• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Always wondered since my diagnosis

Again, probably not since primary school. :confused:o_Oo_O I had forgotten the word existed. lol

Well, if someone would have recommended you outline something using Arabic Numerals I bet you would have remembered it. :p

But then working in finance and being a computer geek, numbers, numerals and integers all have great meaning to me. Even if math wasn't my best subject. o_O

Seriously had forgotten about the word numerals, and had meant this thread to be taken lightly and not seriously or controversial. But I thought the forgetting the word numerals thing was so funny, I posted on facebook - "Should we be asking for phone numerals instead of phone numbers?" I try to be semi funny. The first response I got was that I needed to paint more and think less. (Maybe this helps explain why I haven't heard the word used in so long. lol)

Seriously had forgotten about the word numerals, and had meant this thread to be taken lightly and not seriously or controversial. But I thought the forgetting the word numerals thing was so funny, I posted on facebook - "Should we be asking for phone numerals instead of phone numbers?" I try to be semi funny. The first response I got was that I needed to paint more and think less. (Maybe this helps explain why I haven't heard the word used in so long. lol)

I suppose it's all relative to what kind of life and employment you have.

For all those years in finance I NEVER did any geometry or quadratic equations. Though I was up to my eyeballs in interpolating exact insurance rates through tables. And constantly doing ratios and percentages.

And I never considered myself any kind of "math whiz". Never. Go figure. o_O

I suppose it's all relative to what kind of life and employment you have.

For all those years in finance I NEVER did any geometry or quadratic equations. Though I was up to my eyeballs in interpolating exact insurance rates through tables. And constantly doing ratios and percentages.
Guess I needed to spend more time around people like you. :) (I might not feel quite as lost trying to follow your comment. lol)
Actually, I'm realizing (since being on this forum) how small my vocabulary actually is compared to others.

Guess I needed to spend more time around people like you. :) (I might not feel quite as lost trying to follow your comment. lol)
Actually, I'm realizing (since being on this forum) how small my vocabulary actually is compared to others.

No, you bring up a valid point. If you concentrate a career in a single field, in any number of ways it may "color" your perception of things, apart from how you discuss- and describe them.

I haven't had many jobs in the long term, but they were all quite different and in some cases had their own vocabulary. Not to mention growing up where on occasion I lived in places that amounted to more than half the distance of the planet.

My existence has been uh...."eclectic" to say the least. Not for the better either. :oops:

So when you write a number out, does it stop being a number and become a word?

A serious answer to a facetious question: Yes, if it makes you process it differently.

I can see text I have recently read clearly enough in my mind to read it back verbatim. Memorizing text to study for tests, debug programs, or just memorize poems or scripture is easy for me.

Visual stuff is impossible. I have no visual memory. When I try to hold a picture in my head, it fades, blurs, or changes until all detail is lost - the more I try to see any detail in it, the faster it disappears. I could stare at a picture for 10 minutes, then close my eyes and be completely unable to describe it. Unless... I convert the description to words before I close my eyes. When I go to a big public place like Disneyland, I have to memorize a description of what my wife and children are wearing, in case we get separated. If I don't, I couldn't even tell you what color shirt my wife is wearing, even though I spent all day with her.

So, when I told a counselor years ago about some disturbing passages of text that I couldn't get out of my mind and couldn't forget, he suggested I convert them to a picture. I did that, and - miracle of miracles - it worked. The text eroded, and I was able to start forgetting some things that I didn't want in my head.

So, back to math. If numbers on paper aren't your thing, there may be another way to look at it. There are visual ways to understand mathematical principles.

Example 1: Picture an aquarium with a divider right in the middle and more water on one side than the other. When you remove the divider what happens? The water equalizes. You've just learned how to average.

Example 2: Visual proof of Pythagoreas theorem:

That's a cool video.
And as far as remembering visuals go - it's kind of funny. I work jigsaw puzzles on the computer all the time and when I'm done and I see that puzzle picture later I'll not remember doing that puzzle, because I've not been looking at the picture - I'm concentrating on the puzzle shapes.
And I wouldn't remember what anyone was wearing either.

I really like this idea. Are they online? If so, could you post a link?
Magic Jigsaw Puzzles. There are puzzles you can buy, but there are just as many you don't. There are different levels and ways to work the puzzles, also. I love this site. I used to work jigsaw puzzles all the time but can't anymore because of my neck issues - so this is how I work them now. You can also put your own pictures into a puzzle.

Magic Jigsaw Puzzles. There are puzzles you can buy, but there are just as many you don't. There are different levels and ways to work the puzzles, also. I love this site. I used to work jigsaw puzzles all the time but can't anymore because of my neck issues - so this is how I work them now. You can also put your own pictures into a puzzle.
Will try this, thanks :)

Found this online
6D458785-8129-43A3-8C50-9D6C8AA48303.jpeg

I was given the opportunity to take part in an Art and Design course.

I really enjoyed the learning so naturally, I thought about nothing else other than what I was being taught.

Lived, breathed, dreamt Art and Design for the length of the course,

I struggled to correctly spell words I hadn’t previously, during the course.

I was given the opportunity to take part in an Art and Design course.

I really enjoyed the learning so naturally, I thought about nothing else other than what I was being taught.

Lived, breathed, dreamt Art and Design for the length of the course,

I struggled to correctly spell words I hadn’t previously, during the course.
It's been several years since I've seen the right left thing, too, apparently. But you're right. The Art and Design course sounds very enjoyable.

I think my spelling suffered because I hadn’t used the two hemispheres together before that course ?

Didn’t have much of a neural pathway established. Couldn’t easily access the language on the other side of the brain?

Last edited:
I read the OP as not being about math or language and instead wondering why it is that NTs so readily define traits and skills as being associated with a particular gender but when it comes to Autism, gender is suddenly gone and each gender is judged as one entity.

Am I a madman for interpreting it this way? :eek:

Last edited:
I thought it had to do with which side of the brain is mostly used related to gender. I dunno.
I believe I have read that most of the left side/right side stuff is a myth. It is true that the left or right tend to do different jobs and in patients with stroke or who have had specific surgeries or brain damage certain abilities appear or disappear, but overall I think the idea of males being left brained and females right brained or anyone being that way has been greatly exaggerated.

I also think that in the past there was the idea that everyone needed to read and write so a boy struggling in school with that was supported and helped to achieve this but a girl who struggled with maths and sciences was patted on the head and told, "It's okay dear, you can do other things when you grow up."

I read the OP as not being about math or language and instead wondering why it is that NTs so readily define traits and skills as being associated with a particular gender but when it comes to Autism, gender is suddenly gone and each gender is judged as one entity.

Am I a madman for interpreting it this way? :eek:

No, you’re absolutely correct,
I misunderstood.

My apologies :)

I read a theory of autism by Donna Williams that in autism, there is less integration between the right and left hemispheres of the brain than in neurotypicals, which explains the either logical thinking without intuition, or all intuition without being able to explain the intuition easily in words, but as with most theories of this nature, yet to be proven.

No, you’re absolutely correct,
I misunderstood.

My apologies :)
Gracey, you were commenting on the previous right/left hemisphere we had started talking about. No need to apologize. I was looking at your chart again and the person who created it must have been a left handed thinker because he spelled right as righy. lol

New Threads

Top Bottom