• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Any adults familiar with Cleveland Clinic?

Wander

I had a bizarre shutdown/meltdown recently (still not sure what it was).
I couldn't speak, felt very distant, and I didn't understand words said to me. I was also intensely crying.
I don't remember half of the car ride home. Someone grabbed my shoulder and it felt like shooting pain.
Afterwards, I was blamed for acting out.
This incident terrified me. It's pushed me to search for knowledge, coping methods, etc.

Don't have an official diagnosis. I was the first one to recognize AS traits in myself.
However, my psychologist does talk about Asperger's often.

Back to my original question:
The Cleveland Clinic uses ABA. Is that a red flag? I know about ABA's history, it's a mixed bag. Most ABA are cruel and abusive.

I'm not afraid of ABA itself, but I don't want to get involved in any programs that have the "Autism is behavioral" attitude. To my understanding, ASDs are about neurological wiring and you can't change certain things.

TLDR: If any adults have gotten any form of support / services from the CC, please share your experiences. I'd like to know what they offer for people 19+. Not sure if I should call them since I'm not diagnosed....
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
I'm not abolitionist about ABA. It's helped some LF autistics, it's just used too much. Some doctors recommend 40 hours of ABA, which is wrong.

the word reinforcement frightens me
i was just watching an American drama /crime series where anyone brain damaged at birth is labeled a serial killer

its the sensationalist mindset using one set of statistics
saddened as i thought maybe disabled people were gaining a tiny amount of respect
no homosexual man is given compassion not if youre brain damaged autistic -demonised

ABA therapy has caused PTSD to many autistic people, however there are lots of therapies calling themselves ABA just to get covered by insurance to be more accessible, while not truly being ABA. Also, ABA victims are usually non-speaking (or typing, or using sign language), as the patients who are able to communicate have an easier way out (though some parents will keep taking their child there even if they say that it makes them miserable)

I think you should go to this clinic anyway, if you think you need to. It's not like you can't just leave if things go wrong, right? Especially since you don't seem to be dragged in by your parents. And you're probably not a child, and you can at least type so you can tell someone if the therapy is abusive (if the therapy makes you suffer, it is abusive, no matter what).

Thanks for the replies.

But I just realized...
I put this thread in Education and Employment.

Evidently, I lack one of these things :p

Of course, I'm just kidding.

I lack both of these things.

Thanks for the replies.

But I just realized...
I put this thread in Education and Employment.

Evidently, I lack one of these things :p

Of course, I'm just kidding.

I lack both of these things.
Lol I saw it in the 'New Threads' list

New Threads

Top Bottom