regardless on what I, or anyone thinks of labels) a bit silly in that there's not a single agreement on when this label applies and increasingly, it's being used way too loosely. I mean, if I read Calvin and Hobbes in the newspaper I'm "fine" but if I by chance own an issue of those comics in bookform, I'm suddenly a comicbook nerd? Is that how thing that line is already?

I never really was a gamer per say. My superheroes are all real life people.I have an interest in electronics that has fueled my interest in continuing the work of Nikola Tesla.My interests in design and machine work has led me to startup a small hobby machineshop in my home,following the lead of part of my former career.Most people I know don't have equipment in their livingroom :D

Geekiness can take on many forms,not just isolated areas ;)

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think some of the aforementioned interests are generational. As a small boy I was a big Batman fan after the show came on TV in the 60's. In my teen years Pong was the thing to have, which was about as boring as watching grass grow; we didn't have the interesting stuff like now. It's the same with comic books. Manga was unknown, nor was anime. My interests focused mainly on cars and motorcycles; but as I've gotten older, I'm finding that books are where my interests lie.
Welcome back Sportster :)
it's been quite a while,but great to see you again

I don't like superheroes, comic books, retro games etc either, but I think I like other "nerdy" topics (My Little Pony, Minecraft, I do still like Pokemon) and I love reading, but I tend to just be happy saying I'm me and don't worry about any labels. Sometimes I do wish I fitted in with some label though.

I'm taking a break from that stuff for a while. After 21 years, it's my right, for crying out loud.

Although I find the idea of superheroes irreplaceable, because I use them as role models to be the kind of person I want to be, I'm not actually into technology much at all. I used to be, but I grew incredibly bored with it. I like maybe one anime each season, and games are a sometimes thing for me. Those went the same way as computers/technology, I used to love them, but I'm just bored of them now.

But, then, there are days when that kind of stuff is kicked into full gear, and I'm suddenly really interested in them for the next 12 hours... I agree with Sofi, I wish I could stick with a label or "type." It would make my futile attempts at relationships that much easier, and lordy do I need some kind of help with that. =\

I'm not interested in the "typical" nerd stuff like superheroes, star wars, star trek etc. but I do like video games especially J-rpgs. I suppose that's kinda typical.

My other interests are not really nerdy, I just take them to an extreme that could be considered as such. One of my main interests is the electric guitar, and I am currently working on designing a distortion pedal that replicates the "sustain" circuit from a HH electronic IC100 amplifier, and even got some 'period correct' 741 opamps for the project. I think most people would just be happy to learn to play it :p

Excessive interest in superheroes, comic books, video games, etc. seems to be the defining characteristic of being nerdy these days, and honestly I couldn't care less about any of them. Even in the early days of Pokemon, while I enjoyed the show I was never obsessed enough to memorize all 150 Pokemons or buy any of the merchandise associated with the show.

The thing is, I've always viewed myself as nerdy because I was the straight-A type of student who always had her head buried in a book. Although I no longer have the sort of thirst for knowledge due to major depression, this particular lack of interest makes me feel... out of place? Like even among self-identified nerds I'm not the right kind of nerd?

Perhaps getting back into those books would help your depression? I always find that learning new information about the subjects that interest me stimulating, no matter what my mood is.

I like some superheroes, comics and video games, but only ones relevant to my special interests. For example, I love DuckTales, and DuckTales has all three of those. (Actually I just bought some DuckTales comics last week.) Mickey Mouse has video games and comics too, so I like those. But more popular ones like Superman, Batman, etc. aren't really my thing. Same goes for Star Wars/Trek and Doctor Who, etc.
(Although I find the 'Spoderman' parody meme hilarious)

I'm not technically "obsessed" with superheroes and the like, but I do have avid interests in animated films, comics, cartoons, etc, and wouldn't object to watching a Marvel movie if the opportunity presented itself. :)

ETA: Geez, now that I think about it, idk if I've ever even SEEN a Marvel movie :eek:...I have to fix that soon.

Last edited:

A Nerd is not the same thing as a Geek.

Nerds are quiet, cold, calculating, distant, and don't like to waste their time or energy on useless knicknacks. They tend to be more focused on research/discovering how the world works, with media being a component of that.

Geeks are emotional, friendly, obnoxious, loud-mouthed, bubbly people who buy merchandise in the mistaken belief that it will support their show, as well as a way to prove their worth as a "true fan".

People outside the Nerd/Geek battle sometimes have trouble telling the two apart.

Keep in mind, these are just concepts. There is no such thing as a "True Nerd", or a "True Geek". People will almost always have some combination of attributes between them, and these traits can change over time.

A Nerd is not the same thing as a Geek.

Nerds are quiet, cold, calculating, distant, and don't like to waste their time or energy on useless knicknacks. They tend to be more focused on research/discovering how the world works, with media being a component of that.

Geeks are emotional, friendly, obnoxious, loud-mouthed, bubbly people who buy merchandise in the mistaken belief that it will support their show, as well as a way to prove their worth as a "true fan".

People outside the Nerd/Geek battle sometimes have trouble telling the two apart.

Keep in mind, these are just concepts. There is no such thing as a "True Nerd", or a "True Geek". People will almost always have some combination of attributes between them, and these traits can change over time.
geeks_and_nerds.png

Nerd has always had a fairly stable definition as long as I remember.

But Geek went thru some rapid changes.

Initially I only heard it as a type in Circus sideshows. I haven't researched it, but thought it meant one who ate disgusting things. We called a friend Geek briefly for eating something on a dare.

Then in the late 70's it was used by surfers to describe beginner or casual surfers who only did the sport occasionally.

I don't know when it became similar to Nerd and picked up having a super enthusiast/fan component. It oddly seems like it has been around forever. But from above I would have to guess 80's.

I absolutely love comics, especially Hellblazer, Preacher, Tank Girl, 2000AD, Sandman, Watchmen, anything by Alan Moore, Garth Ennis, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison or Neil Gaiman ok i could go on n on better pull it in a bit lol.
Comics were a big part of my formative years and i loved the subversive concepts and satire that they introduced me too, along with music and art comics revealed to me that there was more to life than the mundane, that life could be fantastic and there were mysteries and beauty everywhere, and also encouraged me to think for myself.

I could never really get into many Marvels superheroes though, they just seem really simplistic and silly.
i don't really go in for labels, i just like what i like.

I think Comics are something separate from nerdiness/geekiness. They can be associated with Nerds like some other genres, for instance Sci-fi, Fantasy and Anime, but retain their own character. Comics and the derivative films especially have a wider appeal and audience much greater then just nerdy types.

I think its aspects of fiction, with the more cerebral drawing one fan base and the more action oriented (including special effects) drawing another. There are also crossover elements. For instance Anime may draw another group of people by reason of its social commentary and expose.

Fantasy, by the way is one of the best mediums for confronting RL issues.

New Threads

Top Bottom