• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I the only one who can’t write in cursive?

dyl

Like I can write my signature in cursive with either my right or left hand, whichever one isn’t lazy that day. I went to a private school which taught cursive in like elementary school and it honestly bored me even though I could write the letters somewhat, does anyone else on here not write in cursive?

Side note- I write in print.

—Dyl

Outside of my signature, I never use it.
I know the correct way to make a capital A (in signature), but have taken the liberty of making it in a way that is more to my liking. It looks like a cross between capital N & capital H.

Sarcasm -- Yes, I am sure, you are the ONLY one who doesn't know how to write in cursive. ;)

The reality is that, if you don't use it, you loose it. In a world where, in most cases, the only time most people actually use cursive is when they are writing their signature, that's pretty much where it ends. Cursive pretty much went away with the hand-written, mailed letter. As we know now, most written communication is some form of typed messaging on an electronic device. Why? For the simple reason that most people had horrible penmanship and couldn't read what was written. Having grown up in a world of engineers and physicians, I think the more educated you are, the more horrible your penmanship. So, thank the Lord for type-written messaging. Unless you enjoy the creative process of hand-written communication via a rather out-dated and non-relevant method, then I wouldn't worry about such things.

Nah, I only write in print.

I only write my name in cursive when signing stuff. Don't know how to write anything else in cursive. They taught us it in elementary school telling us 'in middle school, everything must be in cursive' and yeah that was a lie. Hell, I think most of what I wrote in middle school was typed and either printed out or emailed to my teachers lol.

I use cursive for my signature, but that's it. I also like to write a long string of a few specific words in cursive because it's fun. lmao

Otherwise, I can't just write in cursive. I don't really know all the letters, and even though we were taught it (in only the 3rd grade and it was just a stupid packet we did for 10 mins first thing in the morning, which is not how you teach an AuDHD child to do something!) I never learned how to. I had to teach myself some of it relatively recently. It improved my handwriting though, so I should practice it more.

I can't write in cursive at all, and if I try, it's illegible lol
I have made several posts on here about how I can't hand write and I just type everything.

I technically CAN write cursive. But it has never been easy for me, and even if I try really hard it is sloppy and almost unreadable (even to me, a few hours later). I print in all caps, though I do sometimes use lowercase.

Seems a moot point to me. That like most people, the only cursive thing I write is my signature. Not intended to be technically perfect at all unless you seek counterfeiters to be able to forge it.

Even in my own time before personal computers, laser printers and email I knew very few people who wrote letters to anyone, let alone write extensively in cursive. Unless perhaps their penmanship was immaculately legible.

When I took drafting in high school I discovered I had quite a flare for formal printing, and have always printed everything quite legibly by hand. Though in this day and age, about the only thing I consistently print are my grocery lists, done in quite small printing on a Post-it note. Anything else is most likely written in a word processor, saved in Rich Text Format.

Other than writing a presumably illegible signature, I doubt anyone gives a crap whether one can write in cursive or not.

Last edited:
I can write my signature in cursive and that is it. When my grandparents write in cursive I have to ask what it says.

Regular writing is definitely the way to go for me!

Signature only. I haven't used it in years. I'm not even sure if they teach cursive in grade school any longer to kids, do they?

Signature only. I haven't used it in years. I'm not even sure if they teach cursive in grade school any longer to kids, do they?
That's a good question. I was taught in the early-mid 1970s where it was a big deal, but we didn't have such widespread computers, and no smart phones, at the time.
Still not sure why it was a big deal. Printing is faster, and easier to read. Signatures, fine. Mine is recognizable compared to the rest of my signatures, though illegible.

No, I can't write in cursive. Not even a signature. I was in school in the late 70s/80s, and they taught cursive at the primary school I went to. But it was one of the things I didn't/couldn't/wouldn't learn, and eventually they gave up on trying to get me to write it.

I do still write in cursive..it is much faster for me when taking live notes at work/ school. I am a horrible typist and constantly transpose letters when trying to type simple words. They have not taught cursive in schools here in NYC for years now, and I have met several younger people who cannot even read it when neatly written, because they didn't learn to write it.

I think the problem for me, is that in cursive, everything is round and loopy. And so, even though I know how to make the letters, and read them ... it all looks the same. So if I don't pay super careful attention, I'll loop wrong and spell something else, even though I know what I'm writing. It is just so homogenous looking and ... to me seems overly fancy if someone is good at it.

I was skipped over the grad where cursive was taught, and had to catch up. It never got very good, so I reverted to printing, like my AS mother. I did push that into some calligraphy, though. I miss the physical coordination, but having the editing ability of a keyboard saves so much re-work that I use it now. for anything long.

Cursive as used purely as a method of basic type seems to have mostly gone down by the wayside... it makes sense, it's a lot harder to do legibly than normal printing, and then of course you get extra difficulty by the rules of it (never lift your pen off the paper, kids!) so it becomes extra hard to read when it really doesnt need to be.

But the concepts used in it can also be the basis of certain art concepts, so it's still around to a point.

Here, it's like this:

vu84IV1.jpg

I made this awhile back as just a practice thing to show to my father as I was learning this. This is an example of brush lettering (and this is what I specialize in, when it comes to art), which has a lot of traits of cursive while at the same time not actually being that. For instance you dont keep the brush just plastered to the paper the entire time, most letters are made up of multiple separate strokes and you do indeed take the brush/whatever off of the paper between strokes. The basic "a" for instance is two strokes, the first being a circle with pressure on the left of it, and then lift off the paper, then do the downward stroke and curve to the right into whatever letter is next, and then again, off the paper and start the next letter.

In addition, there are general concepts applying to the basic shapes and such but most artists will sort of evolve that into a style of their own, and there's a lot of room for creative flourishes and such.

Unlike cursive though it's absolutely not used for normal writing. It's meant for huge, flowing text, and it is actually very slow to do.

And that's just that, from there you can get into all sorts of screwball fonts and types, but that's a whole other topic.

The funny part with all of this though is that despite my ability to make stuff like that, my actual handwriting is a bunch of unreadable gibberish.

If I really need something in cursive, I have any number of cursive styled True-Type fonts for that. :D

I almost cannot write legibly whether it's cursive or printing. It takes total concentation. I had to retake penmenship in school, I remember. Ah, such a proud moment.

As a homeschool parent, I expected all non-typed assignments to be submitted in cursive. It's an important skill. Are our descendants going to barely be able to scrawl their name in manuscript? No one is talking about this.

There was a textbook of stories, all in cursive, that we would read from every day. It helps the child to be literate in reading cursive, which is far more important than written.

Many of the great documents of Western Civilization were handwritten in cursive. Are our descendants not going to be able to read it, as if it were hieroglyphics? Cursive script needs to be maintained.

As a homeschool parent, I expected all non-typed assignments to be submitted in cursive. It's an important skill. Are our descendants going to barely be able to scrawl their name in manuscript? No one is talking about this.

There was a textbook of stories, all in cursive, that we would read from every day. It helps the child to be literate in reading cursive, which is far more important than written.

Many of the great documents of Western Civilization were handwritten in cursive. Are our descendants not going to be able to read it, as if it were hieroglyphics? Cursive script needs to be maintained.
Well, if you were a teacher and I was your student, I'd fail it seems :/

New Threads

Top Bottom