• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Am I jinxed?

The tire thing, I think that's just a state of the modern world. Not to start a political discussion, but it seems more and more places are just getting by on as little as they can, hiring low paid people who don't know what they are doing, selling cheap junk merchandise, because it's cheaper to just deal with the rework than provide a quality service to begin with. One of the reasons why I do nearly everything myself, and am always learning to do more. I can't trust anyone to do a quality job anymore, that is if you can even find anyone around here to do the work to begin with. That's not just me, I hear it from everybody.
This is definitely accurate, at least throughout the USA. I find there are 4 kinds of skilled workers you can get to help you get things done:

1.) low-pay medium cost; does an awful job and has no idea what they are doing, usually new to the job -- you get ripped off and the company benefits from the enormous profit margin because they don't pay the employee any of the money you spent on the job

2.) high-pay high cost; does an okay job but isn't nearly as skilled as their price would suggest, does the job too quickly and almost always makes some rookie mistake

3.) high-pay high cost but does a good job; it's not the company, you just got lucky to get someone who cares about their quality of work. Treasure this moment, because they'll probably get laid off in the next year.

4.) a friend who knows how to do the job right; low cost but you have to work around their schedule and most importantly you have to know them for many years and have built up a good relationship, you need to be in their friend circle for them to be willing to make this sacrifice for you

Only about a month ago, my bank card suddenly went missing. My mother helped me get it replaced easily enough, but just this past Friday I discovered it missing again. It must have been over a week ago, because I was sick last week and only went out a couple of times and didn't use my card. I'm too embarrassed to tell my mom, so yesterday I decided to just go to the bank and do it myself. But their computers were down. Maybe it was because of the huge storm we had on Saturday, but I only had around 50$ left on me for groceries and a cab ride home.
I hope their computers are running okay today. Such reliable machines!:rolleyes: My social worker told me she knows someone who loses their bank card several times a month. Maybe she jinxed me by saying that?:confused:

I used to lose things all the time! It seemed like gremlins were following me around and taking my things! I finally figured out the way to make it stop is to put my things in places where I'll look for them. I have a place near my computer where I put a pile of "pocket things", and everything else I make two categories for it:
1.) if I remember I want it before I go out, I put it in the first place I'll look for it
2.) if I forget I want it before I go out, I put it somewhere where I'll stumble across it on my way out

And my mother kept wanting to "put my stuff away" (organize it, so I won't lose it), which was helping me lose it! I had to explain to her that I needed it arranged my way.

I still lose things, but pretty much only when someone else moves my things, or my interactions with them lead to me failing to maintain my placement routines.

I used to lose things all the time! It seemed like gremlins were following me around and taking my things! I finally figured out the way to make it stop is to put my things in places where I'll look for them. I have a place near my computer where I put a pile of "pocket things", and everything else I make two categories for it:
1.) if I remember I want it before I go out, I put it in the first place I'll look for it
2.) if I forget I want it before I go out, I put it somewhere where I'll stumble across it on my way out

And my mother kept wanting to "put my stuff away" (organize it, so I won't lose it), which was helping me lose it! I had to explain to her that I needed it arranged my way.

I still lose things, but pretty much only when someone else moves my things, or my interactions with them lead to me failing to maintain my placement routines.
Then you do better than I do. If I want to remember to bring something I'll put it under my purse so I'll be sure to see it and STILL forget to bring it. lol

It just seems like so many things go wrong for me, most of the time...

Like the simple task of getting some new tires for the winter for my car...

Last Saturday, drop off car at the tire shop, then went downtown on public transit just to spend some time outside on a Saturday afternoon...

Late afternoon, get a call back, one of the four new tires is no good, won't hold air and has some damage on it... Ugh!

Went back to the shop, they mounted three new tires plus one of my old tires (still has good tread), the manager tells me to come in during the week and he'll take care of the single tire when it comes in but it's safe to drive... I worked all day 7 AM to 5:30 PM, but got off work after 8 hours to head down to the shop, manager says he'll find a way to squeeze it in... Tire shops are super busy right now with people buying/swapping tires for winter!

I got there at 4:15 PM, waited, waited, waited, waited, etc... Finally after two hours of twiddling my thumbs and doing nothing talk to him, it's 6:15 he says they will get it into the service bay for 7:30! :eek: I'm one single person and one car, I need my car!

I decided to go home rather than wait, now I'm booked for an early morning 8:30 AM appointment on Saturday, so that makes it three appointments to get four new tires installed! :mad:

It's not really the fault of the shop, they didn't know one tire was faulty (they order them from the main warehouse), today they were short one mechanic thus way behind schedule, he assured me they should have full staff on Saturday...

Am I jinxed? Things like this happen to me far too often, yes, it's very frustrating, because it screws things up for me... Tonight? I might have gone to an event, by the time I got home so late I'm nowhere in the mood for that... Or perhaps I have this grand misconception that everything is always supposed to be picture perfect...
I can tell you that my first car had problems, and now my second car keeps running hot and needs a new motor, so I'm having to borrow my grandpa's cars which skids whenever it's raining or set outside. Every car I get has problems to where I have trouble driving it.. But everything else in my life pretty much goes wrong, so I'm the one who's jinxed.

I know that a jinx is nothing but a superstition, but I think deep down most of us are at least a little superstitious.

I know that a jinx is nothing but a superstition, but I think deep down most of us are at least a little superstitious.
Yes. I'm only superstitious based on the luck I've had all my life. I don't do the stereotypical superstitions because black cats contribute nothing to luck. Trust me, we had a black cat named Shadow. Plus, I had bad luck looking before we for Shadow.

I don't think that you are ' jinxed ' but I'm certain that you feel that way , I often do too . Being autistic is very frustrating in and of itself so when lifes' normal frustrations come up , it feels like the world has turned against you . The tire shop is probably feeling frustrated too , try not to take it personally . I had to order a bed three times because it kept getting damaged in transit but I' glad that I found the patience to keep reordering it because now I have the bed I want . I now look at these types of lifes ' bumps in the road ' as learning opportunities and try to find a positive intention in them . Perhaps it was a blessing that you didn't get your tire and missed the event that night , you just never know but you can choose to think so . Who knows , you may have been gotten towed or in an accident that night if your car had been fixed . Attitude is everything . Being autistic , being chronically misunderstood , never quite fitting in , frustrated , feeling picked on etc doesn't help with having a good attitude , I know , but it can be a choice . Reframing
negative experiences can have a powerful effect on your outlook .

New Threads

Top Bottom