• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

1990s Alternative Rock

Hole singing Nirvana's "You Know You're Right", shortly after Kurt's death:

I actually like this version better than the Nirvana studio version.

I know this is pre 1990s , but it’s Alternative- at least that’s what they said at the time .

Last edited:
I know this is pre 1990s , but it’s Alternative- at least that’s what they said at the time .

Alternative started in the post-punk mid 80s, actually earlier than that, I mean think of punk and post punk bands in the 70s (Devo, The Cure, Joy Division, Siouxsie, The Talking Heads, Depeche Mode, The Runaways, etc). It was a stripped-down rejection of the consumerist glam and excess permeating society during that time.

In 2022, with all the government and societal oppression and the ridiculous excesses of the music industry, I think the youth of today are overdue for another wave of punk.

3 kids- A guitar, a bass, and basic drum kit. You don't even need to know how to play. That's how it starts.

Last edited:
Alternative started in the post-punk mid 80s, actually earlier than that, as a stripped-down rejection of the consumerist glam and excess permeating society during that time. I think the youth of today are overdue for another wave of punk.

3 kids- A guitar, a bass, and basic drum kit. You don't even need to know how to play. That's how it starts.
I was referring to the Threads post 1990s Alternative. Was not sure if I could post something older . I agree with you in need of another wave of some kind of music with out all the image .

Last edited:
R.E.M. are still alternative despite their major success, right? ;)
Yeah @thesaunderschild the bands don't have to be underground at all. You know, I'm thinking of the bands that played on Mtv Alternative Nation or on the Alternative Radio stations. So, not really underground at all. But if you like a band that was underground, that's fine too. No rules. This is about happy nostalgia.

@Moogwizard the music can be from really any decade. I posted Blister in the Sun, from The Violent Femmes, and I think that came out in 1982. Also, bands like Alice in Chains and Soundgarden had many hits in the 1980s. There's no rules- just fun :)

Last edited:
I made a Spotify playlist with all the songs mentioned in this thread, here it is in case you are interested:

Link: Aspies <3 90s
Screenshot from 2022-11-22 23-42-02.png

A couple of them were not available in Spotify tho.

Also, one more song:

New Threads

Top Bottom