• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A help program for autistic people in college... which I do not desire

How can they force you to undergo academic coaching? If that's not something that everyone gets, this would really tick me off, honestly. If you didn't ask for/want it, having them put me into a special category for special treatment isn't something that I would be OK with, personally.

I'm glad you can get out of the creepy sounding 'conversation club' though.
Its paid for. Everyone in the program has to start with it. It does feel forced. But it is expected that support will depend on how I do... they can decrease it.

Its paid for. Everyone in the program has to start with it. It does feel forced. But it is expected that support will depend on how I do... they can decrease it.

If I'm understanding correctly, you were placed in the program against your will though. Or at least, manipulated into signing up for it.

That is what doesn't sit right with me. It's not at all like you asked for help. You had this program shoved down your throat.

(Please read this previous post if you wanna get caught up... a little lengthy but try to take your time. A help program for autistic people in college... which I do not desire)

I went to the program's orientation just this morning.

I have some news that didn't match to my expectations.

Apparently, the Conversation Club is "required" as a member of the club. According to one of the program staff, they probably would not want people skipping it "unless" they are sick. It is meant to be a low-pressure environment. They said that if I didn't want to be part of the conversation aspect of the club due to my high-functioning and/or if I was bored, I would be relegated to interacting with others through games/activities instead. You know, it does not matter if it is either talking or playing games (enjoyed or not); IT IS STILL FEELS LIKE I AM BEING FORCED. I do not want be the type of person that skips, but I do not want the pressure. Why is that most people with autism are always gonna be forced into doing things they do not like?? Like what if I got more important things than THIS at the moment?? What if I do not want to play any games? What if I can hold a decent conversation for at least HALF an HOUR? People don't always read my mind.

The whole research study is required for us to participate. We CAN'T revoke this! It does not matter if we want to be named in it. Anonymous or not, we gotta be a part of this, this includes the club.

The staff member said that we will talk about it later. Maybe something can work out

I feel very uncertain and nervous now. I know I impulsively agreed to this but how am I supposed to deal with this now is gonna really depend on what goes for me when I check it out.

Last edited:
(Please read this previous post if you wanna get caught up... a little lengthy but try to take your time. A help program for autistic people in college... which I do not desire)

I went to the program's orientation just this morning.

I have some news that didn't match to my expectations.

Apparently, the Conversation Club is "required" as a member of the club. According to one of the program staff, they probably would not want people skipping it "unless" they are sick. It is meant to be a low-pressure environment. They said that if I didn't want to be part of the conversation aspect of the club due to my high-functioning and/or if I was bored, I would be relegated to interacting with others through games/activities instead. You know, it does not matter if it is either talking or playing games (enjoyed or not); IT IS STILL FEELS LIKE I AM BEING FORCED. I do not want be the type of person that skips, but I do not want the pressure. Why is that most people with autism are always gonna be forced into doing things they do not like?? Like what if I got more important things than THIS at the moment?? What if I do not want to play any games? What if I can hold a decent conversation for at least HALF an HOUR? People don't always read my mind.

The whole research study is required for us to participate. We CAN'T revoke this! It does not matter if we want to be named in it. Anonymous or not, we gotta be a part of this, this includes the club.

The staff member said that we will talk about it later. Maybe something can work out

I feel very uncertain and nervous now. I know I impulsively agreed to this but how am I supposed to deal with this now is gonna really depend on what goes for me when I check it out.

Uncertain? I'd walk out. With both middle fingers in the air. And maybe my pants down too.

Seriously, you were pressured into consenting to something that you do not want and I would tell them that in no uncertain terms. "I was pressured into signing up for this, I do not want this, and I will not be participating in this. I don't need this and I am not comfortable with this."

Uncertain? I'd walk out. With both middle fingers in the air. And maybe my pants down too.

Seriously, you were pressured into consenting to something that you do not want and I would tell them that in no uncertain terms. "I was pressured into signing up for this, I do not want this, and I will not be participating in this. I don't need this and I am not comfortable with this."

I just had a discussion with my family about this.

I will update you about myself after maybe a week or so. Other than that I appreciate you guys having a conversation about how I feel.

UPDATE as of 9/5/2019

Apparently there is no turning back on this program for now... not at least until the end of the year when there is some joint agreement between me and the program as to whether to continue. So far I think the program is doing okay for me.

I guess its fate that some people with autism are to be held at a high standard in society.

UPDATE as of 9/5/2019

Apparently there is no turning back on this program for now... not at least until the end of the year when there is some joint agreement between me and the program as to whether to continue. So far I think the program is doing okay for me.

I guess its fate that some people with autism are to be held at a high standard in society.

How are you stuck? Attend "conversation club" or you're expelled?

I wouldn't say that's holding you to a higher standard. My impression may be wrong but it sounds like forcing you into remedial classes because they expect you to fail otherwise.

How can they get away with this?

After evaluating my own thoughts on the matter today, I realized that just by having me sign it was the tipping point (I should not have invited my family into the meetings, but its too late). This is my responsibility as of now. They can only just wait until the end of the second semester when presumably it is either I continue or not in my following years as a college student.

Last edited:
How are you stuck? Attend "conversation club" or you're expelled?

I wouldn't say that's holding you to a higher standard. My impression may be wrong but it sounds like forcing you into remedial classes because they expect you to fail otherwise.

It has nothing to do with remedial courses. It has something to do with just redundancy with this "Conversation Club," because like I said, I am pretty high functioning. I can't be expelled just for not attending. It doesn't even say in the guidelines.

But I guess the worst thing they can do is just bother me about the matter should I not attend.

If there are no real repercussions for not going, just don't go.

Having someone following me around to class would be a hard no too. Can you tell them you were pressured into signing and you do not consent?

If there are no real repercussions for not going, just don't go.

Having someone following me around to class would be a hard no too. Can you tell them you were pressured into signing and you do not consent?
I honestly doubt it. But I can tell you that they give me a choice to tell them to not sit near me. They never state the real repercussions, yes. But who knows?

I'll just wait until the end of the year. And besides its not like this is the first program I ever been to because I was also made into going to another program back at high school.

New Threads

Top Bottom