• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

About unusual studies about HFA and criminal behavior.

The studies do not seem to state crime is more likely with people with ASD. They seem to just look at a few cases and consider the psychcology of it.

Maybe I am wrong and they state some statistics in the full articles. I just read the extracts.

I am sorry, I am not sure what other terminologies to use as there is only ASD Level 1-3.

What I mean is the DSM-5 model is not just a name change, it is a different model.

Autism Spectrum Disorder is the DSM-5 equivalent of DSM-4's Pervasive Development Disorder, without the subset diagnoses of
  1. autistic disorder,
  2. Rett syndrome,
  3. Asperger's syndrome,
  4. childhood disintegrative disorder &
  5. PDD-NOS
Since those sub-diagnoses are no longer recognized,
theoretical traits about any one of them are no longer considered to be valid.

It is now seen as one condition rather than five related conditions.

Severity levels are based on one's co-morbid "load."

That actually makes sense, it's just those studies that I found are still outdated. I really hope that they do another of the same studies with updated diagnostic criteria and modules.

Both of those articles are from 2012, the year before DSM-5 was released.
(They still refer to the DSM-4 model.)

Also, are you talking about premeditated crimes or crimes "of opportunity?"

My 27yo daughter [ASD3, mental age= 18mos.] might take food that isn't hers,
but has no concept of money
nor the steps necessary to rob a bank, even if she did.

Those crimes mentioned from those two articles tends to be more Impulsive than premeditated.

Last edited:
Those crimes mentioned from that those two articles tends to be more Impulsive than premeditated.
"Impulsive" crimes would tend toward ASD2s & 3s, not ASD1s.
I don't mean all 2s & 3s, just those whose co-morbid conditions include executive dysfunction.

I am sorry that we are having this conversation, but Forensics is part of my restricted interests.

Thank you for explaining.

I am sorry that we are having this conversation, but Forensics is part of my restricted interests.

Thank you for explaining.
How familiar are you with your own autism?
(Your questions seem more like someone with a theory, than with experience.)

We don't mind bringing interested NTs up to speed, but it is sometimes necessary to deal with a language barrier of sorts.

For the topic of autism & forensics, see
Dennis Debbaudt Teaches First Responders About Autism

I watched very similar videos and in those situations, people with ASD are overrepresented in forensic facilities.

Keep standard occurence of issues like sociopathy and psychopathy in mind. Sociopathy is present in about 4% of the general population (US). True psychopathy is found in about 1% of the population(US). Autism is found in about 2.8% of the general population (US). Keep in mind that autism is a broad spectrum so realistically we are looking at a possible third of that (physically and cognatively) capable. So we're looking at about .98% of the general population (US).

Is there possibility for comorbidity of psychopathy and sociopathy with the autistic community, yes, but the correlation between antisocial personality disorders among autistics is no higher than in the general population.

e.g.

Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and Antisocial Personality Disorder in Forensic Settings

This is from December 2021. The study was done at Broadmoor in the UK, so the statistics will not align perfectly with the US, but statistically speaking in both the US and the UK crimes are more likely to be committed by NT allistics and ND allistics (e.g. ADHDers) than low support need autistics. Consider that one of the noted traits of autism is a fierce sense of justice.

The among NT and ND allistics in the US, 20% of the population would steal if they thought they could get away with.

Keep standard occurence of issues like sociopathy and psychopathy in mind. Sociopathy is present in about 4% of the general population (US). True psychopathy is found in about 1% of the population(US). Autism is found in about 2.8% of the general population (US). Keep in mind that autism is a broad spectrum so realistically we are looking at a possible third of that (physically and cognatively) capable. So we're looking at about .98% of the general population (US).

Is there possibility for comorbidity of psychopathy and sociopathy with the autistic community, yes, but the correlation between antisocial personality disorders among autistics is no higher than in the general population.

e.g.

Comorbid Autism Spectrum Disorder and Antisocial Personality Disorder in Forensic Settings

This is from December 2021. The study was done at Broadmoor in the UK, so the statistics will not align perfectly with the US, but statistically speaking in both the US and the UK crimes are more likely to be committed by NT allistics and ND allistics (e.g. ADHDers) than low support need autistics. Consider that one of the noted traits of autism is a fierce sense of justice.

The among NT and ND allistics in the US, 20% of the population would steal if they thought they could get away with.

That is a good answer. I was wondering if there are rare causes where symptoms of ASD effects your understanding on what crimes you are being charged for, it's shi small-subgroup of people with ASD.

New Threads

Top Bottom