• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Always wondered since my diagnosis

Pats

V.I.P Member
If, in general men are supposed to be better at Math and women better at spelling, then why doesn't anyone ever consider that about autism? Aspie men great at Math, aspie women great at Spelling. Letter for aspie women are like numbers for aspie men. Why has that not been approached yet? (Or has it and I'm not aware of it?)
I know it doesn't apply to all - but you know what I mean.

Welll, when I was tested, nothing regardng math came into the equation, other than, a bit of numbering pairing and ascertaining that I had a blockage.

"Professionals" are still, I think, coming to terms with the notion that what is classic traits in males, is not in females.

My spelling is avarage and I get stuck with the vowels.

I have had "common folk" saying to me: ah, you must be a genus with math then? So, it is a preconception.

Obviously, there are female aspies who excell in math.

Really sorry if I have not got your point.

Welll, when I was tested, nothing regardng math came into the equation, other than, a bit of numbering pairing and ascertaining that I had a blockage.

"Professionals" are still, I think, coming to terms with the notion that what is classic traits in males, is not in females.

My spelling is avarage and I get stuck with the vowels.

I have had "common folk" saying to me: ah, you must be a genus with math then? So, it is a preconception.

Obviously, there are female aspies who excell in math.

Really sorry if I have not got your point.
Yes, lol. You didn't get my point, that's why I said it doesn't apply to all. I'm just saying that letters should be looked at the same as numbers. Many of us love letters, spelling, English, words, etc, just like numbers and Math. As Michael Jackson put it: "ABC is easy as 123". lol sorry - couldn't stop myself.

If, in general men are supposed to be better at Math and women better at spelling, then why doesn't anyone ever consider that about autism? Aspie men great at Math, aspie women great at Spelling. Letter for aspie women are like numbers for aspie men. Why has that not been approached yet? (Or has it and I'm not aware of it?)
I know it doesn't apply to all - but you know what I mean.

Maybe it isn't applied to aspies, or to anyone on the spectrum, because it's a generalization, no matter who it's applied to. In other words, there's no value in discussing it because it's just another oversimplification that's turned into a stereotype.

What continues to amaze me is that ASDers are just as likely to perpetuate such stereotypes as are NTs.

I am good at math and a terrible at spelling. My wife is a good speller and bad at math, but she is a NT. I asked her and she said that letters mean more to her. I am much more at ease with numbers. I never really thought about it before, but it seems to me to be more of a gender difference than neurology difference. However, you do bring up a really good point.

Maybe it isn't applied to aspies, or to anyone on the spectrum, because it's a generalization, no matter who it's applied to. In other words, there's no value in discussing it because it's just another oversimplification that's turned into a stereotype.

What continues to amaze me is that ASDers are just as likely to perpetuate such stereotypes as are NTs.
And, yes, I meant it as a generalization. More as in people don't think you're autistics because you're not great at Math - I'm asking why can't English be considered the same. So we can answer, "No, I'm not good at Math, but I am at Spelling." :) Not trying to perpetuate stereotypes. But if the stereotype IS that aspies are good at Math - why wouldn't they consider Spelling being the female version of Math?

So when you write a number out, does it stop being a number and become a word?

We had Math Journals for school.
Using words to talk about arithmetic.

It helps some kids who think "story problems" are strange & different,
wildly unlike *regular* problems expressed in digits.

Typical assignments:
What's your favorite number and why?
Write this out in words> 7 + 3 = 10.
What is an even number?
Tell what "half a dozen" means.

And so on.....

I am good at math and a terrible at spelling. My wife is a good speller and bad at math, but she is a NT. I asked her and she said that letters mean more to her. I am much more at ease with numbers. I never really thought about it before, but it seems to me to be more of a gender difference than neurology difference. However, you do bring up a really good point.
That's it. Trying to point out the gender difference in aspies too. :) Why would a female need to be good with numbers for someone to believe they are aspie when it's usually (not always - I repeat not always) the male that is better at numbers in both cases?

If, in general men are supposed to be better at Math and women better at spelling, then why doesn't anyone ever consider that about autism?

I wonder if that's really true. I've heard that, but then I've also heard that women are generally better academically than men, and that women's college enrollment and graduation rates far outpace men's.

upload_2019-3-29_11-20-10.png

Number and numeral are related, but not the same.

Number is a concept expressing quantity.
Numeral is a symbol to represent the concept.

View attachment 53042

Number and numeral are related, but not the same.

Number is a concept expressing quantity.
Numeral is a symbol to represent the concept.
I don't think I've heard the word numeral since primary school - I had forgotten it. lol
Now I wonder if we should be saying what are the numerals of your phone? :)

I don't think I've heard the word numeral since primary school - I had forgotten it. lol
Now I wonder if we should be saying what are the numerals of your phone? :)

You've never heard anyone say "Roman Numerals" ?

Outlines, clocks, watches...etc. .;)

I'm female and I am better at spelling than maths, but I'm not sure that this stereotype that men are better at maths and women are better at spelling and language holds true anyway. When I was at school, the top maths set had male and female students in equal numbers. We are back to the nurture v. nature debate. Personally, I sway in favour of nurture here and any gender difference is artificially created by society, culture and gender norms. Even today, there is still generally an expectation that girls are going to be carers, in more people-orientated roles, where men are going to be engineers, mechanics, scientists, etc - more men are in these roles than men and that creates the impression that men might be better at maths, when this actually isn't the case at all.

I wonder if from an early age boys are expected to be better at math so it becomes true because of encouragement.
If a girl has a struggle with math then she is too quickly excused from working harder on it.
The same with languages and spelling except the genders are reversed.
Isn’t math a language?

I wonder if from an early age boys are expected to be better at math so it becomes true because of encouragement.
If a girl has a struggle with math then she is too quickly excused from working harder on it.
The same with languages and spelling except the genders are reversed.
Isn’t math a language?
I thought it had to do with which side of the brain is mostly used related to gender. I dunno.

New Threads

Top Bottom