• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your Username and/or Avatar/Photo.

Just wondering why people choose the avatars they chose. Is it to represent who you feel you are or who you'd like to be? Is it hiding behind a mask? Or just something you like?

I'm just curious. I wonder all the time why people have chosen the photo they've chosen to represent themselves. You can see from mine, I have a hard time finding something suitable so I just go with me in one of my favorite spots.

If I were to change mine, what would any of you suggest that you think might be appropriate for me?
My original avatar was related to my screen name, Shamar. Shamar is an old Turkish word meaning "a slap to the face," as in a challenge to a duel. I chose it because living as an autistic in an NT world is like always a slap to the face. This is the original:
Shamar Icon.jpg
When I came across the quote about judging a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, I decided that was more appropriate, and made a new avatar to go with it.

Yours is nice. I think that the non-portrait images/symbols often represent an internal quality of a member rather than just not being their face.
I think my difficulty is I don't know what my internal qualities are or I can't pick just one to represent me. If I go with my own face it is at least the same thing I present to everyone so it's consistent and authentic.

I see the butterfly, but not the cat...
Someone once asked about my avatar, saying they liked it and ask if it was a lion face with a butterfly on it.

The meant to be Jaguar face is the illusion part.
An abstract play of blues and white spots, when just looking casually it's suppose to be a close up of
a frontal view of a cat face with a butterfly on the end of the nose.
The top of the butterfly wings appear where the eyes would be and give it a squinted look.
The bottom of the butterfly is the open or snarled mouth. Bottom white spot is the chin.
Dark blue on light blue spots give depth like spots or wrinkles on brow and cheeks.
Illusion of full front view of feline face. Butterfly is true to life.
Whether the feline face is snarling, talking or even about to sneeze is up to the viewer.

Anyway, I was wondering why so many of the Avatars do not show?
At least on my PC. There are many that are just little grey boxes with an X in the corner
followed by the username.

Does anyone else have this problem with the display or know why it is so?

Although I still love Neville Longbottom, it was time for an avatar change. My avatar is now Mordecai from "Regular Show." I relate to his character (and Skips and Pops, to some degree). This cartoon helps me get through tough times, so it will always be meaningful to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom