• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody

Whell I suffer from Depersonalization I kind of feel as if I am watching a movie of my life am I can't do eny thing about it what are yours? I also suffer from depreson.

Well mine feels like when I hear voices there coming from far away or there unfamiliar I feal like im in a dream or movie motions are different time feels distorted and it only happens usually when im outside how about you

This deffinitely happens to me. Personally though I would liken it more to a ride than a movie. It is like I am inside my head, observing my own actions and physiological responses, but actually feeling my emotions or controlling my actions. This usally happens when I am extremely stressed and likely hystarical.

Sometimes I also have this uncanny feeling where I just can't believe I am me. Like, I'll hear my name and it will strike me as odd that that is my name, even though I know it is. Then I will go over the events of my life and think, "yes, that is correct, but how odd that those things happened to me and that this is who I am." It is as though I suddenly found myself in the body of a beloved character from my favorite show.

No it does not get worse for me when I go out side it does get worse at night or when I am thinking about my granpa. Mostly when I am thinking about my grandpa.

Before the first time I got derealization literally minutes before I started thinking deep thoughts on what if the earth wasnt here what if we werent here isnt it miraculous were here

Datura
"Sometimes I also have this uncanny feeling where I just can't believe I am me. Like, I'll hear my name and it will strike me as odd that that is my name, even though I know it is. Then I will go over the events of my life and think, "yes, that is correct, but how odd that those things happened to me and that this is who I am." "

That is very well put.
I don't feel like I am a well beloved character, though.
It just seems very odd that I am a person that other people
can look at, and hail by a sound that they regard as 'my name.'

Having to get undressed to take a bath can be very trying.
I feel strange to change from clothing to no clothing.
It all seems like such a surprise.

The first time I recall derealization was at school. I don't recall the specific age. I do remeber walking through the halls and thinking that it felt like I had never been there before. Sure, I knew every last inch of the place, but it was like I was in a dream and all of my memories were something I had made up just then. This actually happened many times.

Sometimes, it's as if my life is happening to somebody else. I am deep inside this numb body, traveling through disconnected life events, struggling to apply a sense of clarity and reality to what is happening, even as it happens. I don't really have awareness of how to feel more connected to my body and my experiences. This sounds really scary, but it has been a reality since kindergarten.

My sense is that my groovy neurology has enough weakness, that overwhelm from trying to handle sensory hoopla and social energy drain causes varying states of shutdown as I go through life. School, socializing, having too many things to do, are overwhelming when you consider cognitive processing challenges, sensory sensitivities, executive functioning challenges, communication struggles, and delayed cognitive processing.
Whee! No wonder running more than one errand in a day, fielding two phone calls, and managing self care has us feeling fogged out, vague, and trying to be more present for our lives.

I always say that autism works it's best to try to solve it's own challenges. So while we may often feel disassociated and shutdown when life overwhelms, we find recovery and healing in our wonderful, compelling, dominant default state of autistic inner world. :sunflower:

I had to look up the definition to understand the question. Years ago I used to experience something like described. I would feel I was getting infinitely smaller while my surrounding got bigger. I would feel trapped or suffocated. I did not enjoy the experience at all and I'm glad I got over it.

I suffer from dissociation/depersonalisation a lot. I feel like I'm watching myself through someone else's eyes as if I'm not really there, or sometimes I'll suddenly feel real and realise that I've been dissociating for hours. It definitely gets worse when I go out as it's pretty much just a result of intense stress for me and it's impossible to be relaxed while in public, in my case anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom