• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Announcing Adventurelib Anthology(a.k.a. Python Anthology), a collection of text adventures by me, written in Python 3

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
Good evening Autismforums, it is 11:16 PM where I live and I've just had my routine "keep myself from fantasizing about brutally murdering people for no reason" medication (as well as some shake I had laying around for added effect :p ), and a few songs and videos I love On the good old Tube have inspired me. After hours of binge-watching walkthroughs for text adventures from the 80s, my autistic hyperfixation, as well as my lil buddy Aloe, have guided me to start on my first ever (for real this time :p ) serious text adventure project. (Read: I have many more serious projects on my computer's hard drive for Inform 7 -- you'll need something like WinFrotz to play them properly -- but my desktops power cord went missing so I've been waiting for either a new power cord or a cheap laptop for continuing the projects... yeah...)

As certain.... (sigh) *financial* snags we've hit have prevented me from living my dream of becoming a famous IF author [sic], my latest journey with learning Python 3 to keep me sane, including my recent [ecstatic] discovery of the adventurelib library and how awesomely easy it is to learn, has led me to start thinking of productive ways I could do something creative with my time.
You previously saw a screenshot of a pre-alpha "demo" of my text-adventurized demake of Alone in The Dark, a DOS game by Infrogrames (however you pronounce that word) which kinda started the survival horror genre; according to Maddog this game has a special place in his heart, as he played it in school, and he knows the game well up until the endgame. I've played it a little myself (emphasis on a little) and I ended up having nightmares; the way this game scares you is NOT like Resident Evil. You'll find out how for yourself if you play it. I do kinda love the game though because even for an 80s game, actually scaring a player bad enough to have them hammer the Escape key is pretty damn hard, and AITD pulls it off with one hand behind its back and blindfolded.

Sorry for the ramble. As I was saying, that project of mine is not a simple "write a few lines of code, realize I'm burnt out and take a 'break only to end up sidetracked by family and chores and forget how focused I was" burnout project. I'm *going* to keep building on AITD-text adventure, which by the way, I've given the codename "Frantic" to avoid copyright issues and such, and also to hint at an anxiety mechanic I will add; Carnby (that is, the PC) will actually get frightened, unlike in the original game, and a new "BREATHE" command will need to be entered for several turns until Carnby tells the player he's fine and can keep going. Become too anxious, though, and there is a chance you'll panic and end up dropping items in your inventory (you will lose control for a turn and attempt to move to the nearest exit available) or even worse, your heart might give out, so be careful exploring Derceto this way! :)

Cause I love you guys so much, here are some teasers for the first volume of PA:

Spectrum Files Act 1 -- You're autistic. Your family isn't. You know what to do to survive mentally. (An experimental POV through the eyes of a previously unnamed PC with ASD)

Oasis Files 1 -- You have discovered how to physically shift to the fabled Oasis, and have finally met Aloe physically. She needs your help to restore UberScout's faith in humanity and help cleanse his heart. By the way, have you met Aloe's grandmother? Everyone says she's a great alchemist...

Bricks: Hands Not Made For Building: You are a LEGO mini figure in a child's room who has somehow come to life. Realizing you are not like the human who owns you and the rest of your set, you set out to discover what it means to be human...

The Pendant's Reprieve -- A fan made sequel to a somewhat well-known graphic adventure, Uninvited, made for the NES and various 80s PCs, and at one point itself was made into a text adventure (one of my favorites, by the way -- where the hell is that bottle of No-Ghost?!)

Stay Tooned! Er, I mean, stay tuned!!
Hehe, sorry about the typo, I think I Drew a Blanc there...

New Threads

Top Bottom