• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else got gender dysphoria?

With this thread, I simply cannot relate. I'm a man, but I don't necessarily look like what I think a stereotypical man should. I don't feel manly. I'm not interested in things which men are commonly interested. But I can understand why those with autism may experience gender dysphoria.

10% of man are as feminine as the average woman and vice versa. Its not that out of the ordinary.

I don't like the idea of adult strangers counseling a minor child on these sorts of things.
I agree. I think, in some cases, one can be a bit "too helpful" with one's language. One must tread with some caution when it comes to advice. The OP appeared to be more of a "reaching out" and trying to make a "connection" with "similar-minded" people, so she can feel supported in her feelings right now. We can do that, no doubt.

I don't see how it's different from any other kind of counseling between strangers and a minor.

Strangers/adults shouldn't really counsel minors at all if the parents are not present or involved. The world is an ugly place, it can be dangerous. Answering a question on a forum can be ok, but this is an area where people need to be a little cautious. And we have to remember that the teenage years is the most confusing time in peoples lives. Everyone struggles with things and tries to find their place when they are kids/teenagers. It's very normal. And then we grow up and things change.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone "counsel" the OP on anything. So far people have just responded to their question + basically told them to be themselves, whether that ends up involving following gender roles or not.

I guess my entire childhood every adult that came to speak at school and told us to be ourselves was being a creep!:rolleyes:

Strangers/adults shouldn't really counsel minors at all if the parents are not present or involved. The world is an ugly place, it can be dangerous. Answering a question on a forum can be ok, but this is an area where people need to be a little cautious. And we have to remember that the teenage years is the most confusing time in peoples lives. Everyone struggles with things and tries to find their place when they are kids/teenagers. It's very normal. And then we grow up and things change.
I agree. I was just puzzled over the use of "on these sorts of things".

New Threads

Top Bottom