• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Another problem of mine

Keith

I am occasionally overly honest and apologetic. Last night I was writing Pandora an email concerning some glitches I was experiencing. I stopped myself after I realized I was talking too much about how I obsessively try to make my stations the way I want them by exploiting certain glitches I've discovered on their site. I even went into detail on my obsessiveness. I was also apologizing if I had violated any of their policies, despite also admitting I exploit the site's glitches often.

I need to learn when to shut up.

Hi, why should you be sorry for being the wonderful person you are? Why should you have to fit in with the sterotype? You have something that most normal people don't have and that is passion, you feel passionate about something interesting to you.

The issue is that I can give TMI (e.g. I posted an unnecessarily extensive list of things I'm thankful for on Facebook) or over-react to anything I've done wrong (e.g. go into remorse for committing a minor annoyance).

Yes but it depends, do you tell people you have Aspergers Syndrome? I tell people and say as sometimes I offend people but do not know I am doing it. If you are honest from the start you should not have to say sorry or feel remorse because it's the way you are, you are not a bad person, you do not intentionally annoy people and if they are a nice, decent person then they will understand you. I think you worry too much about what others thinks and it's hard but you have to stop this. 1 percent of the population is narcissist, 2 percent Borderline Personality, 1-2 percent histrionic and there are lots of other personality disorders as well but the one's I have mentioned you should avoid at all costs. Us Aspies cannot read people well and therefore more likely to be taken advantage of, often when we are right others will make us believe that we are wrong.

Thank you. I never tell people I have Aspergers because I either deem it unnecessary or fear their reaction. I never seem to know when it's appropriate to mention it.

I was worried about this but really if they don't like you because of aspergers then they are bad people and not worth your time and effort, you need to understand a lot of people in society are bad people and because you have Asperger's then you are more vulnerable. Maybe it would be better to learn the early warning signs of a bad character and avoid these people since they say Aspies are 7 times more likely to be bullied.

I think you're doing the best you can. You are honest, and are being yourself. Perhaps if people close to you understood you have AS, they might be more compassionate, and even be able to ease the pressure you feel to keep adding details, by chiming in and relieving you of the burden of adding all the details. Your conversational partners can learn to help you balance discussions by joining in with you, so you won't feel so overwhelmed to add every bit of info. Try not to worry, you are an amazing person with much to offer, and you're doing your best.

New Threads

Top Bottom