• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ados module 4 test. Do I have autism?

Arween

Hello. i have to do the ados module 4 in few days,
I've read few post here and in a old post someone says a NT.. what is NT ?

Also, in the part of test when they ask to complete a story from a picture or create a story from a toy...
I would simple scream : NO. I would feel pain in my body, or feel annoyed.

I have strong immagination,my friends suspect i may be PDA, but I can not have immagination at all to complete the story of someone else, or to made up a new story from toys, or objects that are not mine...

It may mean that I have autism?

As far as I know a person with no autism can create a story and an autistic person doesn't? Am I right?

If a person ask me to complete a story I would be in panic, paranoia and phisical pain.
Is this an attitude of an autistic person or a neurotypical?

Perhaps it's best to peruse articles like this, which take a much closer look into any false assumption that autism translates into an inability to be creative:

Autism and Creativity

But perhaps what is even more fundamental in this instance is to recognize that it's almost always going to be a mistake to assume any autistic traits and behaviors strictly in a conditional manner. Just as it's also a misnomer to believe that anyone who can look another in the eye can't possibly be autistic. Or that one who is an extrovert cannot possibly be autistic. These are merely inaccurate assumptions, just as is any notion that autistic people cannot be creative. We can be, but not necessarily on a level in which non-autistic people immediately comprehend.

What really upsets me is when someone who is allegedly a medical professional uses such primitive deductions to instantly dismiss the possibility that one may be on the spectrum of autism. On occasion it happens, sadly as some of our members can attest to.

In essence, I would say to the original poster not to rely upon, or make any single assumption that either confirms or dismisses whether or not one is autistic. The reality remains that such a diagnosis is not a simple or "cut and dry" process based on any one observation.

That a positive diagnosis of autism is contingent with the consideration and presence of many factors rather than any one in particular.

Last edited:
If a person ask me to complete a story I would be in panic, paranoia and phisical pain.
Is this an attitude of an autistic person or a neurotypical?
Thankfully I didn't have to do this test, but if I did, I would find the story telling task difficult. It might cause me mild panic, but it would not cause me physical pain or paranoia.

Given time, I might be able to come up with a story, but probably not on the spot - I would struggle to think of a story, but that would also depend on the prompts I was given.

Perhaps the test is not whether we can think of and tell a story or not, but more how we tell it: do we connect emotionally to the characters and talk about their emotions, do we express empathy towards them, or is it plain narrative? Do we give a lot of details, or do we give a more simple overview? Do we add appropiate intonation to the story telling, or is our voice flat? While telling the story, do we engage the person testing us, making eye contact, or do we look down?

then what it is typical of?

Who knows? Such symptoms may not be "typical" of any one particular condition. Something best dealt with on the level of a medical professional such as a psychiatrist or neurologist.

To pursue the possibility of being on the spectrum, it's best to collectively assess all your traits and behaviors rather than to dwell on them in a singular fashion.

I went in to the assessment with zero expectations. Sometimes this works OK for me, other times, not so much. I wasn't expecting such an unusual exercise, but I didn't panic. I did feel uncomfortable. Like, "Uh oh.. what do I do?" sort of feeling.

I ended up pretty much describing what I saw instead. I don't know how to jazz up a story or make it sound exciting or interesting to anyone.

I mean, I sort of do, but I have a tendency to liven things up with inappropriate stuff out of boredom, so...

I had to do that and I hated it. Not because of the lack of imagination, but hated it for the talking part and it just felt like a stupid thing to do. Thanks, @Progster - I always wondered what they were looking for with that, too. I also remember one of the testing days, the doctor asked how my week had been and told me about his dog being sick. At the end of that session he said I didn't ask him any questions about the dog. It wasn't that I didn't care for the dog, I just had no idea what to ask. Anyway - I thought the majority of that testing was ridiculous for someone my age. But, uncomfortable or not, I participated the best I could, not knowing what he was looking for.

At the end of that session he said I didn't ask him any questions about the dog. It wasn't that I didn't care for the dog, I just had no idea what to ask.

I'd have likely responded in an alike manner. This sort of thing reminds me of how easy it can be for others assessing us to misunderstand our sense of empathy. Where the real "culprit" may be the difficulty of real-time, face-to-face communication that plagues so many of us.

But then this just reflects yet another consideration that those who assess us may not truly grasp. Just how stressful such a situation truly can be to us. Where it's unreasonable to analyze us in a cordial and casual manner. Where telling us to simply relax isn't going to cut it.

Kind of like having my blood pressure taken in a dentist's chair where they comment on my elevated blood pressure. I remember being exasperated about that and responding, "YA THINK?" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello. i have to do the ados module 4 in few days,
I've read few post here and in a old post someone says a NT.. what is NT ?

Also, in the part of test when they ask to complete a story from a picture or create a story from a toy...
I would simple scream : NO. I would feel pain in my body, or feel annoyed.

I have strong immagination,my friends suspect i may be PDA, but I can not have immagination at all to complete the story of someone else, or to made up a new story from toys, or objects that are not mine...

It may mean that I have autism?

As far as I know a person with no autism can create a story and an autistic person doesn't? Am I right?
I think maybe what you are confusing is the image of a neuro typical as being more extrovert and autistic person as introvert, I've never heard of autism is not being creative ,it seems to be a huge part of autism ,just start to learn more about autism,I am four years on from where you are and I'm still learning.

I also remember one of the testing days, the doctor asked how my week had been and told me about his dog being sick. At the end of that session he said I didn't ask him any questions about the dog. It wasn't that I didn't care for the dog, I just had no idea what to ask.
I remember that something like this happened at my assessment too - he started to tell me some personal things about his house, and I just listened and didn't say anything or ask any questions, not because I didn't know what to ask, but it never occured to me that I was supposed to ask something or respond in any particular way.

If someone tells me about a sick animal I may not ask questions because I'm afraid of it being a terminal illness, or the animal is left in pain, etc. Also, I wouldnt want to upset the therapist.
If its something about their house, i wouldnt care enough to ask, i figure he is upper middle class and can afford any repairs etc and it's my dime, let's talk about me.

Since you're being assessed for autism, I guess there are a range of factors that have contributed to that. There's no one thing where it's like if you have that trait, you're definitely autistic. Or if you don't have that trait, you can't be autistic. It's a bigger picture thing.

Not that you'd know that from some psychologists. When I first saw a psychologist, autism was initially dismissed as a possibility because I had "good eye contact" :rolleyes:

I remember that something like this happened at my assessment too - he started to tell me some personal things about his house, and I just listened and didn't say anything or ask any questions, not because I didn't know what to ask, but it never occured to me that I was supposed to ask something or respond in any particular way.
I'd have likely responded in an alike manner. This sort of thing reminds me of how easy it can be for others assessing us to misunderstand our sense of empathy. Where the real "culprit" may be the difficulty of real-time, face-to-face communication that plagues so many of us.
When I try to comment or ask something when I don't know what is appropriate to say or ask, I end up looking really goofy. Perfect example is when my cousin's wife called me one day (I was very young) and told me that she had just shot herself in the leg. I knew I had to respond and the only thing I could come up with was, "Is it bleeding?". lol Not, why or do you need a ride to the er or did you call 911 or where's my cousin - is it bleeding was the only thing I could think of to ask and I already knew the answer to that.

OP, this is a test you can't study for. Just be yourself and answer the questions without trying to understand why they are being asked.
I'm one of those people that likes to be prepared and study for tests, so I can understand, in part, what is making you anxious.
I had to learn to know when to just give up control and trust the process.

As far as writing stories, making up stories, playing out them etc, I would say many autistic people do all of those. Some don't. Sometimes it is a special interest of ours. I am not sure where or how you got your information, but it seems limited and incorrect in some ways. I don't mean that as a put down. Until people have to come to grips with it, or choose to, a few random stereotypes or misconceptions is likely all they have been exposed to. HFA isn't a strict set of traits. Its more some common underlying tendencies. How people present and work out their autism varies tremendously. One might embrace the same thing another avoids. I sometimes think its more along the lines of Chaotic theory then something more cut and dry and predictable.

New Threads

Top Bottom