• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An Introductory Attempt

PPOI!

‘ello there, folks. Your bristly neighborhood PPOI! here.

To be honest, probably half a year ago from now, I had had NO IDEA I would be here.

My childhood sucked. Family problems, not fitting in at school, feeling like an idealistic overachiever at my core, and a weak, nutso sloth smothering me and bringing me down constantly. I have some successes, stumble through life, wreck relationships and slither from job to job. Life goes on.

I’m a little past 30 now. I’d been diagnosed with major depression and social/generalized anxiety. Over the years the ADHD possibility has been tossed around by doctors and acquaintances alike, but I never had the resources for a diagnosis. There were a few other blips in my mental health record, mainly a type of PTSD.

And so, erm, a while back I started talking with this guy online. He’s smart and nice, but has some quirks and moods. He admits he doesn’t really have a social life. I reply, hey, it’s cool, I don’t either. He says it's because of his ASD. Okay. But he still turned out really cool and supportive from early on and fun to chat / game with so we both awkwardly profess our friendship to each other. LUL.

In the meantime, in spite of my being a fruit salad of mental health and other brain issues, I find myself realizing that I actually don’t know much about the Spectrum. That won’t do. I have a friend-being now, and I must commune with him.

I research. Read, watch, listen. Things start sounding too familiar. I think a different friend who knows me and my quirks and my past pretty well flatly asked, “are you sure you don’t have Asperger's?” (There was context, I promise.) I think I brushed it off during that time. But.

But after stumbling upon some videos on the common traits of autism spectrum disorders in females... I must renege. To some degree, I have begun feeling like everything is me, to some degree - it’s nuts.

I am finding myself very confused right now.

My life has been series of deep and dark depressions, feeling alienated and uncertain, chasing after the fixation of the moment, misreading people all of the time then dealing with the fallout, breaking down, building back up, weaving together a blanket of coping mechanisms I hope will blunt the fall next time.

Being that I am such a hot mess, and do not even have the resources to deal with some physical afflictions that have come up, I feel stuck. I don’t know if I should take this seriously, and I don’t want to feel like I am trying to get some type of attention or push for a handout.

Currently, I feel like I'm fretting over all the ASD101 syllabus topics: “What do I do now?”, “Should I seek a diagnosis?”, “Who do I tell?”, “Where did I put my headphones?”

So the journey continues. I hope to get to know about myself, the condition, (if it applies to me), and the members here as well. Please be patient with me, guys! I look forward and hope for good things here. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
upload_2018-12-29_6-17-9.png

Welcome to the forums!

You sound a little like me, I didn't know about the spectrum or the possibility of being on it until I was about 30. I'm 32 now and was diagnosed this year. I also have a myriad of other mental health disorders - depression, general/social anxiety and the like... And seemingly getting a diagnosis for ASD seemed almost pointless in some way... But then again, having it now, put the other disorders into perspective. There's a reason why I have anxiety, a reason why depression went as deep as it did. If anything, it gave me a bit of closure to know that I wasn't broken, but my brain just worked differently. It gave me the opportunity to go a little easier on myself and learn how to manage anxiety better - what to avoid, how to work on things a little bit at a time so I don't get overwhelmed and have a meltdown.

Getting to know yourself is always better, because you can help yourself from a more informed place. :)

WARM welkome dear :)

try to NOT let al this scare you hon it sounds like we have a similar background and i got my ASD diagnose around 30 as well (al the others way earlier ,Obviously i had ASD since birth as well BUT in us females the symptoms are more subtle then in males so its not that uncommon for us to be diagnosed later or indeed find out we have multiple diagnosis ) infact its mor or less the norm to have utliest 2 diagnosis within this NSD spectrum (and its even more common to have both ADHD and ASD )

Welcome to the forums!

You sound a little like me, I didn't know about the spectrum or the possibility of being on it until I was about 30. I'm 32 now and was diagnosed this year. I also have a myriad of other mental health disorders - depression, general/social anxiety and the like... And seemingly getting a diagnosis for ASD seemed almost pointless in some way... But then again, having it now, put the other disorders into perspective. There's a reason why I have anxiety, a reason why depression went as deep as it did. If anything, it gave me a bit of closure to know that I wasn't broken, but my brain just worked differently. It gave me the opportunity to go a little easier on myself and learn how to manage anxiety better - what to avoid, how to work on things a little bit at a time so I don't get overwhelmed and have a meltdown.

Getting to know yourself is always better, because you can help yourself from a more informed place. :)
Thanks for your reply!!

I have done so many intakes and analyses and sessions and still my bar for functioning was quite low... I have been in this “maybe this is as good as it’s going to get” kind of funk recently.

It must be very difficult to be diagnosed so late, especially with other conditions. Thanks for your take on your new insight and piece of mind. If anything, perhaps that is something I can aim for. Here’s to lifelong learning and growing!

WARM welkome dear :)

try to NOT let al this scare you hon it sounds like we have a similar background and i got my ASD diagnose around 30 as well (al the others way earlier ,Obviously i had ASD since birth as well BUT in us females the symptoms are more subtle then in males so its not that uncommon for us to be diagnosed later or indeed find out we have multiple diagnosis ) infact its mor or less the norm to have utliest 2 diagnosis within this NSD spectrum (and its even more common to have both ADHD and ASD )
Thanks for your reply!

Hahah, I know what you mean but I can’t help but feeling like, “oh, another thing wrong with my brain!” The fact that there’s this gender gap in recognition and treatment is really awful. That and comorbidity with my other things is all so much recently... But I’ll try. Thanks again

Thanks for your reply!

Hahah, I know what you mean but I can’t help but feeling like, “oh, another thing wrong with my brain!” The fact that there’s this gender gap in recognition and treatment is really awful. That and comorbidity with my other things is all so much recently... But I’ll try. Thanks again

If you check my sig (then my profile ) you see im also damaged goods so to say o_O (and in my situation they have more or less resigned to fact that there is multiple other diagnoses yet to discover BUT its not worth the time and effort to dig further as they might not ever be able to find al my different diagnosis (and i agree ) well it is what it is :rolleyes:
And you should know i have dealt with seeing the shrinks and evaluations since i was 4 o_O

If you check my sig (then my profile ) you see im also damaged goods so to say o_O (and in my situation they have more or less resigned to fact that there is multiple other diagnoses yet to discover BUT its not worth the time and effort to dig further as they might not ever be able to find al my different diagnosis (and i agree ) well it is what it is :rolleyes:
And you should know i have dealt with seeing the shrinks and evaluations since i was 4 o_O
hello may I ask do you feel better for seeing a psychiatrist since the age of four I only saw a psychologist in my early 30s I wonder if I would be more calm if I done it earlier thanks

Hi PPOI - I hope you find answers. Keep researching and reading about female aspergers - aspien women. All I ever knew going through life was my struggles and couldn't figure out why it was so much harder for me than it seemed to be for everyone else. It never even crossed my mind about ASD. Once I read an article about female aspergers I was amazed and felt like I could have written that. So I was officially diagnosed at age 59, now 61. It may be too late to help me get through those work years and all, but, at least, now I've got answers.

hello may I ask do you feel better for seeing a psychiatrist since the age of four I only saw a psychologist in my early 30s I wonder if I would be more calm if I done it earlier thanks

EDITED due to clumsy original reply from my side

Hi there :)

Well i can honestly say in my case al this talks with so called pros etc... havent giving me DIDDLY HOWEVER back in my time & prior to this NSD diagnosis wasent that well known nor did they know mush about how to treat it so these days and for younger generation id say YES give it a chance as these days they do know more about how to contain this and help you get youre life in order. In my case nothing more that can be damaged so i have learnt how to deal with al this crap so i dont never have take meds even

Last edited:
Hi there :)

well i can honestly say in MY case AL this talks with so called pros etc... havent giving me DIDDLY HOWEVER back in my time this NSD diagnosis wasent that well known nor did they know mush about how to treat it so these days and you younger generation id say YES give it a chance as these days they do know more about how to contain this and help you get youre life in order. In my case nothing more that can be damaged so i have learnt how to deal with al this crap so i dont never have take meds even
I am one year older than you I did try CBT in the UK are you only get six mandatory sessions

I am one year older than you I did try CBT in the UK are you only get six mandatory sessions

Oh er my bad it wasent ment as any negative or disrespectful Streetwise i assure you this:oops: & i have also edited my clumsy first reply , oh okey well over here we dont have any limit on this matters .

let me then correct my self. As you and those older then me know in our time and prior to this NSD diagnosis wasent that well known nor did they know mush about how to treat it. And finally over here the sad truth of said 70 `s or older generation with NSD diagnosis MANY ended up either in jail for both violent and drug offences or dead or a heavy drug or alcohol addict and those of that dident had the luck of having supporting parents with an angels patience ,and sadly MANY have ended up as i am as we became older usely on permanent sick relief. And again thats how it is over here for the majority of mien and earlier generation with NSD diagnosis.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom