• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

accommodations?

madisen622

autistic kidcore grandpa
V.I.P Member
my psychiatrist appointment is exactly a week away, as i grow quite antsy im starting to think about the concepts of accommodations. i think the biggest help they would be is in my workplace. i don't know what kind of accommodations im able to get, but i was wondering if yall had any in your workplace? little things have kept adding up for me this week at my new job, they've been so tough, and im not sure how to help myself or my manager know. a prime example that really got to me was today, i was ahead with the training required for my job while others were still working. my trainer gave me some brain teasers to pass the time. i sent them back to him saying i tried my best, he responded with "you took these quite literal, that's not the point of this exercise." it really irked me, i don't know how to tell him i was frustrated at my computer trying to force my brain to figure these out but all i could think of is "the dog can't possibly get across the river WITHOUT a boat or bridge all while not getting wet that's not possible."

Realistically speaking, do not go into anything expecting accommodation, even with an assessment scheduled. It can lead to expectations that can be potentially problematic should an assessment not pan out as hoped.

Google the ADA workplace accommodations and take a look through it. That will give you a reasonable idea of what can be done for individuals on the spectrum. ADHD is also on the list.

Most of it deals with noise filtering, communication formats (e.g. written vs verbal), alternative training methods, and flexible scheduling.

Each job situation will be different, the context subjective to the work and the individual.

To wit:

As a dysphonentic reader, I cannot sound out words or break them down into syllables. I've been in the 99.6th percentile for English usage and comprehension since kindergarten, but I have an exclusionary clause for anything dealing with syllable counting.

e.g. metre in poetry (It is literally impossible for me to do without looking up every single word).

That was always an interesting conversation with the English department, especially during poetry units. Iambic is so overrated.

As mentioned, accommodation is unique to the individual, the diagnosis, and situation.

Last edited:
What does a psychiatrist have to do with accommodations? Maybe there's an aspect to their job that I don't know about.

What does a psychiatrist have to do with accommodations? Maybe there's an aspect to their job that I don't know about.
They can make professional recommendations and connect with prospective employers.
If the employer is open to special needs accommodations, it can make a big
difference. If they aren't, then no one can help.
Perhaps it might fall under the Americans with disabilities act if you are
discriminated against.

My psychologist said she is always there to help with special needs for me.
At my age that would be things like getting a private room in a hospital or
help in any type of health needs and services.
You get much nicer treatment in hospitals or rehabs if a professional intervenes
and tells them what you need being on the spectrum.

My personal experience with this. I live in the US, for perspective.

As a person with autism, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) does provide some limited legal protections, accommodations, and considerations within the legal and employment environments.

Within the context of the work environment, one must apply for accommodations. Within the corporate world, a person with autism who is requesting accommodations will have to apply through the Human Resources department. The company will have these forms posted on the corporate website OR Human Resources will send them to you. Part of the application REQUIRES a physician or psychologist to send Human Resources appropriate documentation describing "the condition(s)" one has been diagnosed with. In other words, you can't just say, "I have a specific condition and I am unable to perform these specific tasks,...or I would like to not do these specific tasks,...or I need special assistance aids",...whatever the case may be. If you are a "self diagnosed" autistic,...you're out of luck. Even a person with a broken arm or leg must fill out similar forms for accommodations within the workplace. Human Resources,...if they receive the proper paperwork,...and they interview you,...and they approve your request,...will then contact your manager to decide how best to approach the situation. Having said that,...probably the most difficult part is actually getting your doctor to fill out the paperwork in a timely manner,...my employer was surprisingly pretty cool and accommodating about the whole situation. However, I literally had to access my own medical/psychological records and print them off myself. So, be prepared to do that, in some cases. Furthermore, the ADA forms have a time limitation,...from this date, to that date,...they expire. So, if this is going to be an "on-going" situation, as is the case with autism, there is a possibility of having to refile paperwork,...I don't know,...talk to Human Resources about this. I had to have accommodations for a short period of time,...and don't at this time.

If you work for a small business, and you work directly under the owner/manager,...and there is no Human Resources department,...legally, the same process is in place,...but how the employer deals with you specifically, I suspect is highly individualized.

My personal experience with this. I live in the US, for perspective.

As a person with autism, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) does provide some limited legal protections, accommodations, and considerations within the legal and employment environments.

Within the context of the work environment, one must apply for accommodations. Within the corporate world, a person with autism who is requesting accommodations will have to apply through the Human Resources department. The company will have these forms posted on the corporate website OR Human Resources will send them to you. Part of the application REQUIRES a physician or psychologist to send Human Resources appropriate documentation describing "the condition(s)" one has been diagnosed with. In other words, you can't just say, "I have a specific condition and I am unable to perform these specific tasks,...or I would like to not do these specific tasks,...or I need special assistance aids",...whatever the case may be. If you are a "self diagnosed" autistic,...you're out of luck. Even a person with a broken arm or leg must fill out similar forms for accommodations within the workplace. Human Resources,...if they receive the proper paperwork,...and they interview you,...and they approve your request,...will then contact your manager to decide how best to approach the situation. Having said that,...probably the most difficult part is actually getting your doctor to fill out the paperwork in a timely manner,...my employer was surprisingly pretty cool and accommodating about the whole situation. However, I literally had to access my own medical/psychological records and print them off myself. So, be prepared to do that, in some cases. Furthermore, the ADA forms have a time limitation,...from this date, to that date,...they expire. So, if this is going to be an "on-going" situation, as is the case with autism, there is a possibility of having to refile paperwork,...I don't know,...talk to Human Resources about this. I had to have accommodations for a short period of time,...and don't at this time.

If you work for a small business, and you work directly under the owner/manager,...and there is no Human Resources department,...legally, the same process is in place,...but how the employer deals with you specifically, I suspect is highly individualized.
thank you so much for your advice i GREATLY appreciate it. :)
i do have a human resources department, i work as a customer service representative for a calling agency. when i see my psychiatrist i think i might ask his advice on it and see what he thinks, im still new to asking for help it's so hard for me. ive always tried to be independent but since high school it's been hurting me not helping me. i know my current trainer is in behavioral health, he's trained on it. i told him i had to take a few hours off for the psychiatrist appointment and he was SO understanding about it. ill need to see about ADA as well, i live in the US too. i filled i wasn't disabled on my paperwork though, i was doing it from home and my dad told me i needed to put no since it wasn't physical. would they think i was lying and use the paperwork against me? agh this is making me so anxious. :sweatsmile: :sob:

New Threads

Top Bottom