• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any other aspie vegans out there?

I was vegan for quite a while. It certainly helped my cooking skills! I still love vegan cuisine...there's some really great restaurants fairly nearby, as well.

Gave it considerable thought at one point. I was headed in that direction, but not as a matter of choice. I took my 11th dose of Nexium today. It's a big deal to me if it can truly subdue my reflux issues...which making ingesting animal fat in any quantity like swallowing battery acid.

But I do enjoy mixed salads a lot. Especially when it's 104 Fahrenheit outside. Too hot to cook.

I was for awhile but something went horribly wrong. I was living in a dorm, and I'm been below the poverty line so I'm sure that had a lot to do with why. I'd like to give it another shot, but I'm a researcher. I have been leaving it at vegetarian and avoiding cosmetic and hygiene products that use animal testing for the past year or so. I originally went fully vegetarian when I was 13 or 14... it's only a matter of time before veganism takes me by accident.

There has actually been research done that shows being vegan is way cheaper than any carnivorous diet. Just avoid most overpriced processed fake meats and stick to the basic nutrients. People make it sound super hard but it's really easy for most people.

Really think about it though. Think of any impoverished country, what are the staples of their diet? Grains, rice, potatoes. It's only in rich westernized countries that you see large amounts of meat and dairy consumed.

It depends on where you live though. In most cases I think you're correct. Milk and meat is fairly pricey in my opinion.

I'm not vegan or vegetarian, oddly, I just don't prefer much meat. When I do have meat or milk, it sually goes bad before I finish it.

I was that way with milk before I was vegan. Always hated it. Just the flavor. I couldn't drink it with out having tons of chocolate before hand. Haha Now almond milk. That's a whole other story. So so good.

There has actually been research done that shows being vegan is way cheaper than any carnivorous diet. Just avoid most overpriced processed fake meats and stick to the basic nutrients. People make it sound super hard but it's really easy for most people.

Really think about it though. Think of any impoverished country, what are the staples of their diet? Grains, rice, potatoes. It's only in rich westernized countries that you see large amounts of meat and dairy consumed.
I live a hop, skip and a jump from a grocery shop that is run by Seventh Day Adventists, and they have stuff you can buy in bulk for SUPER cheap! In fact, it almost makes me wonder why I haven't returned to veganism... :)

I've been vegetarian for the past 14 years now. Even though I always liked meat it wasn't much of a problem, but going all vegan isn't for me. I like cheese too much (mmm, opiates). My girlfriend's vegan now and it's difficult at times. I don't like tofu and seitan and too much soy. We've found some really good lupin based stuff though, but it's ridiculously expensive. I'd like to try and reverse engineer it, so I can make it on the cheap. I don't use meat replacing products that often myself anyway. Every now and then I'll buy myself a big bag of fake burgers, so I can have some cheeseburgers for breakfast, in honor of the king.

The last couple of years I have felt a craving for meat pop up again, at times. It's just that whenever I kill a fly or mosquito, I'm thinking I might as well have killed myself a tasty wild boar or so. But I don't. Bloody conscience.

I did travel with a nomadic tribe a couple times, and though they didn't eat much meat - usually only on special occasions, like when we were visiting for example - they did churn fresh lumpy goatmilk/cheese every morning, and would drink some kind of melted butter for breakfast. I tried it and it was gutwrenchingly disgusting, but they seemed to like it. Also bread with olive oil. Lots of it.
Now they were herdsmen; their flock was their livelihood, so being vegan would've been out of the question. They didn't understand vegetarianism at all.
Here's a picture of one of the kids churning the milk in an old sheepskin.
DSC_0177.jpg

I'm neither vegan nor vegetarian, but I'm trying to get my family to purchase responsibly sourced meat and dairy products and to consume fewer animal products overall. I may try go go without them one day, at least for a while, but it won't be until I'm on my own.

Cheese is the number one excuse for not going vegan. I honestly get nauseous watching people eat it now. Nothing about molded solid breast milk is appealing to me.

I am not a vegan but I am a vegetarian. I am also a fan of Burger King because they carry veggie burgers on their menu.

I'm not vegan or vegetarian, oddly, I just don't prefer much meat. When I do have meat or milk, it sually goes bad before I finish it.
Same here. I used to love meat and milk but for the past few years I find myself eating/drinking less and less of it. Last month I realized that I hadn't eaten any meat in weeks and when I looked in the fridge the meat had expired. That's when I noticed the expired milk as well. Lol. The next week I tried to eat some turkey bacon and nearly puked. It's like my body rejected it. Reminds me of when I gave up pork years ago. When I decided to start eating a little bit of it again years later, my mom made me breakfast which included a few strips of bacon, I couldn't even get down more than a strip of bacon before I felt so unbelievably sick that I thought I'd lose the entire breakfast. Just can't stomach too much meat anymore. Never thought I say that in a million years. I have noticed that I have more money in the bank though. Normally it would've been wasted on meat. I still buy milk here and there. Really small quantities.

The thing to bear in mind with full veganism is that one is at risk of deficiency in vitamins such as B12 which is only found in animal products. Some breakfast cereals have it added.

New Threads

Top Bottom