• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A rather strange feeling. (Compulsive words).

Daydreamer

Scatterbrained Creative
Sometimes I feel the need to say a particular set of words (Boom, cha, say wha'?) after I do certain things, and I'm not even sure why anymore. I guess you could call it a compulsion. However, it's not one that heavily plagues my mind per say. Usually if I refrain from doing it then I get this strange feeling.

The best way that I can think to describe it is by comparing it to a jigsaw puzzle. Imagine that you have almost completed a jigsaw, and only have one piece left. As tempting as it is to put that last piece in, you decide to leave it and walk out the door. It's not a big deal, but at the same time...it doesn't feel right. Now and then you think about that jigsaw during your day, it doesn't worry or haunt you, but at the same time this feeling follows you around. It's just kind of there in the background of your mind. Or maybe that's just me, if I left a jigsaw that only needed one more piece I'd randomly start thinking about it during the day.

When I don't say it, I get this feeling almost as if something is incomplete/ slightly off until I do. It's a slight nagging feeling that doesn't consume everything, but it's just almost constantly there in the background of my thoughts. I say this phrase when;

- Stopping to look behind me.

- When I leave most mornings.

-After tucking a chair under a desk or table.

-Occasionally after locking doors.

Not really sure why I do this anymore. I don't know if this is more a routine or a compulsion. Maybe it's a compulsive routine. *Shrugs* Anyone else here get this? :/

I identify with a lot of the feelings you describe, and the behavior is similar to mine, I just don't do it with particular words or phrases, which is I'm guessing what you were looking for in other people.. Sorry!

The feeling you describe is similar to the one I had to fight to control to ease my facial tics. They're under control now but I still can't resist the urge when I'm down or stressed.

Not sure of the origin, but I will sing songs or talk to myself out loud when doing mundane tasks. I sense that it is some kind of release - perhaps to enrich the task to something more fun. It's unusual, but certainly not in the abnormal/weird department. I can easily imagine that Autism plays some kind of a role. If it is stress related, I would understand that too. I was very animated as a kid and I still like antics and related verbal silliness. I'm not hurting anybody, and there are no voices in my head telling me to do it. I do it for fun, regardless of what prompts it.

It's leaving something unfinished. Like when someone (anyone) sneezes, I have to say "bless you" and I'm uneasy if it's in a situation that I absolutely can't - like during a prayer. :) There are other phrases that I do at certain times - it's been pointed out to me. But I think anyone might be able to relate to the sneeze blessing. :)

@Peter Morrison I do the same thing. Talk to myself when working on something or sing out loud.
I remember once in a nature park I set out to try to locate a certain tree that I kept seeing across a bay.
On the trek through the area I walked probably about a mile in the direction I thought I should find the tree and no one else was around. I sang Come Sail Away song by Styx all the way.
Why? Other than I was happy to be walking through the woods and I like the song.
And I found the tree. :D :deciduous::evergreen::deciduous:

The saying Bless You when I sneeze annoys me.
I feel I've brought attention to myself in public and not in a good way.
A sneeze is a negative thing to me. Noisy and maybe people think I have a cold.
Then I need to say Thank You for something I wish they hadn't said in the first place.
I'd rather they say nothing and let me at least feel not noticed for having a tickley nose. :weary:

Your jigsaw puzzle analogy is the perfect way to describe a compulsion. I might borrow it sometime to explain my own feelings.

My guess is that you, like so many others on the spectrum, also have OCD. When I think about it I am not at all surprised that so many of us have both. ASD and OCD compliment each other quite well.

This sounds like an OCD trait. I have a compulsion to point certain landmarks out when I pass them on a journey I take regularly.

Your jigsaw puzzle analogy is the perfect way to describe a compulsion. I might borrow it sometime to explain my own feelings.

My guess is that you, like so many others on the spectrum, also have OCD. When I think about it I am not at all surprised that so many of us have both. ASD and OCD compliment each other quite well.

Oh, I probably should've mentioned that I may or may not be on the spectrum. At the moment I'm leaning towards "Hmm, probably not" but sometimes I wonder. As far as I know though, I'm not.

@Peter Morrison I do the same thing. Talk to myself when working on something or sing out loud.
I remember once in a nature park I set out to try to locate a certain tree that I kept seeing across a bay.
On the trek through the area I walked probably about a mile in the direction I thought I should find the tree and no one else was around. I sang Come Sail Away song by Styx all the way.
Why? Other than I was happy to be walking through the woods and I like the song.
And I found the tree. :D :deciduous::evergreen::deciduous:

The saying Bless You when I sneeze annoys me.
I feel I've brought attention to myself in public and not in a good way.
A sneeze is a negative thing to me. Noisy and maybe people think I have a cold.
Then I need to say Thank You for something I wish they hadn't said in the first place.
I'd rather they say nothing and let me at least feel not noticed for having a tickley nose. :weary:
I LOVE that song - well, the first part anyway. :) And I'm sorry about the bless you's. :)

can you replace it with something that you like? or do you like it?

Although I have had compulsions that I did not like, the one I have mentioned is not one of them. I just feel a little odd whenever I do it, and usually I try to ignore the urge to do so if I'm around other people...but sometimes I do it anyway regardless, it varies.

New Threads

Top Bottom