• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

I feel like I've gotten relatively good at picking up new scripting languages for the billions of things that exist, so the biggest hurdle here looks like actually getting into bash (or even getting used to using the command line more).
You don't have to master Bash, in fact you don't have to learn anything about it at all if you don't want to. Gimp fully supports scripting in a few different languages and there's plenty of scripts others have made that you can copy and use for free as well, that will give you a good head start in to how to create your own.

Screenshot from 2023-12-17 05-18-08.png

You don't have to master Bash, in fact you don't have to learn anything about it at all if you don't want to. Gimp fully supports scripting in a few different languages and there's plenty of scripts others have made that you can copy and use for free as well, that will give you a good head start in to how to create your own.

That's what I've tried to explain to those skeptical about installing Linux as they were under a false impression that they had to rely on using the terminal and conducting a majority of functions at the command prompt.

Not only that it ain't so, but that you don't even need to learn scripting languages at all. That you just copy and paste commands you find online given an abundance of helpful people online willing to help.

Last edited:
... they were under a false impression that they had to rely on using the terminal and conducting a majority of functions at the command prompt.
Deliberate propaganda. How many colleges and universities in your state have a "partnership" with Microsoft? That's rule #1 in the dictator's handbook. Control the knowledge. Most people coming out of uni waving their shiny new PhD in Computer Science have Microsoft tattooed across their foreheads.

Deliberate propaganda. How many colleges and universities in your state have a "partnership" with Microsoft? That's rule #1 in the dictator's handbook. Control the knowledge. Most people coming out of uni waving their shiny new PhD in Computer Science have Microsoft tattooed across their foreheads.
The sad part is that once you attain a certain comfort level with Linux, using the terminal can be downright exciting at times. Even then, I'm still copying and pasting, even making my own cheatsheets. Example:

HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO HACKS - LINUX UBUNTU DISTRIBUTIONS -REALTEK ALC887-VD DRIVERS

A. Provide sound to external speakers:

1. Download “Alsa-Tools-GUI”. Select the feature called “HDA Jack Retask” and select “Realtek ALC887-VD”. Then check the override box marked “Green Line Out, Rear Side” - ”Internal Speaker (Back)”.

2. Check the    box under “Options” marked “Parser Hints”. Then select from “Hints” and change    the first line called “Jack_Detect” value to “NO”.

3. Then click the box marked “Install Boot Override” and click the “ok” prompt. Then reboot the system.

* Alsa-Tools-GUI can also be downloaded from the terminal with the following commands:

a. sudo apt-get update -y

b. sudo apt-get install -y alsa-tools-gui

Then reboot the system.

B. Fix    random popping sounds:

Root Authority: Right-click file manager to choose “open as root”, then access the files accordingly:

1. Using root authority, access: sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save

Change the value from 1 to 0.

2.    Using root authority, access: sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save_controller

Change the value from Y to N.

3. Using root authority, access: etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Add the following    as the last line: options snd-hda-intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N

4. Then access the Terminal, and input the following: sudo apt update and reboot the system.

5. Download the following application from the repository: Pulse Audio Volume Control. Access “Configuration” and change the Built-In Audio Profile from    “Analog Stereo Duplex” to “Analog Stereo Output”.

* These changes should not only restore speaker sound, but fix the output so the audio output no longer has any discernable audio glitches.

LOL...I'd be totally screwed without my own cheatsheets. :eek:

HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO HACKS - LINUX UBUNTU DISTRIBUTIONS -REALTEK ALC887-VD DRIVERS

A. Provide sound to external speakers:
If you upgrade your motherboard one day you won't have to worry about doing that any more. :)

If you upgrade your motherboard one day you won't have to worry about doing that any more. :)
LOL....no joke! In fact just this morning I was wondering if I used a current mobo that would yield nearly no necessary hacks to make just about any Linux distro run right out of the box.

I've got a list of parts...but I need an interval to spend the money when there's no other unexpected expenses happening. I'm also still weighing the possibility of using my old case and whether or not I can achieve adequate airflow. I've ruled out building a gaming system, so that makes it all easier.

At the same time I must say, I get a certain thrill out of making such an old computer work so well. ;)

And thumb my nose at Microsoft, whose effort made this transition happen. :D

I've got a list of parts...but I need an interval to spend the money when there's no other unexpected expenses happening.
I'm not sure exactly what generation your old box is, but it's likely you'll have to replace the whole kit to not have any dramas. Power supply has to be a bare minimum of 450 watts and it has to have the 8 pin plug for the processor's power lead.

Motherboard, processor and ram all need to be a matched set from the same generation.

I'm not sure exactly what generation your old box is, but it's likely you'll have to replace the whole kit to not have any dramas. Power supply has to be a bare minimum of 450 watts and it has to have the 8 pin plug for the processor's power lead.

Motherboard, processor and ram all need to be a matched set from the same generation.
No question I'd have to replace it all. Too many technological standards have surpassed my hardware when it comes to the CPU, RAM and motherboard/chipsets. Though I'm rather fond of my Nvidia GTX 1660Ti GPU and am willing to run it knowing its PCIe is backwards compatible (gen 3 bus). It might make a bottleneck, but then as I said I'm not intending to use the next system for gaming. As for power supplies, I prefer to run them in the 650 to 750 watt range and preferably to be fully modular. I'll probably stick to an Intel i5 CPU. Multitasking capabilities have improved for this model. Especially gen 13.

Last edited:
Here's the quote I got for a cheap computer I put together for an old mate. Prices are in AU$ of course, I think the total would equal about US$550. New cases are quite cheap, except for postage because of their size. Many of them come with a power supply in them already but it's usually a rubbish one that you rip out and keep as an emergency back up.

screen51.jpg

Frankly there's one other reason I haven't bought anything yet. Being weaned on Asus motherboards, right now I'm not sure if this is the right year to buy any. Seems there is a loss of confidence in them at the moment with a number of computer gurus on YouTube. Starting with Gamers Nexus Steve Burke and Jayztwocents. Leo Waldock of Kitguru as well.

Not yet sure if I want to take a leap of faith and get a slightly older model and maybe gen12 or 13 Intel CPU.

There's very little noticeable difference between 12th and 13 generation, except for price. The processor above is 12th generation, that was earlier this year.

I always preferred Gigabytes motherboards, they are more expensive though. I also prefer Corsair for both ram and power supply but they priced themselves out of my market.

In that quote above the shop owner assembled it all and installed my choice of Linux on it, complete with old mate's username and password and the Cinnamon desktop. Then he tested it and posted it to my old mate up in Darwin without me ever seeing it. Good service.

[Edit] just thought I should add, it's a little privately owned computer shop, not a franchise.

Last edited:
Yep, Corsair RAM and power supplies. My main concern with ASUS though remains to avoid the boards with Intel Ethernet ports and go with a board with Realtek Ethernet. (Driver issues, though with Linux they may not matter...lol)

(Driver issues, though with Linux they may not matter...lol)
That's not something I've had to worry about in many years, I don't even know what brand my sound or ethernet are, they just work. I don't use the ethernet connection though, wifi to my router instead.

That's not something I've had to worry about in many years, I don't even know what brand my sound or ethernet are, they just work. I don't use the ethernet connection though, wifi to my router instead.
The Intel Ethernet ports were pretty problematic in terms of software for a few recent years. Something I must avoid because I don't have the option of wireless. Not enough room with my present system for the right network card. Very small case, very large 180mm fan.

Last edited:
I got curious and had to look it up. My current motherboard is an MSI and the lan cards is an Intel® I219V 1Gbps LAN controller

I got curious and had to look it up. My current motherboard is an MSI and the lan cards is an Intel® I219V 1Gbps LAN controller
It wouldn't matter. When I mentioned the problem about Asus it was while I was still contemplating building a computer that was Windows compliant. The Intel drivers in question that were faulty that came with their motherboards remains a Windows issue. Or at least some of the motherboards that had the issue are still for sale on Amazon as far as I know.

Since them I went entirely Windows free...as you have. So much for their Ethernet drivers one way or another. Though I may hedge my bets and go with the one using Realtek's hardware, just in case. I mean I still plan on installing an Icy Dock removable SSD to be able to swap operating systems at will. One of them might be Windows 12 some day...if Microsoft gets their act together. Or not at all...lol.

I'm in no hurry to consider Windows at this point. But it would seem prudent to think about building a newer system than to rely on one this old. I mean Linux goes only so far...and would be challenging their goodwill to expect a computer that would be around 15 years old or more. But I wouldn't don't mind adapting to the latest standards in the case of Linux.

I found a very useful site for you - partpicker. The motherboard I'm looking at here is only $100, a quad core i3 processor for about another $100. Throw in 16 gig of ram and a reasonable power supply, you're looking at around $300 all up.

Yes, I've known about it for years. Though I use it primarily for just one thing. To ascertain compatibility considerations with whatever hardware components I choose to make it all happen.

I keep vacillating over whether or not to use my old case for the next project. I love my existing case, and initially though of just taking the old components out and putting them back into my original case. But that older case is just that. Adequate, but less airflow. I can address it with more fans, though I'm always attempting to make my computers as quiet as is possible without them becoming a barbecue.

Oddly enough in my fretting over Intel Ethernet drivers, I also forgot to consider that most newer motherboards will already have built-in wireless capability. So even if I had one of those motherboards with a bad driver for Windows, I could still install Windows wirelessly if necessary. (I stopped using wireless some time ago, as it's nowhere as fast as my Ethernet connection.)

But as I mentioned earlier, at this point I have no practical need for Windows. And Linux seems to be a godsend in how it operates without drivers (with the exception of proprietary Nvidia GPUs).

Funny that in working with Linux, at first I panicked in thinking that the is no decisive information put forth by printer manufacturers that their printers (particularly HP) will work in Linux. Only Windows or MacOS. Yet both my HP laser printer and my much older HP inkjet printer both work fabulously using the CUPS software in Linux Mint and POP!OS. But I guess none of us are supposed to know or believe it...lol.

In essence it would seem that a Linux-based computer build is likely to have fewer compatibility issues. Though if you are using a much older hardware platform, yes you may have some additional things to work out, but I found that the answers are all out there.

Last edited:
Funny that in working with Linux, at first I panicked in thinking that the is no decisive information put forth by printer manufacturers that their printers (particularly HP) will work in Linux.
I have only come across one single product that consistently fails to load no matter what Linux you're using - Canon scanners. The printers work fine but not the scanners. Anything else, just plug it in and it works.

Without having to reboot 3 times. :)

I have only come across one single product that consistently fails to load no matter what Linux you're using - Canon scanners. The printers work fine but not the scanners. Anything else, just plug it in and it works.

Without having to reboot 3 times. :)
I still have one, but haven't used it since Windows 7 came out. Works fine with my legacy Windows XP computer.

I wonder if it has anything to do with old USB technology? One thing that remains true enough, is that while I can run my HP Envy 5530 inkjet printer wirelessly, it's a no-go if I try to run it using a USB port. Conversely my HP laser printer works fine using USB. But unlike my inkjet printer, this one is a recent acquisition.

The only drawback of using the color printer is having to temporarily turn on wireless in my router. Normally I don't even use wireless and haven't for years now.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom