• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Air Fresheners

Ken

V.I.P Member
My wife likes to use air fresheners and I hate it. If there is an unpleasant smell she sprays an air freshener to make it smell better. But, for me, it never makes it smell better. It still smells the same except that now there are two smells. I still smell the original smell and the air freshener as two independent, distinct smells. Also, the air freshener never smells good to me. It smells like an industrial chemical as opposed to any flower advertised on it's label. She has a lavender air freshener that smells like flatulence to me. I eventually had to ask if she had passed gas before realizing it was the air freshener!
Do any of you have an olfactory senses like this??

I would love to smell anything once again.

My olfactory function got deleted when I broke my brain.

I know what you mean with those chemical air fresheners, but there are better alternatives, if she's someone who likes to introduce a pleasant smell when there are unpleasant smells around. You can use some natural incense or essential oil, or even natural resin, like frankincense or some sacred wood like Palo Santo.

When I would use incense it wasn't specifically to cover unpleasant smells, although sometimes it was useful for that, and nothing you introduce can eliminate what was already there entirely, but at least it avoids the synthetic chemical stuff that these air fresheners are made from. I like having incense burning on a regular basis so it's already flavouring the air before any unpleasant smells arrive.

Agree,...most "air fresheners" are disgusting and overpowering. I have tried the Febreeze unscented sprays on different things, as well as, the ionizer air filter machines,...both seem to work well.

I had scented garbage bags and threw them out - so repulsive. Yes, l smell the original smell and the spray. Wacky.
I buy sprays that are light. But room sprays are basically petroleum based. I use to smoke clove cigarettes in my 20's. Those were cool. I like pumpkin smells. Pinesol l dont like. I love leather car smells with the matching guy inside. Lol

I like Ozium. It gets rid of odor with no cloying scent left behind. Cautiom though, it does spell like lemon scented disinfectant when first spayed but the scent dissipares quickly. I spray it when I leave to go shopping.

My husband once bought floral / berry deodarizer for a porta potty we had on our old boat. :eek: Gag inducing! Poop, berries and flowers are not a good mix!

To me, air fresheners simply mask other smells and only to a degree. With the combination of both smells potentially being worse than the smell you want to get rid of.

My favorite fix is to crack a window and turn on the exhaust fan and simply remove the offending smell.

Ken, if my wife had a penchant for artificial/chemical fragrances, I'd stay married to her but I'd be living in a different location and I'd spend time with her as long as she'd be odor free (ie no "dryer sheets", scented laundry detergent, perfume, etc). I'm not kidding.

We have a fragrance free (artificial/chemical fragrances) house and it's due to my sensitivities to artificial/chemical fragrances and to the same sensitivities our autistic child has.

It's not that I just don't like the smells, I will not live in a house that has them.

There is zero room for negotiation with me on that issue.

I am able to tolerate certain 100% natural botanical essential oils like real peppermint and real lemon oil and a few others. That's it though.

We make our own laundry detergent, dish soap and toothpaste.

Last edited:
Yes, air fresheners have the same effect on me as harsh cleansers/chemicals. They irritate my eyes and throat and have an overpowering smell.

Some oder removers like those you set some where and over time they evaporate/turn to water are much less bothersome.

I prefer the window/exhaust fan method also but also have an electronic air cleaner that seems to work well, but it takes time. It has no smell of its own.

But the best way is to identify the source of the smell and blow it out the airlock!

I prefer the window/exhaust fan method also but also have an electronic air cleaner that seems to work well, but it takes time. It has no smell of its own.

- Kobyashi Maru.

My bathroom's exhaust fan is so loud and irritating I sometimes find it worse than the most offensive smell. Forcing me to use it only after closing the door and leaving temporarily. Requiring me to first turn off the circuit box to the fan and lights, then pull the plug to the fan. And put it all back without it being plugged when the offensive smell is gone.

Someone in their infinite wisdom chose not to provide my bathroom fan with a Leviton light switch, yet they put one in the laundry room for the same kind of loud and irritating fan. Go figure. :rolleyes:

The life of we on the spectrum is never easy. :oops:

I cannot imagine how I’d stay in the same house with someone who insists on using artificial-Air-Fresheners. More like Air Foulers in my opinion.
Last time I was at a house with those things plugged in to the outlets, I went around unplugging them & dropped them into the outside garbage bin.

I cannot imagine how I’d stay in the same house with someone who insists on using artificial-Air-Fresheners. More like Air Foulers in my opinion.
Last time I was at a house with those things plugged in to the outlets, I went around unplugging them & dropped them into the outside garbage bin.

True. I just find none of them to realistically have pleasant or tolerable organic scents.

- Kobyashi Maru.

My bathroom's exhaust fan is so loud and irritating I sometimes find it worse than the most offensive smell. Forcing me to use it only after closing the door and leaving temporarily. Requiring me to first turn off the circuit box to the fan and lights, then pull the plug to the fan. And put it all back without it being plugged when the offensive smell is gone.

Someone in their infinite wisdom chose not to provide my bathroom fan with a Leviton light switch, yet they put one in the laundry room for the same kind of loud and irritating fan. Go figure. :rolleyes:

The life of we on the spectrum is never easy. :oops:
I retrofitted my bathroom fans with those made by Panasonic. Powerful and low noise. And put them on a timed switch. All I hear is a low whooshing sound.

I retrofitted my bathroom fans with those made by Panasonic. Powerful and low noise. And put them on a timed switch. All I hear is a low whooshing sound.

Sounds good. Unfortunately I'm a renter. I'm lucky management hasn't told me to permanently keep the internal plug of the exhaust fan in place.

Air fresheners are disgusting- as you mentioned , in addition to the original smell there is now a manufactured chemical smell, and a bonus headache and nausea. They are actually hurtful. Have you explained your reaction to her or offered alternatives? When I want to get rid of scents or just make the place smell nice I squeeze lemon juice, open a window or boil cinnamon sticks on the stove. At most, using an essential oil diffuser and all of these methods work without the headache, and toxic chemical garbage being sprayed into the air, producing unnecessary waste and negatively affecting breathing.

I use a product called nilodor, it's chlorophyll based, smells like crushed leaves, I think it's classed as an odour absorber rather than a odour masker. It's an oil but I don't have carpet so no probs there.

I got an air freshener called 'new car smell' at the smoke shop and it's not bad, (smokers need this stuff) at least it's not fake floral/sweet. I think it's supposed to be a car deodoriser, but I use it in the house too, sometimes.

Last edited:
When my youngest was a puppy, I think everyone thought I was using pee pads as an air freshener. Honestly, not much of a difference. Lol

New Threads

Top Bottom