• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Acceptance Of Aspergers

total-recoil

It's now been somewhere around 5 months I think that I concluded I have aspergers. During that time I've continued to research it and notice things about myself (or recall incidents from childhood and so on). So, now I think I've finally arrived at the point where I've accepted it completely and have thought a lot about the implications, the positives and negatives.
Definitely I would say that once you feel sure you have aspergers, it takes a huge amount of pressure off. I no longer beat up on myself and keep wondering why I can't somehow seem to be normal and act normal. Now there is a logical explanation although not an excuse to write myself off.
I've also found myself trying to develop the positive side of aspergers while attempting to mask or hide the negative traits. Mainly the special interest side of it, the enhanced perception, visual thought, ability to bond with animals, independence of thought and personality.
The negative side such as depression, isolation and tantrums still exist but I guess I try to bypass all of that by spending more time with animals and digging deep into my interests. Also my difficulties showing emotion or empathy, at least I'm more aware of it.
By the way I also concluded I have very high confidence in my ability to solve and work out problems but low confidence in my ability to read people or situations.

It's now been somewhere around 5 months I think that I concluded I have aspergers. During that time I've continued to research it and notice things about myself (or recall incidents from childhood and so on). So, now I think I've finally arrived at the point where I've accepted it completely and have thought a lot about the implications, the positives and negatives.
Definitely I would say that once you feel sure you have aspergers, it takes a huge amount of pressure off. I no longer beat up on myself and keep wondering why I can't somehow seem to be normal and act normal. Now there is a logical explanation although not an excuse to write myself off.
I've also found myself trying to develop the positive side of aspergers while attempting to mask or hide the negative traits. Mainly the special interest side of it, the enhanced perception, visual thought, ability to bond with animals, independence of thought and personality.
The negative side such as depression, isolation and tantrums still exist but I guess I try to bypass all of that by spending more time with animals and digging deep into my interests. Also my difficulties showing emotion or empathy, at least I'm more aware of it.
By the way I also concluded I have very high confidence in my ability to solve and work out problems but low confidence in my ability to read people or situations.
My experience has been much the same.

New Threads

Top Bottom