• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I jinxed?

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
It just seems like so many things go wrong for me, most of the time...

Like the simple task of getting some new tires for the winter for my car...

Last Saturday, drop off car at the tire shop, then went downtown on public transit just to spend some time outside on a Saturday afternoon...

Late afternoon, get a call back, one of the four new tires is no good, won't hold air and has some damage on it... Ugh!

Went back to the shop, they mounted three new tires plus one of my old tires (still has good tread), the manager tells me to come in during the week and he'll take care of the single tire when it comes in but it's safe to drive... I worked all day 7 AM to 5:30 PM, but got off work after 8 hours to head down to the shop, manager says he'll find a way to squeeze it in... Tire shops are super busy right now with people buying/swapping tires for winter!

I got there at 4:15 PM, waited, waited, waited, waited, etc... Finally after two hours of twiddling my thumbs and doing nothing talk to him, it's 6:15 he says they will get it into the service bay for 7:30! :eek: I'm one single person and one car, I need my car!

I decided to go home rather than wait, now I'm booked for an early morning 8:30 AM appointment on Saturday, so that makes it three appointments to get four new tires installed! :mad:

It's not really the fault of the shop, they didn't know one tire was faulty (they order them from the main warehouse), today they were short one mechanic thus way behind schedule, he assured me they should have full staff on Saturday...

Am I jinxed? Things like this happen to me far too often, yes, it's very frustrating, because it screws things up for me... Tonight? I might have gone to an event, by the time I got home so late I'm nowhere in the mood for that... Or perhaps I have this grand misconception that everything is always supposed to be picture perfect...

Explains why you don't want to talk about tires. :)
No, you're not jinxed. Car places are really bad for making you wait. Other businesses are just bad. :) I once spent over an hour on the phone just to cancel my car insurance because I found the same insurance coverage for half the price. The lady kept asking me to give her details of my new insurance and I'd say, it's the same, just cancel. She would not let me off the phone and I finally had to tell her that I was not going to review my new insurance with her, if they could get my insurance down cheaper they should have done that already and I just wanted to cancel the insurance and get off the phone. Finally.
And I won't even begin to tell you what I went through to cancel my cell phone coverage.

It once took Sears a fourth time to deliver to me a steel desk was that wasn't damaged.

Yeah...I was beginning to feel "jinxed". Taking time off from work only to receive damaged property- multiple times! Why me? :eek:

Now I suppose Sears is beginning to feel "jinxed" themselves. Looks like all their restructuring may not avert total failure.

Last edited:
I've had like 10 ten flat tires, a dozen car problems, a car accident, and several acts of vandalism and every time I felt lucky in some way HAHA I never considered I was jinxed! I guess it's a lesson on perspective! Weird!

Ultimately it becomes a time waster for me... I really don't want to be at the tire shop at 8:30 on Saturday morning... It was a time waster for me today!

I guess that's how I view it...

I think it is just life and we live in a very imperfect world. Sometimes we aspies dwell on negative events given how our minds tend to be obsessive.

Yeah, I don't think your jinxed. Most people deal with this sort of thing. You might just notice misfortune more, and are more affected by it. :O

I think it is just life and we live in a very imperfect world. Sometimes we aspies dwell on negative events given how our minds tend to be obsessive.

Yeah, I don't think your jinxed. Most people deal with this sort of thing. You might just notice misfortune more, and are more affected by it. :O

That is true, although one particular male customer was a little agitated, I saw him come in two different times being slightly argumentative... I wasn't saying anything, just was extremely bored and had run out of things to read even... I must admit the other male customer started to get me slightly agitated after seeing him...

Sod's law...

It's just one of those things that happen and not anybody's fault. It's probably equally frustrating for them, too. Perhaps it's better to sort these things out earlier before the main rush?

That is not a Jinx. Its typical car maintenance. It always takes forever. For everyone. You dragged it out by not waiting and getting it done late - then having to come back.

I don't believe in 'Jinxes' or any such superstition myself. I'd own black cats if I didn't have 4 dogs - silly people don't buy or adopt them. :( I purposely walk under ladders, break old mirrors, etc, etc.

This is not on you, it's on the business. I firmly believe that a business should be professional. If anything goes wrong, all the customer should hear is "We've taken care of it" or "Here's how we'll make it right for you." The customer shouldn't have to hear all the business's troubles and complications.

When that tire shop drags you into all their troubles like that, it tells me they're running with no back-up plan, and not planning ahead. When one thing goes wrong (Oops, not enough tires!), it has a domino effect on everything else they do. It's not a good way to run a business. It's a good way to ruin a business.

The big rush is here already for tire changes... I have my 8:30 appointment Saturday morning and he barely squeezed that in... Now out of the blue today work announced a shift for Saturday, I have to make my appointment, the next one will be weeks away... I might go in after my appointment...

Also this Saturday is the day of our biggest collectable show, one day show, more "fun" for this week, I don't want to go into work on Saturday but might anyway, the chaos of life... The disappointment of life... o_O

It just seems like so many things go wrong for me, most of the time...

Like the simple task of getting some new tires for the winter for my car...

Last Saturday, drop off car at the tire shop, then went downtown on public transit just to spend some time outside on a Saturday afternoon...

Late afternoon, get a call back, one of the four new tires is no good, won't hold air and has some damage on it... Ugh!

Went back to the shop, they mounted three new tires plus one of my old tires (still has good tread), the manager tells me to come in during the week and he'll take care of the single tire when it comes in but it's safe to drive... I worked all day 7 AM to 5:30 PM, but got off work after 8 hours to head down to the shop, manager says he'll find a way to squeeze it in... Tire shops are super busy right now with people buying/swapping tires for winter!

I got there at 4:15 PM, waited, waited, waited, waited, etc... Finally after two hours of twiddling my thumbs and doing nothing talk to him, it's 6:15 he says they will get it into the service bay for 7:30! :eek: I'm one single person and one car, I need my car!

I decided to go home rather than wait, now I'm booked for an early morning 8:30 AM appointment on Saturday, so that makes it three appointments to get four new tires installed! :mad:

It's not really the fault of the shop, they didn't know one tire was faulty (they order them from the main warehouse), today they were short one mechanic thus way behind schedule, he assured me they should have full staff on Saturday...

Am I jinxed? Things like this happen to me far too often, yes, it's very frustrating, because it screws things up for me... Tonight? I might have gone to an event, by the time I got home so late I'm nowhere in the mood for that... Or perhaps I have this grand misconception that everything is always supposed to be picture perfect...
I can identify with you because at times it is really easy to fall into that pattern of thinking. I have to fight that tendency all of the time, especially in light of the fact that I have trouble holding on to jobs. When I was fired from my most recent job last Friday, I wondered for a fleeting moment if I might be jinxed as well. However, I do what I do best which is to pick myself up and dust myself off. It's hard to do this when you're stuck in a rough patch of life but it's an important thing to do to keep from becoming depressed. It doesn't feel good to be knocked down but it sure does feel good to stand back up and say, "You know what. I am going to do something else."

You're not jinxed. Things like this happen just as often to normal people. What I find most bizarre is that they experience this and forget it, like it never happened. They remember the individual incidents and forget the trend. I used to feel like bad things always happened to me more than others, then I realized they just cope by forgetting.

I saw it the most spectacularly at work. When I am a customer, it's so common that there is an "uncommon" problem that I think I must be a problem magnet. But when I worked at McDonald's or in a call center, all we did all day was handle "uncommon" issues. These problems ARE the norm.

"The trend" is an arbitrary connection your mind is making between events of similar emotional content. It's the same as people who say "everything happens for a reason" and then "finds" the reason for everything.

I saw it the most spectacularly at work. When I am a customer, it's so common that there is an "uncommon" problem that I think I must be a problem magnet. But when I worked at McDonald's or in a call center, all we did all day was handle "uncommon" issues. These problems ARE the norm.

Like the world's longest customer when I'm in a hurry, and my impatience sets in... To be fair, I used to work at a full-serve gas station, so I know what you mean...

I've thought that for a long time. Seems everything I do has some sort of roadblock, and when others try the same thing it goes through without a hitch. My dad even says I can never seem to catch a break.

The tire thing, I think that's just a state of the modern world. Not to start a political discussion, but it seems more and more places are just getting by on as little as they can, hiring low paid people who don't know what they are doing, selling cheap junk merchandise, because it's cheaper to just deal with the rework than provide a quality service to begin with. One of the reasons why I do nearly everything myself, and am always learning to do more. I can't trust anyone to do a quality job anymore, that is if you can even find anyone around here to do the work to begin with. That's not just me, I hear it from everybody.

I just got some tires for a car I picked up this summer and am refinishing the wheels. I'm dreading finding a quality shop to put the tires on. I've been to countless shops around here and every one of them has mounted tires that leaked from day one. One even left an old valve stem bouncing around inside the tire when they gave it to me. Seriously? Every time requires me to take time off work.

New Threads

Top Bottom