• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

2000s aesthetic

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
This is a place to celebrate early 2000s nostalgia vibes. I was looking at an old mp3 player and it got me in a mood.

1701137081768.jpeg

I love watching videos like these. Pretty sure they're just time travelers, since cameras were kind of huge and obvious back then, yet they're just chilling there and shooting video like they're on a modern phone.

Maybe it was just my age at the time, but I have way more nostalgia for the 2000s than the 90s even though I technically grew up in both. It's funny that quite a lot hasn't changed since the 2000s, though, too.

Who says they're not shot from a huge and obvious camera? Notice the occasional video tear in the upper image when the camera moves quickly. That was a videotape issue. Also, the steadiness of image and smooth zoom suggests the camera was actually on a tripod.

Who says they're not shot from a huge and obvious camera? Notice the occasional video tear in the upper image when the camera moves quickly. That was a videotape issue. Also, the steadiness of image and smooth zoom suggests the camera was actually on a tripod.

Yeah, that channel kind of seems like they might've been doing news / media work at the time and these were just some cool outtakes, but I love the weird YT comment theories :D

Another great 2000s snapshot

I love watching videos like these. Pretty sure they're just time travelers, since cameras were kind of huge and obvious back then, yet they're just chilling there and shooting video like they're on a modern
I forgot how different Walmart looked. Almost everything had a different logo back then. I also like to look at old camera stuff. It shows how far we have come.

1701139322894.jpeg

Unfortunately nobody seems to have a good picture of this, but I thought I was the coolest kid on the block with this anti-skip discman. The best part is that there was just a slight delay and after a bit of shaking it would start skipping like crazy anyway, totally negating whatever awesome technology it claimed to have :D

I love how orderly and polite everyone seems in the Walmart video.

I grew up in the 2000s but my family was and is always a little anachronistic. We were once mistaken for Amish. I still am mistaken for Amish on a regular basis.

The Motorola Razr phones were so neat, more of an accessory than just a way to call people. And compared to a Nokia 3310 or Kyocera they were definitely stylish.

Japanese cars were still cool and manual transmissions were still more of an option on economy cars.

Part of being homeschooled weirdos was figuring out how to watch PBS Kids on the gray Magnavox television without anyone noticing. Set the rabbit ears, tune in the station - Channel 13 was WBTW News 13 of course out of Myrtle Beach and I forgot what station PBS was on. So much animation and I remember there were tons of games at the library on those computers which were themed off the PBS kids shows.

It seemed like going to the store was more magical then, and that storekeepers tried keeping more stock in trade. Perhaps this was true because there wasn't so much a threat from online retail. But I do remember Barnes and Noble before they got killed by the internet- but they are now in the mall, and malls themselves seem to be on the way out.

I feel like I missed a lot of the exciting parts that people would say "made" the 2000s but I had an alright time then overall. One thing I did miss? 35mm cameras!

Oddly, I don't have an awful lot of things from the 2000s. To be honest, I don't particularly remember that decade much or fondly at all lol!

But I do still have my first ever iPod! It's about 20 years old now and I've recently been giving it a 2020s update :)

IMG_20231128_030331_987.jpg

It no longer looks pristine obviously. But it's mine and all of those scuffs and scratches a part of what makes it my iPod and no one else's :smilecat:

I'm happy that straight legged and flared pants are coming back in style. I like the cozy stretch of leggings, but I miss the roominess of bell bottoms.

I'm happy that straight legged and flared pants are coming back in style. I like the cozy stretch of leggings, but I miss the roominess of bell bottoms.
I used to like them too. They looked quite cool, but the regular rain here in the UK made them a bit irritating because the wicked up the rain water and then you had soggy ankles and shins lol! They used to be called "Street Sweepers" because they were often swiping the ground as you walked. Maybe that's why they invented platform shoes?! :)

When people get nostalgic about stuff in the 2000s it makers me feel old and depressed. I even saw a question on Reddit today where someone asked people who are old enough to remember about Y2K. Although my mom didn't remember much of it until I mentioned it to her later. Of course, she didn't believe in that fear-mongering nonsense at all and laughed when I told he how the home where I was still living at the time on New Year's Eve in 1999 filled the sinks and bathtub full of water, even though the staff admitted that probably wasn't necessary, as we were watching the New Year being televised and celebrated all over the world and everything seemed fine. Of course it wouldn't last.

2000 saw the release of the first console MMO - Phantasy Star Online on Sega Dreamcast.

Along with the sequel PSU - I've invested colossal hours into the games on original and 3rd party servers.

797c56d1beb112c9c9d093acd0e5debb.jpg

1920px-Dreamcast-Console-Set.jpg

Phantasy_Star_Online_screenshot.png

Ed

When people get nostalgic about stuff in the 2000s it makers me feel old and depressed. I even saw a question on Reddit today where someone asked people who are old enough to remember about Y2K. Although my mom didn't remember much of it until I mentioned it to her later. Of course, she didn't believe in that fear-mongering nonsense at all and laughed when I told he how the home where I was still living at the time on New Year's Eve in 1999 filled the sinks and bathtub full of water, even though the staff admitted that probably wasn't necessary, as we were watching the New Year being televised and celebrated all over the world and everything seemed fine. Of course it wouldn't last.

The reality was that all our clients sent us bits of paper to sign stating that our systems were Year 2000 compliant and we wouldn't have trouble supplying them - which we refused to sign in case it set us up for a big lawsuit. And we sent all our customers bits of paper to sign stating that all their systems were Y2K compliant and they wouldn't have trouble paying us - which they declined to sign in case it set them up for a big lawsuit.

We spent all of 1999 doing that... and then I had to be in the office babysitting a bank of computers all night on New Year's Eve... and then nothing went wrong.

I did try to convince my employer that the much greater risks were i) lack of investment in new equipment; ii) employees installing unlicensed software; and iii) employees giving their credentials to colleagues from other companies so they could "collaborate more easily".

MMO Phantasy Star Online... and to think the modern PSO2 has had professional singers singing as avatars for a recreational music concert component of the game.

@DaisyRose's first post reminded me of my own first MP3 player. It was such an incredible thing to have so much music in a tiny little device. To go from a walkman to a discman to the MP3 player felt like an incredible transition.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 12.12.54 AM.png

New Threads

Top Bottom