• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any iPad gurus here? Help!

Warmheart

Something nerdy this way comes
V.I.P Member
I use an iPad mini to speak when I can't. I have an AAC app (AAC = assistive and augmentative communication) which works great. It has buttons I poke which say things aloud.
Often, what I need to say requires a keyboard to type.

Problem: I can't read the iPad keyboard without my reading glasses. When I'm stressed enough to lose speech, trying to put on reading glasses usually doesn't happen.
(They get suddenly pitched, or in frustration, my whole iPad gets pitched.)

Can my iPad keyboard have fatter (bolder) letters? If they could just be much darker and thicker, I could likely see it without glasses. Ideas?

Thank you! :)

Settings, General, Accesssbility

Large Text ON
Then drag the slider to make text larger.

Bold Text

Think that you might be able to pair your ipad mini with a mac keyboard. It requires something like an easy switch K811bluetooth keyboard that works with wifi:

k811-gallery.png

upload_2017-4-30_20-27-8.jpeg

These keyboards would work if setup with your device.

Last edited:
The slider is already dragged big. The bold is already switched on. I don't actually need the reading text bigger... just they keyboard.

I just need the keyboard in the iPad to be with bigger, bolder, fatter, darker letters, without trying to use an extra keyboard.

Thank you for trying to help me. I wish I could see the keyboard better.

If you have your iPad in Landscape mode, the on screen keyboard will be a bit larger.

Font Adjustments
When you activate Larger Dynamic Type, the text inside a range of apps, including Calendar, Contacts, Mail, Messages, Music, Notes, and Settings, and even some third-party apps, is converted to a larger, easier-to-read size. And you can choose bold text to make the text heavier across a range of built-in applications.

Zoom
Zoom is a built-in screen magnifier that works wherever you are in iOS. And it works with all apps from the App Store. Turn Zoom on for full-screen or picture-in-picture view, allowing you to see the zoomed area in a separate window while keeping the rest of the screen at its native size. You can adjust the magnification between 100 and 1500 percent and access multiple filter options in either view. While you’re zoomed in, you can use all the familiar gestures to navigate your iPad. And Zoom works with VoiceOver, so you can better see — and hear — what’s happening on your screen.

How to make keyboard font larger | Official Apple Support Communities

Hi @Warmheart You might try one of those large magnifiers which rest on whatever it is you need to read. It works on electronic devices like my ipad, my pixel phone plus the usual such as phone book and my artwork, etc. Of course it too can be annoying as one has to move it around/out of the way.

I'm visually impaired, stuck with only an iPad as my computer, and write a lot. Here's what I do. Buy a lightweight, Bluetooth keyboard. It can sit in your lap or on the table in front of you. No wires, and doesn't have to be a Mac product to connect. Just turn it on, find it in your iPads Bluetooth devices and type the password it gives you.

Thank you so much for the ideas! Lots of good things to consider. I appreciate the help!

Extra magnifiers, keyboards, etc. all tend to bring me the same problem as reading glasses do, namely, using them adds to the overwhelm in an already extremely stressed situation, where I have lost speech, and am in danger of meltdown (a sustained, physical outburst).

Im lucky i can even use my iPad, and many times, I just can't.

I'm looking at Viskeys, and other low vision keyboard apps.
Has anyone tried those?

Viskeys looks like it might be the answer. It looks designed to help you figure out what you are looking at, and it is built in as part of the system.

You can also try it out, and return it if it doesn't work.

Perhaps you could insert a magnifier from the fabric store into a cover that you can keep on your ipad. They have different sizes of lightweight lenses that you could use.

Settings, General, Accesssbility

Large Text ON
Then drag the slider to make text larger.

Bold Text
Do you know how to insert emojis on an iPad Pro when I send the message the emoji mysteriously disappears what am I doing wrong I'm a technophobe
Thanks

New Threads

Top Bottom