• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else got gender dysphoria?

Gender diversity is more common in the autistic community than the neurotypical community. Yes, we have forum members that can empathize with your situation. Having said that, I would tread with some caution. Get yourself educated with the science, not opinions. Expectations and reality tend to be soberingly different. ;)

At any rate, welcome to the forums. I am sure someone will chime in here and have some perspectives on what you are going through. :)

Put your ear to the track--do you hear that approaching? No, not the Silver Meteor--it's the noise of the massive contingent of Autism Forum gender benders on the way.
I'm a guy & happy to be one, but I think your experience is fairly common on the autism spectrum. My girlfriend's sibling is almost certainly autistic, and is what they call non-binary and seems to enjoy living like that instead of living like "a girl." And girlfriend herself bailed out of the weird 1950s feminine mindset where she's at, saving only some bomb-ass vintage dresses and a pair of nice flats--she has a lot of interests in so-called male interests. It's totally okay to bend the stereotyping a bit.

And I will say this: I quit worrying about the whole "am I non-binary or possibly trans" thing when I finally quit worrying about whether my interests were "manly." Got handy with a vintage sewing machine, focused on all kinds of fun stuff that really anyone can do, and oddly enough I do not have anything left except a certain happiness & peace that I'm a man. Basically I would have probably gone transgender if I stayed in a toxic environment. I about guarantee you I'd be signing my letters as a lady--because when society's so screwed up you can't find peace in the skin you're in, a lot of autistic people live like the opposite sex or like androgynes in the non-binary side of things.

The whole matter of this is pretty common on the autism spectrum; I think it's because a lot of us just plain don't fit in as easily as we might expect. But what the heck, we're all here and alive. Welcome to the forum by the way!

welcome to af.png

There are quite a few of us here that have gender identities that don't align with our birth assigned gender. I'm one of them and I'm sure when others see your post they will pop in to say hi! :)

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you will feel you are among people like yourself in all kinds of ways! :) It's really rather wonderful here! :)

Certainly.

Had gender dysphoria ever since I was a child, realized I was trans when I was 14 years old. (I mean I knew I was a girl before that considering the dysphoria basically manifested itself in 'wanting to wake up one day and be a girl more than anything else in the world' but I didn't really understand it as a literal grade schooler - and let's not mention the few years in middle school where I feverishly tried to deny that I was transgender)

Still suffer from gender dysphoria all these years later because I haven't even started transitioning yet but I do sometimes get gender euphoria when I catch glimpses of my long-ish hair in the mirror, which is nice.

Also hey welcome to these forums.

Just this morning I read a wonderful story about a professional footballer. The way she describes everything she went through is very relatable.

One day, if the human race survives long enough, won't it be wonderful when we have evolved to the point where we can all be ourselves and comfortable in our own skin!

One of the hallmarks of autism is an unstable sense of self. I would wait a few years and see how your identity develops as a young person.

I am trans and have been aware of my desire to be male + have had gender dysphoria since I was 2-3 years old.

Edit: I'm currently 22 years old, and "came out" at 14.

Hello and welcome. I think you will find space to be yourself here and hope that we can offer support, understanding, and friendship.

Hiya, trans here myself.

It's a nice forum, feel free to just be yourself.

...I cant think of much else to say. So... yeah.

I don't like the idea of adult strangers counseling a minor child on these sorts of things.

Nobody's doing that, though.

Unless I've entirely missed something that happened or whatever, which is always possible.

I’m female, was born female, but have a lot of masculine traits and I’m a lesbian. So I guess I fall somewhere on the nonbinary/genderfluid spectrum.
I’m still not 100% sure of my gender identity and I’m almost in my 30s.

I always felt like I had feminine and masculine traits, kind of at a 50 / 50 ratio. But that's still just a bunch of labels that we put on things, which hasn't helped me describe it either. I like to think that we're all spiritual beings (whether this part is true or not) and our moods, genders and whatever else are all pretty malleable and changing all the time according to these labels. But in the end, they're still just labels and the human experience transcends all of that earthly garbage anyway.

Otherwise, admittedly I might actually have some dysphoria and inner-turmoil for all I know

New Threads

Top Bottom