• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Air Fresheners

Poor you! I hate them too and when I have used them, but dodge out of the way, from the stream, as it were, that told me that they are not good products.

I use incense sticks and tea candles instead.

Essential oils are my favourite. So many different varieties.
Cinnamon brooms is another good one. They are available in supermarkets this time of year
and they are cute. Set them in corners for a decoration. I've put dried flowers or little silk butterflies
in them for decorations.

Dried Eucalyptus is another favourite. I keep bundles of them in clothes closets and towel closets.
They aren't cheap, but, last for years and when the scent dissipitates, I put drops of Eucalyptus oil
on the dried leaves to renew them.
They are especially good in closets as they keep away musty oders and spiders!

My wife likes to use air fresheners and I hate it. If there is an unpleasant smell she sprays an air freshener to make it smell better. But, for me, it never makes it smell better. It still smells the same except that now there are two smells. I still smell the original smell and the air freshener as two independent, distinct smells. Also, the air freshener never smells good to me. It smells like an industrial chemical as opposed to any flower advertised on it's label. She has a lavender air freshener that smells like flatulence to me. I eventually had to ask if she had passed gas before realizing it was the air freshener!
Do any of you have an olfactory senses like this??

Yep! I took a liking to those wax warmer things, but they're more like "put a pleasant scent in the air" and not "let's try to cover something up with a toxic gas release".

Some of those spray air fresheners will flat out drive me from the room. Spray can Lysol especially, too. I can't stand the stuff. It smells like burning.

Anyone ever notice that Axe body spray smells exactly like toilet bowl cleaner? I came across a guy wearing too much of that stuff one time - I could smell it from the other side of the street.

I agree, these are disgusting. I've never, ever used them. Cologne, too - the cable TV guy comes into my house, then the whole house reeks. Disgusting.

My wife likes to use air fresheners and I hate it. If there is an unpleasant smell she sprays an air freshener to make it smell better. But, for me, it never makes it smell better. It still smells the same except that now there are two smells. I still smell the original smell and the air freshener as two independent, distinct smells. Also, the air freshener never smells good to me. It smells like an industrial chemical as opposed to any flower advertised on it's label. She has a lavender air freshener that smells like flatulence to me. I eventually had to ask if she had passed gas before realizing it was the air freshener!
Do any of you have an olfactory senses like this??
I'm hypersensitive to ethanol used in air fresheners,aftershaves,EAU de parfums,dislike some perfumes ,aftershaves ,love pine,cedar,tea tree oil ,love! eucalyptus oil,rose oil,violet oil,cinnamon,garlic,mint,chilli, I buy Yankee candles, when the moon is a beautiful shade of cobalt blue ,but rarely light them.

I cannot imagine how I’d stay in the same house with someone who insists on using artificial-Air-Fresheners. More like Air Foulers in my opinion.
Last time I was at a house with those things plugged in to the outlets, I went around unplugging them & dropped them into the outside garbage bin.
After learning that the sprays affected me my wife stopped using them. She is very accommodating that way.

Actually, I now realize that I titled this post and asked the question incorrectly. I was not looking for means of dealing with or ridding smells. I just wanted to know if others had a distinctive sense of smell. That is; do smells blend together to you or do you continue to smell each smell independently when there are two or more smells at the same time and place?

I can discern separate smells, scents, to a point.

There are some people I can’t tolerate just because of their normal body scent. Not stinky or unwashed, but just the way they smell. For example, I was in a legal battle with a person a long time ago. Court ordered mediation. When they showed up & entered the little room I could smell their fear.
They were a bully and yet they were scared.
The mediator noticed that the person’s hands were sweaty, but I was grossed out by an off, odd odour.

I can discern separate smells, scents, to a point.

There are some people I can’t tolerate just because of their normal body scent. Not stinky or unwashed, but just the way they smell. For example, I was in a legal battle with a person a long time ago. Court ordered mediation. When they showed up & entered the little room I could smell their fear.
They were a bully and yet they were scared.
The mediator noticed that the person’s hands were sweaty, but I was grossed out by an off, odd odour.

Interesting. I've wondered about going to school to become a therapist because there are a lot of aspects of that career that appeal to me. However, precisely for the same reason you've given about the scents of people is a significant enough reason for me to not pursue that career. I couldn't be confined in a room with clients that had odors that affected me.

@Magna That’s good you’re aware of it. But since you would be a great counselor/therapist (whatever the correct word is) -
Could having this sensitivity work in your and a client’s favor?

Maybe you could have an air purifier running or windows slightly ajar.

Yep! I took a liking to those wax warmer things, but they're more like "put a pleasant scent in the air" and not "let's try to cover something up with a toxic gas release".

Some of those spray air fresheners will flat out drive me from the room. Spray can Lysol especially, too. I can't stand the stuff. It smells like burning.

Anyone ever notice that Axe body spray smells exactly like toilet bowl cleaner? I came across a guy wearing too much of that stuff one time - I could smell it from the other side of the street.
That is so funny! My son has thing for Axe and he smokes weed. Sometimes I imagine he is Pepe Le Pew covering up his skunkiness with nasty cologne.

After learning that the sprays affected me my wife stopped using them. She is very accommodating that way.

Actually, I now realize that I titled this post and asked the question incorrectly. I was not looking for means of dealing with or ridding smells. I just wanted to know if others had a distinctive sense of smell. That is; do smells blend together to you or do you continue to smell each smell independently when there are two or more smells at the same time and place?

I always smell scents separately. Nothing blends together.

Oh, now I understand what the actual question was. Sorry!
Everything has a pretty distinctive smell to me, but the ones that stand out the most are the really foul smells. They trigger my gag reflex too!

Yes, I can smell more than one thing at once, especially when a new one comes along, I immediately notice it. Others might not.

Screw air fresheners, more like air poisoners. They smell like nothing natural, same goes for the vast majority of candles. I also have MCS and get bad reactions to sprayed scented anything. I do like some actual essential oils but I get a bad reaction to the diffussers to. I prefer my environment to smell neutral unless the scent is completely natural. I don't even know how normal people want to smell like an industrial chemical plant often, sometimes I think I need a gas mask in here whenever my mother is around spraying anything. A good air purifier works alright through.

New Threads

Top Bottom