• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

About unusual studies about HFA and criminal behavior.

Oz67

There are a few articles that state that HFA can highten the risk for criminal behavior, but it's unusual because, in those situations, it's related to lack of social skills, not out of maliciousness or sadism. And those few studies are unusual, because most scientific articles states that most people with ASD are less likely to commit crimes and more likely to be victims than being perpetrators.

Those unusual studies:

Psychiatric comorbidities in asperger syndrome and high functioning autism: diagnostic challenges

Criminal responsibility in Asperger's syndrome - PubMed

Asperger's disorder and criminal behavior: forensic-psychiatric considerations - PubMed

Though they are still used colloquially, Aspergers Syndrome is no longer a valid clinical term.
HFA never was.

Your references are outdated, at best.

Today there is more of a distinction between what is native to autism and what can be attributed to severe co-morbid conditions. FYI, it is the latter that is on the rise, not benign autism [ASD1].

I am sorry that I posted outdated articles, it wasn't my intention. I hope that they make the same studies with updated terminologies.

I will post up to date studies here as well. I couldn't find studies with updated terminologies.

I couldn't find studies with updated terminologies.
It is not just their terminologies.
DSM-4 made Aspergers & (Kanner's) Autism to be two different conditions.
DSM-5 declares all autism to be the same, if only with varying co-morbid "loads."

Last edited:
It makes sense.

I wonder if I am correct that since more people are being diagnosed with ASD than in the past, that there are more criminal rates amongst the autistic population and some innocent people and criminals have undiagnosed ASD. And I did a research that there are some criminal behaviors related to lack of social skills, in the context of understanding social boundaries. Malicious and sadistic people with ASD are rare.

Statistically, most people with ASD are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators.

Criminal conduct would be the product of said co-morbids, usually in ASD2s, not in autism, itself.*

*By definition, ASD1 has a minimum of such co-morbids
and ASD3s lack the access, sophistication & executive function necessary to mount a criminal enterprise.

That is slightly confusing, because Asperger Syndrome is a form of Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and so is Autism.

Some people with ASD can encline to be criminals, but much less than neurotypicals, but people with Distributive, Impulsive Control and Conduct Disorders, especially Antisocial Personality Disorder, and specific paraphilic disorders to commit crimes even more.

That is slightly confusing, because Asperger Syndrome is a form of Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and so is Autism.
That was the DSM-4 paradigm.
What DSM-4 thought of as Pervasive Developmental Disorder,
DSM-5 calls Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Severity levels are just a gauge of the cumulative load of co-morbid conditions on-top-of one's autism.
  1. ASD1 can manage most of their own affairs as an adult.
  2. ASD2 can manage some of said affairs. They usually require a Guardian of Estate or similar.
  3. ASD3 won't manage any such affairs. They usually require a Guardian of Person, and of Estate.

Last edited:
Some people with ASD can encline to be criminals, but much less than neurotypicals, but people with Distributive, Impulsive Control and Conduct Disorders, especially Antisocial Personality Disorder, and specific paraphilic disorders to commit crimes even more.
You are still conflating autism with co-morbid [secondary] conditions.
Benign autism produces the stereotypical nerd, geek, eccentric, etc.; one who is dys-social, not particularly anti-social.

What you are describing about ASD Level 3 is very similar to Profound Intellectual Disability.

(Before edit) What you are describing about ASD is very similar to Profound Intellectual Disability.
No, it isn't. ASD can co-exist with gifted intelligence. That condition is called Twice Exceptional [2e].
Cognitive deficit is only one possible co-morbid condition found among ASD2s & 3s, depending on its severity.

One can be ASD and have zero cognitive deficits. Their severity score would be determined by their other co-morbid conditions (or lack thereof).

Last edited:
I know masking all day every day is frustrating. I know that I can snap over trivial matters. I see it as perfectly understandable, that being in the wrong situation at the wrong time - a meltdown, or simply buckling under many years of stress could lead to an outburst that'd get you arrested.

Ed

I know masking all day every day is frustrating. I know that I can snap over trivial matters. I see it as perfectly understandable, that being in the wrong situation at the wrong time - a meltdown, or simply buckling under many years of stress could lead to an outburst that'd get you arrested.

Ed
I have been answering from the perspective of premeditated crimes...

okay.JPG

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom