• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Another one here

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Well, I am Suzanne, who is sadly 44 and soon to be 45, married and due to an article I read, some year's back, it hit me that I am on the spectrum of Asperger's. I hasten to add, I had never heard of this before and knew without a doubt, I am not autistic and so, put my behaviour patterns down to just being weird. Then I read this article of a young girl who had something called: Asperger's and the more I read, the more, I felt I was reading about myself; she was a lot worse though, but fundamentally it was like: wow, that is me!

I kept quiet about it, because I am perfectly aware how prejudiced people can be if you say: oh I read such a such and I am sure I have aspergers! So the first time, I admitted that I could have it, was to my long suffering husband, who typically laughed and said: sure etc etc, which made me go into myself and not say a word after that, but each time we would have words, he would come out and say: Suzanne, for goodness sake, I feel that I have to explain everything to you because you pick up on the first word and am convinced I mean that? It is true of course, I do do that ie I am a literal person, but am trying to learn to keep quite and wait for more information. My husband has always complained that I do not know how to change my volume when I am talking and well, I did put that down to growing up with a household of 7 and the tv on all the time, but now see, it is an aspie thing, because I am totally unaware of keeping to the same volume when in the same room and when I get excited, my volume control seems to have vanished lol

I tried to forget about it all, thinking that I could not possibly have it and come on, it is easy enough to read something and think that is you, but the more I tried to forget, the more, it would hit me and it was a case of: oh my goodness, yes, that is so me and wow, I remember being that way when I was a child.

I am very reluctant to get an official diagnosis for I live in France and I just do not trust them to be open minded ie take a series of tests and if I do not do one thing or ok with one thing, they will slam me that I am not, when I know very well I am!

I have had it confirmed actually via some people I know. So all that is left is an official confirmation and I am fighting against that and just want people to accept my word for something!

So, I joined this forum, in the hope that I will learn.

It is hard being married because my husband does have a lot to deal with and I do as well, because he shouts at me in frustration and so we have a very choppy time together!

I feel that I have written way too much here and so, I shall not go on and on and on

Welcome :)

It sounds like you're relieved to finally be talking about it. Don't worry, our members are quite friendly, and helpful, here. Feel free to join in on conversations, and ask questions.

I'd like to recommend a few links, which might prove helpful.

Resources (books, web sites, etc): Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Information regarding women on the spectrum:

Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

Day 62: Females with Asperger’s Syndrome (Non-Official) Checklist | Everyday Asperger's

Unofficial online AS tests: Online Tests | Life on the Spectrum

Dr. Tony Attwood (world renown expert): Home

Hope those are helpful for you.

Welcome,

I am new too. I arrived here after getting an official diagnosis and wondering what the heck it all meant. That said, I wish I or someone else self diagnosed me many years ago. I'm sorry you received the response you did and I understand the fear. I was scared to go in and get the diagnosis, I knew something was wrong... was it a tumor, brain injury, or purely psychological? But I did it to put my wondering mind to rest and to help out my relationship as we were constantly having communication problems that had worsened over the years. Although my diagnosis is new, my partner and I are already looking at a whole new way of improving our communication skills. I am hopeful things will improve.

Also, there are a lot of people here that are self-diagnosed and may have no interest in getting an official diagnosis.

It seems like there are good folks on the forum, friendly and welcoming. I'm glad you joined.

Best
JF

Welcome to AC, Suzanne. I think you'll find you have a great deal in common with many of us.

Welcome to AC, Suzanne. I think you'll find you have a great deal in common with many of us.

I do hope so, for it is such a struggle when trying to communicate with ones who are "normal" and I am often put down, for being too literal and lacking a sense of humor for I am not getting the actual joke and because the person is joking at my expense, I think she is being literal and whoa, so embarrassing when I get the look of: wow I was only joking; lighten up! I wish I was one who couldn't read emotions!!!

Welcome,

I am new too. I arrived here after getting an official diagnosis and wondering what the heck it all meant. That said, I wish I or someone else self diagnosed me many years ago. I'm sorry you received the response you did and I understand the fear. I was scared to go in and get the diagnosis, I knew something was wrong... was it a tumor, brain injury, or purely psychological? But I did it to put my wondering mind to rest and to help out my relationship as we were constantly having communication problems that had worsened over the years. Although my diagnosis is new, my partner and I are already looking at a whole new way of improving our communication skills. I am hopeful things will improve.

Also, there are a lot of people here that are self-diagnosed and may have no interest in getting an official diagnosis.

It seems like there are good folks on the forum, friendly and welcoming. I'm glad you joined.

Best
JF

Hello Jasper. First, thank you so much for saying you are glad I joined and not even knowing me lol

I wish I could get an official diagnosis because like you, I need to have it stated once and for all and quite frankly, ones put so much store in what flipping dr's say, that it would ease my burden much, but being in France, the test would naturally be in French and although, I can read a bit, I know I will understand it differently to what is stated and thus, fearful of them saying I do not have it! It is strange, but I do want to be aspie, because it answers so much questions about the way I am!

My husband is sort of coming around to the notion that I am aspie and when I take courage and share new information with him ( obsessed does help lol), he does try to take certain things on board and now, rather than almost shout at me or treat me like a child, he will say: darling, I am in here now and that does help to prompt me to walk in and try to talk at a different volume. He is also now saying: I do not mean that to be literal Suzanne and that helps. Also, when I go into melt down, he comes over and says: well all you have to do is such and such and that calms me down!

I am so glad that your partner, is helping you!

New Threads

Top Bottom