• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any fellow Linux users on here?

I wonder if it has anything to do with old USB technology?
A tip to remember if you do end up upgrading, these days your modern printer is wireless. The trick to getting Linux to find it is to plug it in with the usb lead, once, but after that you unplug it again and Linux will recognise it every time you turn it on.

A tip to remember if you do end up upgrading, these days your modern printer is wireless. The trick to getting Linux to find it is to plug it in with the usb lead, once, but after that you unplug it again and Linux will recognise it every time you turn it on.
I noticed. Just another thing to add to my occasional frustration in market changes.

Actually in Linux Mint I have circumvented the process of searching for both my printers, one wireless and one USB. Yet another example of simply copying and pasting preexisting methods into the terminal.

Simply put, my two printers are never unrecognized once Linux Mint 21.2 boots up. So no waiting time while the OS normally would recognize the two printers once they are turned on.

Though I have yet to attempt this on my Pop!OS SSD, but being Ubuntu-based I assume it would work the same.

LOL...I'm just stoked that I can use both printers in Linux period. For a long time I thought this was the one stumbling block to stop using Windows at all. Now I no longer need it, as printing though Gimp 2.10 seems easier and more efficient in comparison with printing in Photoshop 5.5 through Windows 10. Linux keeps improving the CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) software for printers...so that's always a plus as well.

Last edited:
Another piece of hardware to contemplate if you are planning on using a 12th or 13th generation CPU. One I keep on my "shopping list" when I build my next computer.

Another piece of hardware to contemplate if you are planning on using a 12th or 13th generation CPU.
I've never seen those before, but I also have no issues. My case is huge with good ventilation and I rarely do anything that makes the processor work very hard, most of what I do is handled by the GPU, but as most of my games are older it rarely has to work very hard either.

I've never seen those before, but I also have no issues. My case is huge with good ventilation and I rarely do anything that makes the processor work very hard, most of what I do is handled by the GPU, but as most of my games are older it rarely has to work very hard either.

It is amazing to me how differently one can approach building a PC intended for non or light gaming or multi-threading applications. So many issues revolving around thermodynamics that we don't have to deal with.

Compounded with a reality that adding so many fans or an AIO is no guarantee of creating proper airflow in a case. There's a lot to running games with high frame rates and yet keeping temps no higher than in the 70s and 80s tops.

Makes my head spin at times. Glad in deciding to stay clear of games so demanding of system resources. And it allows me to embrace Linux and say farewell to Windows. The one thing that continues to concern me however are the much higher operating temperatures of the later CPUs. Much hotter than before, which compels me to want to utilize a "buckle" over the CPU (as mentioned above) to keep it from bending on the motherboard with so much continual heat.

Last edited:
Hi,
Are you using Linux? If so, which distrubution and why? I am using Ubuntu Budgie 20 beta because it is very reliable and I am used to the format. That and my canon printer works with it.
I've used several distos. I went through a few before setting with Manjaro. They were good for a while but it got more buggy, and it turns out other people had the same complaint. I currently use Endeavour OS

Just got past the piping / redirection part of the course I'm taking. Wow, that's cool stuff.

I can feel the addiction to the Linux ecosystem strengthening already :D

I doubt anyone here needs this, but if someone new to Linux stumbles upon this thread, I wonder if this will help them as much as it's helping me. There's something about good teachers that drill things into my head better than others, and I think I've finally found the guy. Doing the projects and keeping up with him seems really doable.

Also, I like to pretend that Maurice Moss is giving the lecture, lol

I'm back for another go at Linux. Last spring, I moved on to other jobs after a possibly corrupted installation and then a long, unfruitful attempt to get my email with it. I'm about to try peppermint, and may try getting my mail on the stop-gap Win 10 box I'm on now to learn more about the process on a system the ISP knows. Last Saturday, I had an SSD turn to stone, so at least there's less to move now.

I'm currently dual-booting Linux Mint and Windows 11, this is my first time seriously using Linux (I have messed around with other distros like Ubuntu in VMs in the past but this me actually installing it and using both it and Windows in about equal measure).

I haven't had any serious issues so far, only issue I've faced was this one game I play was running at like 20 fps in Mint vs 70-100 fps on Windows, both with identical graphical settings, but it turns out the issue was Linux was using the integrated graphics of my CPU and not my dedicated GPU, so I just had to right-click and tell it to launch it using the dedicated graphics. Once I did that, I got identical performance on both OSes.

I will say that there's something amusing to me now about booting into Mint, getting to the login screen, logging in and then my desktop is just:
f5eb7271f418d18c-png.124266

Yes I deliberately made it look like Windows 9x. I even changed the login sound to the Windows 95 one because why the heck not?

(I wonder if anyone would look at that and think I was seriously running an old version of Windows lol)

Attachments

• f5eb7271f418d18c.png
    f5eb7271f418d18c.png
    384.2 KB · Views: 46
I'm currently dual-booting Linux Mint and Windows 11, this is my first time seriously using Linux (I have messed around with other distros like Ubuntu in VMs in the past but this me actually installing it and using both it and Windows in about equal measure).

I haven't had any serious issues so far, only issue I've faced was this one game I play was running at like 20 fps in Mint vs 70-100 fps on Windows, both with identical graphical settings, but it turns out the issue was Linux was using the integrated graphics of my CPU and not my dedicated GPU, so I just had to right-click and tell it to launch it using the dedicated graphics. Once I did that, I got identical performance on both OSes.

Yes I deliberately made it look like Windows 9x. I even changed the login sound to the Windows 95 one because why the heck not?

(I wonder if anyone would look at that and think I was seriously running an old version of Windows lol)

Cool! I read recently about people now dual-booting with Linux and Windows 11. Glad you aren't having any real issues in doing so. (You know Microsoft isn't happy about it !)

Funny about the Win98 look to it. I use "Open-Shell" to give my main Windows 10 menus the look and functionality of Windows 98. I never cared for their menu systems all the way back to Windows XP.

Maybe I'm just snubbing Microsoft a little more in giving my Mint 21.2 interface a Windows 11 look. :p

I also run Pop!OS22.04 on another drive using removable Sata SSDs. Hardly run Windows any more. I don't think Open-Shell has come out with a version for Windows 11 yet. Haven't checked in a while.

Did you see that Mint 21.3 could be available any day now?

Cool! I read recently about people now dual-booting with Linux and Windows 11. Glad you aren't having any real issues in doing so. (You know Microsoft isn't happy about it !)

Funny about the Win98 look to it. I use "Open-Shell" to give my main Windows 10 menus the look and functionality of Windows 98. I never cared for their menu systems all the way back to Windows XP.

Maybe I'm just snubbing Microsoft a little more in giving my Mint 21.2 interface a Windows 11 look. :p

I also run Pop!OS22.04 on another drive using removable Sata SSDs. Hardly run Windows any more. I don't think Open-Shell has come out with a version for Windows 11 yet. Haven't checked in a while.

Did you see that Mint 21.3 could be available any day now?

Ah no, I hadn't seen that.

And yeah no issues with dual-booting, I think the fact that I have Windows and Linux on two separate SSDs helps prevent any issues. It's actually why I got this laptop, tbh. Two M.2 slots and space for a SATA drive as well.

Ah no, I hadn't seen that.

And yeah no issues with dual-booting, I think the fact that I have Windows and Linux on two separate SSDs helps prevent any issues. It's actually why I got this laptop, tbh. Two M.2 slots and space for a SATA drive as well.
Separate drives. That's essentially what I do, though I physically swap Mint, Pop!OS or Windows 10 on dedicated SATA SSDs..

But this platform is ineligible for Windows 11.

My laptop keyboard has gone crappola in the last 2 days. I could probably get a replacement, but the laptop is 5 or 6 years old and was mediocre when new. Been running dual boot most of it's life with Win 10 on the rarely used side. Short term going to put an even older linux only laptop back in service till I find a usable box to replace it.

Separate drives. That's essentially what I do....
This is what I did as well. When Windows was installed it was the only drive present, exactly the same when I installed Linux too, and then I used the bios boot menu (F12) to select what drive to boot from. It's been a long time since I played with Windows though, when Win8 came out I became convinced that they'd all completely lost the plot and I haven't bothered with them since.

@Shevek - I suggest as an introduction to Linux that you first start with one of the more mainstream systems before trying to sort the inevitable issues that come with the less popular side branches. A good place to start is Ubuntu, very user friendly to setup for beginners and very few problems such as outdated drivers, etc.

Seems a preferable way to go using dual drives. -Without having to physically remove either one. Nice.

I'm thinking for my next computer build I may just do that. With a primary and secondary NVMe SSD. Then no issues with a 3.5 drive bay for removable drives, not to mention a big increase in performance.

Assuming of course that I still feel some need for the next incarnation of Windows. ;)

Last edited:
Honestly I dual-boot mostly for gaming. Like I know that Linux gaming has come a damn long way and stuff like the Proton compatibility layer on Steam can do wonders with running Windows-only games on Linux, but I'd also rather just avoid the hassle or any issues, y'know? (Plus if I already have a game downloaded and installed on Windows, I'm not gonna waste bandwidth downloading it again but so I can play it on Linux)

I do still game on Linux but I'm limiting myself to games that natively support Linux, games that work flawlessly with Proton (so like no tweaking required whatsoever - discounting minor things like 'Use this version of Proton' because that's basically just right-clicking and choosing what version of Proton I want to use), or emulators.

Also Paint.NET, which is my preferred image editor, is only available on Windows (and isn't compatible with Wine, I've checked), so that's another reason why I dual-boot. Like sure I can make my way around GIMP and I'm figuring out Krita, but when I've basically used Paint.NET since I was 9-10 years old, I'm just familiar with it the most.

I did exactly the same as you. I first started playing with Linux in the end of the 90s though. So it took me about 15 years before I decided I didn't need or want Windows any more.

I have social issues that result in me never playing online any more, so for me Wine is all I need.

[smiles to self - thinks of song Cheap Wine by Cold Chisel]

So it took me about 15 years before I decided I didn't need or want Windows any more.

Wow, that's so cool. I thought I was the only one moseying over slowly, but if my experience is anything like yours I'm actually looking forward to the long journey!

Even though I don't game as much as I used to, I'm still curious about how good Proton, Wine and things like that are going to get. It seems like each time I start up the Linux journey again, more drivers have been improved for my old systems and things work way better than they used to. Linux is almost becoming more accessible.

New Threads

Top Bottom