• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

23 Signs You're About To Be Fired

Interesting article. Whether potentially involving one's autism or not, this might proved useful to some of you.

23 signs you're about to be fired
I wish a job could of actually done the nice thing of actually firing me. I've been taking off the schedule indefinitely and been tricked into quitting but have never actually been 'fired' as you would so call it. LMAO

Well I did get fired from one strip club by a recently promoted floor guy to power tripping manager. I got to be his example of his new found power. >:

I wish a job could of actually done the nice thing of actually firing me. I've been taking off the schedule indefinitely and been tricked into quitting but have never actually been 'fired' as you would so call it. LMAO

Well I did get fired from one strip club by a recently promoted floor guy to power tripping manager. I got to be his example of his new found power. >:

Some employers are terrified of the prospects of an unlawful termination suit. So they simply sidestep the issue in question. Which may entail making an employee's life miserable- until they quit on their own volition. The trick is whatever an employer does in such a capacity, that they not have any evidence of how they go about it.

I used to underwrite such liability for an insurance company. It always amused me that there was one type of exposure that always stood out with unlawful termination suits more than others. People working in law offices other than in the capacity as a lawyer. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is there anything one can do when you have been pushed to quit your job? This happened to me, I lost my career, my ability to support myself, my health insurance, everything. I suppose I have no legal recourse? In the US

Is there anything one can do when you have been pushed to quit your job? This happened to me, I lost my career, my ability to support myself, my health insurance, everything. I suppose I have no legal recourse? In the US

The short answer? Probably not.

Such a scenario doesn't constitute wrongful termination per se. Seems to me it would amount to litigating over a conspiracy of an employer intending to get an employee to quit their job. Good luck with any accusation of conspiracy, whether in a criminal, let alone a civil court. Unless of course you can find evidence or witnesses to the contrary.

I always recall my uncle once commenting on his first day of work on a new government job. Where after completing all the usual forms for new employment, he had to sign his own resignation to be kept on file. Of course the date could be filled in later if required. But that was in a different era long ago.

Well, I don't seem to experience any of the symptoms in this article other than that "I'm gonna get fired" feeling. I get that feeling a lot because I feel like I always screw up and let everyone down due to my lack of common sense, making assumptions, immaturity and poor communication skills. I have screwed up more than average, yet I'm still employed. My coworkers tell me that I'm being paranoid and that I always put myself down. They're right, I just have no faith in myself. Every time someone asks me a "why" question I start worrying I might be in trouble. I always feel like I'm a bad employee, to say nothing of feeling like I'm a bad son, a bad friend...just someone who always lets people down. Anyone here experience a similar feeling? Everyone always reassures me that I'm not a bad employee, and just overall NOT a bad guy. I do have good days when I smile and say to myself "I know I can", but that doesn't stop me from feeling like the odd duck, and that feeling burdens me every single day, amongst others. So far I managed to keep this job for more than 5 years, so I'm guessing that's my main source of hope here.

Slide 9 - pfft...
It's important to fit into the company's culture. That means taking one for the team sometimes, as HR consultant Laurie Ruettimann tells Reader's Digest: "If we ask you to travel for your job or attend a conference, it's not really a question. Say no, and it can be career-ending."
The first time I disclosed my Asperger's to a manager, she came up with the "recommendation" that I should not present results at conferences, on the grounds that I didn't give a favourable impression. Her boss backed her up, saying "You don't learn to swim by jumping in at the deep end" and I said "No, but you don't learn to swim by staying away from water either!"

Sadly, that was that. I have never travelled abroad on behalf of work and with Brexit looming it seems even less likely.

One time that I was fired, they got another person in as a replacement before firing me, but I didn't realise until later what was going on.

I once got a job working 60 hours a week at Boots' Chemist in Meadowhall which was supposed to be for 9 months covering for a woman on maternity, i lasted about a month if that before I got the boot.

So much for Boots' saying they looked after disabled people.

I mean yeah OK I was taking "unauthorised breaks", I was slow on the till, but I have disabilities and need to use the bathroom a lot, I can't help that.

The one time I was actually fired, I had no warning signs whatsoever. I had been working hard and performing way above average. One day I called my boss to call in sick because I was in bed with pneumonia, and she told me not to bother coming back in, ever, and hung up on me. Still not sure what I did wrong back then.

I mean yeah OK I was taking "unauthorised breaks", I was slow on the till, but I have disabilities and need to use the bathroom a lot, I can't help that.
That’s terrible. I had a boss like that too, who scolded me for being away from my desk more than the 10 daily minutes I was allowed. She didn’t care that I need to take toilet breaks often due to a medical condition and 10 minutes a day just wasn’t enough. I asked her if she’d prefer me to do my business on my desk chair. She wasn’t amused and punished me by docking my pay, I ended up quitting very shortly afterwards.

That’s terrible. I had a boss like that too, who scolded me for being away from my desk more than the 10 daily minutes I was allowed. She didn’t care that I need to take toilet breaks often due to a medical condition and 10 minutes a day just wasn’t enough. I asked her if she’d prefer me to do my business on my desk chair. She wasn’t amused and punished me by docking my pay, I ended up quitting very shortly afterwards.

Reminds me of someone who was once asked to provide a stool sample.

He brought in the whole massive thing.

Lifted it out of a bag,placed it on the front desk.

In a see through Tupperware jug.

Perhaps if you've been fiddling the accounts and stealing from the company and you are told to step into the bosses office where you see 2 police officers that say "you are under arrest..." Etc. Etc. you might just get a very slight incline that you could possibly lose your job. Nah, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

If you arrive at your work premises one morning to see a large heavy chain across the main entrance door and a sign saying "gone into liquidation" along with a contact number for the official receivers there might be an ever so slim chance that there could be a need to worry lol! I shouldn't really laugh because that has really happened to some poor innocent individuals in the UK and life really is unfair, in that situation even if they're due to be paid they might not receive it because wages are just one more debt that the company owes that is dealt with by the official receiver, if they're lucky they might get some of it eventually if there's enough money available after all the assets are sold off.

The boss calls you into the office and shouts, "Clean your desk out" and after your desk is spotless and tidy you go back to the boss and say, "My desk is clean and tidy, what would you like me to do next?", but the boss shouts, "What you still doing here, GET OUT!", you're then really confused and wonder what's wrong, you did as he instructed, where does he want you to go?

Last edited:
I can imagine the sorts of roles where I would get fired after about a week without having to go through with it in reality, probably why I don't apply to as much jobs these days because i'm not the right fit for the job. For instance, say i was working in retail as a cashier; a week in and its already gotten tiring from interacting with people and can't put on a fake smile any longer, I snap and walk out and have a mental breakdown, how long do you think this will catch on to the employer? i'd give it about a week and won't even look good as a reference, it will show I can't deal with pressure, and that I lied on my CV about being a good communicator, team player etc.

Being fired on performance grounds is not the same as being made redundant.

My former employer worked very hard at "eliminating positions." I guess they figured it's more affordable to pay unemployment benefits than to fire people for cause and take a risk of a lawsuit.

In my case, here's how I found out I was about to lose a job after 25 years at the company:

I called into a scheduled meeting with my boss. "MountainTrails, Chirpy HR Rep is here in the room with me ... resource optimization ... here's 2 weeks salary, there's the door." ... What?

New Threads

Top Bottom