• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Animated Films - Embarassed to watch them...why?

Newt

Hello, I'd just like to say I'm a new member here, but I don't expect to be a regular poster as I've learned to cope with my AS in recent years.

However, there is one bizarre issue I have that I've never been able to understand. I think it would be worth noting that I am a MASSIVE film fanatic in my early 20s. I've pretty much grew up on films of different kinds of cinema for as long as I can remember. As a child, I was mostly exposed to what you'd expect. It was mostly kids fare, usually of the Disney/Pixar/other animated variety, and that changed to a few actioners and comedies in my early teens. Let's just say that I was in love with these movies for years, and even built up a collection of Pixar's work on DVD, and became fascinated with the whole medium of animation.

As I started to get to my mid-teens however, things started to change. I quickly moved on from that, and instead fed my movie habit with a diet of crime and action-thrillers from the 70s, 80s and 90s, basically quite iconic and more "adult" movies that I had missed out on as a child. It wasn't just that however, trying to revisit stuff I liked in my early years has always given me this awkward feeling. It usually depends on the film, but putting on anything of the aforementioned variety may result in this feeling, where I'll start sweating heavily and get a horrible itch in my scalp. It's hard to describe it really, but maybe it's something in my mind telling me that I'm too old for this kind of stuff? It's happened for the past 5-6 years or so and it's beginning to bug me. What I'm basically trying to say is, I want to watch whatever I want without feeling anxious or embarrassed by it (for whatever reason), I don't want to feel like I'm too "old" for something just because it doesn't have tough-guy gangsters, hard-boiled cops and violent shootouts in it.

I've recently started taking an interest in animation again, and have started a course on it at my university, but this irritating feeling still continues to be a problem. It's sad as well because there's still lots of great animated fare out there that I want to see (like various Disney features), but just because it's not some R/18-rated action/horror/crime flick with a 100+ on-screen deaths or uses of the f-bomb, the thought of doing so just makes me anxious.

Why do I feel like this? Is there any way I can curbstomp it once and for all? I hope you all can give me some input.

Last edited:
I don't know you, so I'm gonna make some assumptions here that might be laughably wrong.

It sounds to me like you're letting society dictate what you're "supposed" to watch way more than what you want to watch yourself.
There's still this sort of general opinion that animations are for kids. To which I usually respond, go watch a few episodes of Rick and Morty or Archer, then tell me again how these are children's shows. There's a stigma on animation and computer games being for children and childish people. This is horribly outdated, but stigmas are slow to fade. And you can choose to feel embarrassed by liking things that are considered for children, but this only hurts you.

Of course it's easier said than done to just let go of these feelings. Maybe talking to other people taking the same course as you are can alleviate some of these? Surely they're also adults that have an above average interest in animation, otherwise they wouldn't be taking that course.

I'm 30 and I think at this point 50% of what I watch is animation. Sure, I get comments from friends and family sometimes, but hey, they've got interests that I don't care about as well. When I feel bad I love watching old Disney movies from back when I was a child because there's this sense of nostalgia there. I'm not ashamed of it, it makes me feel good and it's not immoral or illegal nor is it hurting anyone else. I also like to watch movies with so much violence it becomes funny to me. Nothing wrong with that either.

I think it might also have to do with becoming an adult. During the teenage years many people try to distance themselves as far as possible from things they thought were cool during their childhood. Then, as people come into their twenties, it's okay to like these things again, but only ironically. And at some point you'll just have to decide what you like and don't like and embrace that. Find like-minded people who share your interests. Shrug at the thought that some people might think your interests are for kids. You'll be happier in the long run.

Hello, I'd just like to say I'm a new member here, but I don't expect to be a regular poster as I've learned to cope with my AS in recent years.

However, there is one bizarre issue I have that I've never been able to understand. I think it would be worth noting that I am a MASSIVE film fanatic in my early 20s. I've pretty much grew up on films of different kinds of cinema for as long as I can remember. As a child, I was mostly exposed to what you'd expect. It was mostly kids fare, usually of the Disney/Pixar/other animated variety, and that changed to a few actioners and comedies in my early teens. Let's just say that I was in love with these movies for years, and even built up a collection of Pixar's work on DVD, and became fascinated with the whole medium of animation.

As I started to get to my mid-teens however, things started to change. I quickly moved on from that, and instead fed my movie habit with a diet of crime and action-thrillers from the 70s, 80s and 90s, basically quite iconic and more "adult" movies that I had missed out on as a child. It wasn't just that however, trying to revisit stuff I liked in my early years has always given me this awkward feeling. It usually depends on the film, but putting on anything of the aforementioned variety may result in this feeling, where I'll start sweating heavily and get a horrible itch in my scalp. It's hard to describe it really, but maybe it's something in my mind telling me that I'm too old for this kind of stuff? It's happened for the past 5-6 years or so and it's beginning to bug me. What I'm basically trying to say is, I want to watch whatever I want without feeling anxious or embarrassed by it (for whatever reason), I don't want to feel like I'm too "old" for something just because it doesn't have tough-guy gangsters, hard-boiled cops and violent shootouts in it.

I've recently started taking an interest in animation again, and have started a course on it at my university, but this irritating feeling still continues to be a problem. It's sad as well because there's still lots of great animated fare out there that I want to see (like various Disney features), but just because it's not some R/18-rated action/horror/crime flick with a 100+ on-screen deaths or uses of the f-bomb, the thought of doing so just makes me anxious.

Why do I feel like this? Is there any way I can curbstomp it once and for all? I hope you all can give me some input.
I'm sorry you are feeling this way! I hope you can get past it, because lots of adults love the animated movies! I am 70 years old and my friends and I love to got to them. They are so much better than the filth in other movies. I am unashamed to say I am an animation fan! I'll bet if you ask some other older adults you will be surprised at how many of them like them. All the best to you!

Going to see animated movies with other people might make you feel more comfortable, whether it be friends, a partner or a younger relative if you have one.

As for feeling ashamed, I'd try to stop worrying about social expectations. If you enjoy animated family movies then you enjoy them, there's nothing wrong with that and you're not hurting anybody.

A lot of them throw in clever/hidden adult jokes anyway so we're clearly supposed to be able to enjoy them too. Companies like Disney are so successful because they cater to everyone, they know that children become adults and most will have children themselves, and they don't want to alienate a potential audience.

I am seriously old and I prefer animated flicks. Most movies seem silly or stupidly unreal. Most movies depend on situations or events in the plot and story that are stupidly wrong or impossible.

Animated flicks can do the same things I detest when live actors are doing them and it is fine. "Action" movies where the skyscrapers in a downtown are blown up or burned down by the dozen are just silly. Killing a few hundred ordinary people on the streets who are caught in the crossfire of the "good guys" and the "bad guys" who are having an altercation with mini-guns and high explosive rockets is beyond acceptable and silly for me. But it's OK in a full-animated flick because the animation is clearly not 'real.' And then in animation everything pulls back together and returns to normal. There are no permanent consequences. Nor is there a demand to avoid the impossible like ghosts or spirits or magic.

I have seen one or two Japanese animated flicks that were about real people and events. The cinematography and the stories were fascinating. I watch documentaries on TV. My favorites are various "The Universe" on the Science channel and rebuilding cars on Velocity. Just because these are about dealing with real things. My TV watching is mostly limited to during meals. 20 to 40 minutes once or twice a day. Some TV news for coverage of specific events and especially if severe weather is threatening the area where I live.

I make no apologies for liking or disliking what I watch. And I reserve the right to change it some or to change it completely at any time for reasons that only make sense to me.

Simply, really. I just watch whatever i want to. Tv series on netflix (criminal minds, bones, etc), anime (dubbed or subbed), and the occassional childhood movie. Granted i usually watch tv or movies on my laptop at home late in the evening after work, so there's no one around to make fun of me. I just figure surely there are more people out there like me who enjoy watching an old favorite sometimes instead of something more age appropriate.

Some very informative and insightful responses here. I do appreciate everyone's advice even though replying to every single one is tough. That's another problem I have, feeling like I haven't acknowledged everyone because I didn't quote their posts, lmao. Be assured that I've taken every one of your posts into account.

Going to see animated movies with other people might make you feel more comfortable, whether it be friends, a partner or a younger relative if you have one.

A lot of them throw in clever/hidden adult jokes anyway so we're clearly supposed to be able to enjoy them too. Companies like Disney are so successful because they cater to everyone, they know that children become adults and most will have children themselves, and they don't want to alienate a potential audience.
It's funny actually, I actually went to see Kubo and the Two Springs as part of a class and despite the same awkward feeling I initially got when it started, I quickly grew to like it quite alot. As soon as I got back though, it was back to the usual fare. Similar situation when I went to see Clash of the Titans as part of a 35mm screening in Manchester.

You are right about the fact though that more adult jokes are hidden within their stuff. That's part of why I actually grew to love Zootopia without any problems. It had a much more urban and satirical feel to it (in-jokes about modern society) than alot of other Disney stuff which I guess is why it appealed to me so much.

Animated flicks can do the same things I detest when live actors are doing them and it is fine. "Action" movies where the skyscrapers in a downtown are blown up or burned down by the dozen are just silly. Killing a few hundred ordinary people on the streets who are caught in the crossfire of the "good guys" and the "bad guys" who are having an altercation with mini-guns and high explosive rockets is beyond acceptable and silly for me.
Buildings being "blown up" by the dozen sounds more like a typical disaster movie to me, and I can almost certainly say that I am NOT a fan of those at all, even those are too ridiculous by my standards. I mean "action" films in the sense of one-man armies, cyborgs and buddy-cop films (even though I admittedly exaggerated some details), usually pre-2000 since older films for me have a certain charm to them that newer films just can't replicate.

Simply, really. I just watch whatever i want to. Tv series on netflix (criminal minds, bones, etc), anime (dubbed or subbed), and the occassional childhood movie. Granted i usually watch tv or movies on my laptop at home late in the evening after work, so there's no one around to make fun of me. I just figure surely there are more people out there like me who enjoy watching an old favorite sometimes instead of something more age appropriate.
To be honest, I really think what would help would be for me to revisit the entire Pixar canon. I have most of their stuff on Blu-ray (as I like to have a seizable collection) but they've more or less just been sitting there between all the actioners and crime-thrillers. If I were to watch all their stuff in order again, I think I would grow back a fondness for them.

Last edited:
hi GST95,so are you a mancunian? i am from central manchester.
i know of a few autistic things that may interest you including a canal boat that travels through manchester/cheshire waters full of art painted by autistics and you can see it for free,theres autism trafford [i think its called that] a support/social group for autistics,then theres stepping stones across the spectrum,a social/activity group run in manchester,prestwich,salford and stockport for people all over the spectrum.

as for the original topic,you just need to come to terms with yourself growing up,you think you have to act a certain way but if you look into the amount of mature adults who watch animation of all kinds you might feel a bit better.
i absolutely love animation more than anything because of my visual perception being terrible and the colours and lines of certain cartoons stimulating me,i watch anything from spongebob to bobs burgers to anime like; the cat returns.

what do you think about cartoons like family guy/american dad and bobs burgers? do you think they are for children or adults?

i also like regular kids tv like in the night garden and something special,i get a lot of input out of it as well as it being solidly built into my routine.
i might like cartoons or kids tv but i am more grown up/experienced in life than my older aspie sister,i dont see a connection between cartoons and kids, i think if you like something and it doesnt harm anyone then why not?

dont worry about not wanting much aspie support,aspie central is also a social thing not necessarily a support thing,so its good for that sort of input to.

hi GST95,so are you a mancunian? i am from central manchester.
i know of a few autistic things that may interest you including a canal boat that travels through manchester/cheshire waters full of art painted by autistics and you can see it for free,theres autism trafford [i think its called that] a support/social group for autistics,then theres stepping stones across the spectrum,a social/activity group run in manchester,prestwich,salford and stockport for people all over the spectrum.
Manchester is quite a distance from me, I live in the Lancashire area between Preston and Manchester, but much closer to Preston (UCLAN of which I attend). Shame since Manchester is a brilliant city with lots to see and go.

I don't consider myself a massive art fanatic though it is nice to admire. I'm more into urban architecture and entertainment like movies, music and games. I also have a big fascination with wildlife, particularly reptiles. Hope that gives some insight about me.

as for the original topic,you just need to come to terms with yourself growing up,you think you have to act a certain way but if you look into the amount of mature adults who watch animation of all kinds you might feel a bit better.
i absolutely love animation more than anything because of my visual perception being terrible and the colours and lines of certain cartoons stimulating me,i watch anything from spongebob to bobs burgers to anime like; the cat returns.

what do you think about cartoons like family guy/american dad and bobs burgers? do you think they are for children or adults?
I'm glad you asked that. I used to be a big fan of Seth Macfarlane shows like Family Guy and American Dad. I was also big on Matt Groening stuff like The Simpsons and Futurama. I kind of stopped watching those however once I got into South Park, which I personally find to be far funnier and well-written. I will say though it's not just about being animated, it's also about the tone of it. If something looks a little too cute and friendly, I may feel more awkward over it.

I also think that my perceptions of the real world may be a factor in it. My outlook on life has changed a lot over the years, and seeing how violent and mean the real world can be makes the worlds portrayed in certain films seem way too care-free and perfect. Alot of animated films though have truly deplorable villains that aren't much of a step higher than those in real-life, despite that the hero always wins most of the time (though the same could be said about most of the action movies I watch).

i might like cartoons or kids tv but i am more grown up/experienced in life than my older aspie sister,i dont see a connection between cartoons and kids, i think if you like something and it doesnt harm anyone then why not?
That reminds me. I've always hated it when somebody says "if you like X then you're an idiot/retard/whatever". Regardless of how much you hate something, why do you care if that makes someone else happy? Same goes for rabid fanboys who attack people when they dare to criticise something they love. I used to be like that but then I grew up and realised that people are always going to have different opinions.

dont worry about not wanting much aspie support,aspie central is also a social thing not necessarily a support thing,so its good for that sort of input to.
Thanks. I've taken a liking to the community here, and would not put aside the idea of posting again if something else is on my mind.

I don't like most kids shows and usually only like to watch cooking shows or things that are non- fiction or reality based. I've read it's typical for aspies to prefer non-fiction. Despite this for some reason there are some shows my four year old watches that I genuinely enjoy. It is a little embarrassing thought because it's not even the older kid stuff, I really like watching Curious George and Sesame Street and Daniel Tiger with him, there are others though like the Cat in the Hat or Peg + Cat I can't stand.

I have this same kind of feeling about animated things, I tend to enjoy them more than realistic, live action things, and I have no problem with that but I do kinda feel a little self-conscious about the possibility that people close to me might think it's kinda weird or 'wrong' in some way. Not really sure why - It's just this little niggling feeling inside me that's related to my very small and insignificant desire to integrate and function within regular society without being seen as being TOO eccentric - although a little eccentricity never hurt anybody!

I hate the "animated shows/movies are for kids" attitude that people sometimes have, and I think that's part of the problem. My response to it is usually "well, I have a nice recommendation, why don't you and your little ones watch this cute animated movie about nice fluffy little bunny-rabbits called Watership Down, it's simply adorable! Your kids will love it, I assure you!" (Imagine that spoken like Scar from The Lion King) - actually, I watched that when I was a little kid, it was never a problem - but lots of parents nowadays are really overprotective of their kids to the extent where anything they might see that they find in the slightest bit uncomfortable or upsetting is like "OMG MY KIDS ARE TRAUMATISED AND WILL BE SCARRED FOR LIFE BY THIS EXPERIENCE I DEMAND COMPENSATION TO PAY FOR ALL THE COUNSELLING THEY ARE GOING TO NEED". As such, they defeat their own argument that "animated things are for kids" when confronted with something like Watership Down. But I digress, I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with the thread, and for that I apologise.

Anyways - There are animated movies I could quite happily go to see if it weren't for the fact that I know the place will be full of obnoxious little kids and their entitled parents, so I'd rather just wait until I can buy the DVD (usually for less than the cinema ticket costs) and watch in the comfort of my own home. Seriously, navigating myself through any crowd of people is unpleasant for me, but when it's a crowd of kids, it's 100x worse. Especially when, in the event that a little kid who isn't looking where it's going bumps into me and falls over and cries, and I was unable to move out of its way without knocking some other kid over in the process, there's always a threat of being RAGED at by the kid's parent(s) for no reason other than that they think total strangers should worship the ground their kids walk on. So, yeah - going to watch a kid-friendly movie in the cinema is a massive no for me, simply because I don't want to be surrounded by children... or scumbag parents.

My answer to theaters full of children or even just 'full' is to go when no one else does. I like the first show of the day. Even on a Saturday and if that first showing is before High Noon on a Sunday it is almost assured to be lightly attended even if it is the hottest new release. Don't go on the first weekend. Go on the third or fourth weekend.

The other trick is to attend the last showing. If that is possible. A 10 or 11 PM showing on a weeknight. I have seen a lot of "Private Viewings" in Week 2 or Week 3 at that last showing of the day and am almost assured of a Private Viewing by Week 5 or 6 on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

I would note that I am resident in an area/region/neighborhoods where I am relatively safe being out after the movie ends after midnight. Personal safety and common sense must prevail.

I have this same kind of feeling about animated things, I tend to enjoy them more than realistic, live action things, and I have no problem with that but I do kinda feel a little self-conscious about the possibility that people close to me might think it's kinda weird or 'wrong' in some way. Not really sure why - It's just this little niggling feeling inside me that's related to my very small and insignificant desire to integrate and function within regular society without being seen as being TOO eccentric - although a little eccentricity never hurt anybody!

I hate the "animated shows/movies are for kids" attitude that people sometimes have, and I think that's part of the problem. My response to it is usually "well, I have a nice recommendation, why don't you and your little ones watch this cute animated movie about nice fluffy little bunny-rabbits called Watership Down, it's simply adorable! Your kids will love it, I assure you!" (Imagine that spoken like Scar from The Lion King) - actually, I watched that when I was a little kid, it was never a problem - but lots of parents nowadays are really overprotective of their kids to the extent where anything they might see that they find in the slightest bit uncomfortable or upsetting is like "OMG MY KIDS ARE TRAUMATISED AND WILL BE SCARRED FOR LIFE BY THIS EXPERIENCE I DEMAND COMPENSATION TO PAY FOR ALL THE COUNSELLING THEY ARE GOING TO NEED". As such, they defeat their own argument that "animated things are for kids" when confronted with something like Watership Down. But I digress, I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with the thread, and for that I apologise.

Anyways - There are animated movies I could quite happily go to see if it weren't for the fact that I know the place will be full of obnoxious little kids and their entitled parents, so I'd rather just wait until I can buy the DVD (usually for less than the cinema ticket costs) and watch in the comfort of my own home. Seriously, navigating myself through any crowd of people is unpleasant for me, but when it's a crowd of kids, it's 100x worse. Especially when, in the event that a little kid who isn't looking where it's going bumps into me and falls over and cries, and I was unable to move out of its way without knocking some other kid over in the process, there's always a threat of being RAGED at by the kid's parent(s) for no reason other than that they think total strangers should worship the ground their kids walk on. So, yeah - going to watch a kid-friendly movie in the cinema is a massive no for me, simply because I don't want to be surrounded by children... or scumbag parents.
Just curious, why do you hate anyone who has kids and think having children automatically makes them an entitled scumbag?

Just curious, why do you hate anyone who has kids and think having children automatically makes them an entitled scumbag?
I don't hate anyone, with or without kids, nor do I think that people with kids are automatically entitled scumbags. I was using those words to express my distaste for crowds of people within that type of environment, rather than dismiss each and every human being in the universe who happens to have kids as terrible people (I mean, that's literally billions of people right there).

The larger the crowd, the greater the chance of crossing paths with somebody like that, however - I think for the average size/capacity of most cinemas, there's likely to be at least one of them!

I'm quite happy to watch whatever I like, whether it be some stupid action film, serious documentary or animation. I even love cartoons that are "technically" for kids, as shown by my avatar. So long as I enjoy it, I don't see what anyone else thinks as being relevant.

There are animated movies I could quite happily go to see if it weren't for the fact that I know the place will be full of obnoxious little kids and their entitled parents,
So, yeah - going to watch a kid-friendly movie in the cinema is a massive no for me, simply because I don't want to be surrounded by children... or scumbag parents.
Maybe it was something you said that made me ask that? Or maybe I was just taking you literally, we aspies tend to do that you know. I get the hating crowds part, I hate crowds of people, but I like children. :)

When I was a child in the 50s and 60s, there always seemed to be a stigma around adults who constantly watched animated features. With only one exception- Disney features.

But it seemed with CGI and computer animation in general, that stigma has pretty much evaporated. I mean marketing of such shows may still likely target children, but it's no longer not cool for an adult to see them. Then again sometimes I wonder that some of them actually are aimed at targeting adults. I found "The Secret Life of Pets" to be pretty funny in ways children may or may not have understood.

I'm also reminded of how a studio rep mentioned not too long ago in a financial interview that they are rapidly approaching the point where virtual reality will become indistinguishable from reality.

So these days...it's all good no matter what age you are. Enjoy.

Maybe it was something you said that made me ask that? Or maybe I was just taking you literally, we aspies tend to do that you know. I get the hating crowds part, I hate crowds of people, but I like children. :)
Yes, I understand why you thought that, I would've probably thought the same thing if I didn't already know what I meant by default (I have a frustrating tendency to just assume that because I know what I mean, so does everyone else!) but probably wouldn't have bothered to call myself out on it :p I will defend my "obnoxious little kids" comment by pointing out that I find pretty much all kids obnoxious in some way simply because of my sensory issues.

Judge I do think the stigma is still there to a certain extent, perhaps more prevalent within the older generation. I'd be interested to see what my mother thinks about Bronies, for example. And as I typed that, she just got home, I might go and talk to her about bronies right now!

I'm 34 years old and I love Disney princess movies especially Beauty and the beast,The little Mermaid and Cinderella,i went through a short phase where I thought I shouldn't still like these movies but it didn't last long and continued to watch cartoons regardless of what others said,don't let anyone make you feel too "old" for cartoons because at the end of the day it should be something that makes you happy regardless what others think.

New Threads

Top Bottom