• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Paralleluniverse

Ok beautiful non NTs..
I'm a 30 y o female holding multiple academic degrees from top business schools but the fact is because I've studied for more than one masters my career has not peaked because I started proper work when I was 26 before that I had done one full time job when I was 22 just before leaving for my masters.. But it was only for 1.5 years so right after my bachelor's and in between my masters.

Fast forward I've been in two corporate jobs where I left only after 1.5 years because of various reasons.. Now I'm in a Smaller company with no policies and procedures in place no structure no nothing and I hate the fact that I'm supposedly supposed to be "smart after all my hard work at uni and certificates but in fact I'm an idiot at work. Because the economy is bad where I am I have not been able to find a job in a bank which is what suits me.. You know repetitive tasks.. Structure . Everything in place Straightforwardness.. Etc etc

Now in this company it's smaller which means I have to interact with people more unlike in a large bank or corporate where you can be selective with the people you become friends with and you have your cubicle for privacy... My values don't match its been 3 months on the job. No Structure and its endless honestly ..
Does anyone feel like their aspergers makes their career so difficult? I don't want to play victim but I wonder sometimes if it's me or its an epidemic that millennial s just don't want to put up with bad jobs so they keep moving?

I want to quit so badly. I've tried to assert my needs diplomatically for example asking to work at an earlier hour and not leaving beyond work hours.. Working more systematically . Etc they don't seem to care. I'm dying to have fixed hours .. So what else can I do?

Worst of it is working with NTs And generation X... I'm from a different planet.
I'm too old to change my job again so what now? Fyi as mentioned for 1.5 years when I was a 22 year old fresh graduate I worked in a bank.. 26 years old I worked in a bank as well for 1.6 years . After that at a very well known large corporation for 1.5 years.. It's not like I've had large gaps or anything it's just that I never feel safe and stable to trust a company to stay with them long... I've been underpaid, exploited, abused in the past and let's say as in my current situation my salary is decent but then I have to deal with a horrible office with no Privacy... No policies and procedures in place. No training.. . Or bad hygiene standard s or a location that I can't stand...

The thing is an NT will say ok but these little things don't matter! But for me .. For us... Wow it so does matter! Every little thing counts so my conclusion is that I'm the true definition of "failure to launch "
Supposedly a very good looking, athletic, charming smart(according to those neurotypical aliens) female with 3 academic degrees.who's not found her place in life and is totally clueless
Yes that's me
.. But wow I've failed in pretty much every aspect of my life so what now? Why don't aspergers hire aspergers...... Or who knows?

If aspergers can't succeed in their care er then what should we do? I'm thinking of just trading full time at home because I do that on the side and I'm good with the stock Market.

Anyone here exhausted from being misunderstood in their career ?
Give me all your love

Your not the only one that's having difficult times with job and career issues. I really wanted to pursue a career in electrical engineering. But I had to can that idea because I could never hold a job at a gas station and didn't want to spend the money on collage to get a degree that I may never be able to use. Being on the spectrum can really wreak havoc on a lot of things in life. BTW: all the jobs that I got laid off or fired from where all from social related issues. One job I had involved working out in the field on remote telemetry systems that I though was the perfect job and involved very little social interaction. Turns out that I got fired because I said something inappropriate to one of the other worker that I still to this day have no idea what I said.

Last edited:
Supposedly a very good looking, athletic, charming smart(according to those neurotypical aliens) female with 3 academic degrees.who's not found her place in life and is totally clueless
Yes that's me

It's like a Ferrari in the 1800's. Ya! it still a fast sports car. But without gas stations to fill the tank and paved roads to drive it on. What good is it.

If aspergers can't succeed in their care er then what should we do? I'm thinking of just trading full time at home because I do that on the side and I'm good with the stock Market.

If you can make ends meet by doing that. Then by all means do so.

I'm 38 and haven't had a job since I was 23. I am unable to keep one because my autism and physical disability.
Apply for SSI.
Also: The federal government will forgive your student loans if you're disabled.

I'm 38 and haven't had a job since I was 23. I am unable to keep one because my autism and physical disability.
Apply for SSI.
Also: The federal government will forgive your student loans if you're disabled.
I live in a very corporate city though.all the way in the Gulf region. No such thing as SSI and no I don't have any student debt so money wise I'm ok it's just that I can't stand having this failure because nobody can accommodate our needs

Your not the only one that's having difficult times with job and career issues. I really wanted to pursue a career in electrical engineering. But I had to can that idea because I could never hold a job at a gas station and didn't want to spend the money on collage to get a degree that I may never be able to use. Being on the spectrum can really wreak havoc on a lot of things in life. BTW: all the jobs that I got laid off or fired from where all from social related issues. One job I had involved working out in the field on remote telemetry systems that I though was the perfect job and involved very little social interaction. Turns out that I got fired because I said something inappropriate to one of the other worker that I still to this day have no idea what I said.

Well the worst is when you have coworkers who are so fake but you never know It and they want to be your friend only to use you or because they are jealous and want to gossip.. Or when a manager is passive aggressive instead of being straight forward . And this open desk policy.. Can't stand it.. And I don't have any aspie friends who would understand this. Plus using neuro developmental issues as a way to ask for any accommodation is frowned upon which is strange because I guess people with depression or bipolar especially of millennial generation are fine to talk about such issues and earn sympathy. While for us that is never the case because it feels like NTs hate working with us!

I live in a very corporate city though.all the way in the Gulf region. No such thing as SSI and no I don't have any student debt so money wise I'm ok it's just that I can't stand having this failure because nobody can accommodate our needs
I have relatives in Florida. You can get SSI in the Gulf region. It's federal.

I wish I could give some good advice but all I can say is I totally understand where you're coming from. I've been fortunate enough to keep my job for 20 years so they know what I can and can't do. But with today's economy, similar companies all around here have been closing their doors and I fear that mine will do the same someday. And the thought of someone like me finding a new job in today's world seems impossible. I have already tried to change jobs during a few particularly difficult years, and it didn't go so well.

The workplace itself is also not how it started. In today's world, it seems that every company is doing more with less. People are spread thin with multiple duties and everybody has to put their heads together. When I started, we had individual offices, individual jobs, and it was quiet. Now it's a 200 ft line of cubicles and I am overwhelmed with the cacaphony of conversations and socializing and can barely hear myself think anymore, and it has been affecting my work. Also, the open office thing, the hierarchy isn't what it used to be. Anybody can be your boss at any time and it gets very difficult keeping up. If you've seen the movie Office Space, I'm sure you can relate.

I agree with the stock market. If you can make a living sitting at home and trading on your computer, then by all means go for it! There's also probably more job security in the stock market as a whole, than any individual company.

I wish I could give some good advice but all I can say is I totally understand where you're coming from. I've been fortunate enough to keep my job for 20 years so they know what I can and can't do. But with today's economy, similar companies all around here have been closing their doors and I fear that mine will do the same someday. And the thought of someone like me finding a new job in today's world seems impossible. I have already tried to change jobs during a few particularly difficult years, and it didn't go so well.

The workplace itself is also not how it started. In today's world, it seems that every company is doing more with less. People are spread thin with multiple duties and everybody has to put their heads together. When I started, we had individual offices, individual jobs, and it was quiet. Now it's a 200 ft line of cubicles and I am overwhelmed with the cacaphony of conversations and socializing and can barely hear myself think anymore, and it has been affecting my work. Also, the open office thing, the hierarchy isn't what it used to be. Anybody can be your boss at any time and it gets very difficult keeping up. If you've seen the movie Office Space, I'm sure you can relate.

I agree with the stock market. If you can make a living sitting at home and trading on your computer, then by all means go for it! There's also probably more job security in the stock market as a whole, than any individual company.
Wow at least In the movie office space they had cubicles with some privacy.... Now it's just packed up people like sardines.. Saving on space.. Forcing is aspies to interact with everyone 8 hours a day.

New Threads

Top Bottom