• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Analytical Aspie or Emotional Aspie?

Emotionally sensitive. :tulip: Privately, logic has always ultimately been my safe harbor after passing through emotional experiences.

I appreciate (and find comforting) a mate who may operate and present as analytical, but who has plenty of caring emotions inside. This sort is quite rewarding to spoil.

My emotional part might say, "I feel like crying, this is so sad", my logical part will respond, "why? I don't understand. This emotional response is illogical. You don't benefit from crying in any way" in many cases I listen to my logical part, because it makes complete sense :)

My emotional part might say, "I feel like crying, this is so sad", my logical part will respond, "why? I don't understand. This emotional response is illogical. You don't benefit from crying in any way" in many cases I listen to my logical part, because it makes complete sense :)

I find myself fighting back tears in the same way. I'll start crying at sappy movies or certain highly emotional dramas, and then think, this crying it makes no sense, you are not involved in this in any way so cut it out. It is a very odd struggle.

My NT partner, who I've never seen cry at a movie, used to tease me about it, but I told her it really upset me that she made fun of me about it. Now she is a truly logical person, but man oh man, when the emotions come on it is pretty powerful, time to duck and cover.

I, emotions kept hidden away, analytical was my work, solving problems others could not. Single, looks like forever. Never had ability to express feelings to another, but feelings were their none the less. Did not know my problem. Hello problem.

I suppose there's no perfect way to describe an aspie. There are many ways to do so. The majority of Aspies will fit into the generalisations very well, some on the other hand will remain anomalies. Anyone that's done statistics. How often do you see perfect uniformity to any statistical test?

I don't respond much to the emotions of others. For example, I don't cry or feel anything in response to movies or disasters or news events - that doesn't mean that I'm indifferent or don't care - I just don't react in that way. If anything, I react with disbelief,or even anger that such things can go on, and seek out more information to try to understand it better, but I don't feel moved in the same way that other people report feeling. And yet I can easily become overwhelmed by my own internal emotions such as anger, frustration, and find myself suddenly in tears without warning. My internal emotions are completely separate and disconnected from those of people around me.

My emotions are deep down inside, and other than getting stressed and anxious, or occasionally angry, they rarely surface in any sort of authentic way.

It's very frustrating and lonely to be so deeply emotional inside, and yet have absolutely no outlet for sharing that part of myself with other people. When I have tried to let them out, I've either shut down or become overly emotional and unable to manage myself well, which always leads to a deep depression.

Before I figured out about AS, I thought I just needed to trust people more and work at being more authentic so I could learn to be emotional with people without losing control. I tried and tried for soooo many years to break through whatever those defenses were, but it always just came out looking like attention-seeking behaviors, which I abhor.

I think there is some confusion about emotions; this is not an either/or scenario. Emotions in humans are reactions to the environment, just as they are in animals. Emotions are built-into mammals. There are only 3 or 4 emotions - basic stuff: fear, anger, etc. Emotions are only supposed to get your attention (Tiger!) and get you out of danger. Even "love" emotion is a shot of adrenalin - which is why being attracted to someone can make you nervous or have butterflies in your stomach. It's how you handle emotion that is individual for you.

The 'odd' thing about Aspies (as far as I know) is that 1. We often don't know what we are feeling - or we are simply "blank." I describe this as observer mode. 2. We have a strong reaction to get away, due to mixed messages, confusing or illogical social circumstances or people who "creep us out." Danger mode. 3. We feel overwhelmed by "hurt" due to dishonesty, injustice that are contrary to instinctive and non-negotiable values.

As for me, the "blank mode" is quite typical. Neurotypicals apparently think every situation and interaction and relationship requires endless emotional turmoil - but I don't react emotionally to most of their problems, which in my mind just don't require emotion at all. As in, if they made better decisions they wouldn't be so emotionally screwed up.

I think Aspergers emotional systems are closer to that of animals. Asperger: The HypoSocial Human | Investigating the Asperger brain as a legacy of ancestral humans

New Threads

Top Bottom