• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your Top Ten All Time Favorite Movies

Listing only ten favorites doesn't do justice to it all. So many great films. Though as one who appreciates the military genre of films, I was tempted to list ones like "A Bridge Too Far" and "Gettysburg". However I didn't, because both had an eerily similar narrative that was flawed.

Operation "Market Garden" was a concept developed by Field Marshall Montgomery- not General Fredrick "Boy" Browning. Yet apparently director Richard Attenborough chose to leave Montgomery's role largely out of the entire equation. Casting a shadow over Browning, whose job was to execute Montgomery's plan. A plan that was terribly flawed, particularly regarding poor intelligence of what German units were in all the drop zones and logistical errors in terms of paratroops and the distances they had to advance to hold their assigned positions. It was a disaster, costing the Allies another six months to defeating the Third Reich.

"Gettysburg" also dealt with a similar historic dynamic. That in as much as Robert E. Lee was both a respected tactician and beloved general by his troops, the offensive foray of his army of Northern Virginia, was very different compared to all of his defensive campaigns that resulted in victories. That much like Operation Market Garden, this operation into Union territory involved a failure of adequate intelligence in central Pennsylvania (no thanks to Jeb Stuart's cavalry) and a catastrophic decision to launch a direct attack across a mile of open ground against Union troops between Seminary and Cemetery Ridge. Equally ordering General Hood to move in an uphill assault on "Devil's Den" was also disastrous. Had Hood's cavalry attempted an end-run completely around "Devil's Den", it may have allowed for a different outcome.

Perhaps the closest battle fought which proved as disastrous for the South as "Gallipoli" was for Britain and Winston Churchill in particular. Where the only real hint of any of this was a brief conversation between Lee and Stuart where Stuart offered his resignation, and Lee scorned him as well as refused his resignation. Leaving the only person to really question this folly to General Longstreet, who seemed to be the only one predicting what would happen. But as a good soldier, he followed his orders.

Though of the two generals (Montgomery and Lee) I see Lee as the one who made a far greater mistake in comparison. Both were very cautious tacticians, always mindful of limited logistics. But unlike Montgomery, Lee threw caution to the wind at Gettysburg in going on the offense in the wrong place and time which was never his best suit.

Some directors/producers want to be both sensitive to their viewers. I get that. Not wanting to spoil public perceptions of Lee or Montgomery as beloved, yet flawed military leaders. And in these two instances despite not focusing on these tactical errors the films were otherwise excellent, IMO. Both of course are in my DVD library.

But then there are hundreds of war films that have technical glitches which can make historians either laugh or cringe...or most likely both. :oops:

Last edited:
In no particular order:

• Planes, Trains and Automobiles
  • Uncle Buck
  • Breakfast Club
  • I've Heard the Mermaids Singing
  • Niagara Niagara
  • Room With a View
  • Stop Making Sense
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Being
  • The Good The Bad And The Ugly
  • Once Upon a Time in the West
That list would change since there are so many movies I like, but that's just off the top of my head.

I don’t watch movies much - hardly at all really. But here is my list in no particular order:

Dirty Dancing
Original Indiana Jones
Original Star Wars
Burnt by the Sun
Jean de Florette
Manon des Sources
Rabbit Proof Fence
Nine Canoes

Others come to mind, but I am terrible at remembering titles.

I can make a 'top ten' list from the following:

- I recently viewed the movie 'Network' (LINK): The 1976 film, 'Network' was ahead of it's time. So much of the present in news-media is so familiar in 'Network.

- Film-maker Michael Moore's documentaries.

- 2001 Space Odyssey - Several films that were excellent adaptations from original books (rarities) are on my list.

- Once Upon a Time In Hollywood - The book following the movie is a good read.

- Player (1992).

- Several little-known independent U.S. and foreign films I've found notable - I cannot recall specific film names.

LINK: Network (1976 film) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
No particular order

Filth 2013
The servant 1963
French connection 1 and 2
Performance 1970
Runners 1983
The night porter 1974
Damien omen 2 1978
Napoleon dynamite
Give my regards to broad street 1984

- I recently viewed the movie 'Network' (LINK): The 1976 film, 'Network' was ahead of it's time. So much of the present in news-media is so familiar in 'Network.

- 2001 Space Odyssey - Several films that were excellent adaptations from original books (rarities) are on my list.

- Player (1992).

- Several little-known independent U.S. and foreign films I've found notable - I cannot recall specific film names.

- Player (1992).

LINK: Network (1976 film) - Wikipedia
I only listed three films in my top ten favorite movies which may be considered 'postmodern' (LINK) in nature:

- Player (1992)

- Network (1976)

- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

A list of personal top 50 movie favorites would be necessary to include other 'postmodern' picks such as:

- Stranger Than Fiction.

- Being John Malkovitch.

- Adaptation.

Is it possible for adults on the 'Autism Spectrum' to note stories with 'postmodern' / meta-themes? Meta-themed content clearly points-out ironies, and the use of storyline tools common in......fiction. In short, storylines with guideposts in "the eyes of people" on the Autism Spectrum.

LINK: List of metafictional works - Wikipedia

1. Lord of the Rings

2. Kill Bill

3. The Matrix

4. Thinner

5. Silver Bullet

6. The Shinning

7. Pet Cemetary

8. Hell Boy

9. Pearl

10. Taken

I only listed three films in my top ten favorite movies which may be considered 'postmodern' (LINK) in nature:

- Player (1992)

- Network (1976)

- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

A list of personal top 50 movie favorites would be necessary to include other 'postmodern' picks such as:

- Stranger Than Fiction.

- Being John Malkovitch.

- Adaptation.

Is it possible for adults on the 'Autism Spectrum' to note stories with 'postmodern' / meta-themes? Meta-themed content clearly points-out ironies, and the use of storyline tools common in......fiction. In short, storylines with guideposts in "the eyes of people" on the Autism Spectrum.

LINK: List of metafictional works - Wikipedia
ADDENDUM: 'The Truman Show' is a widely known example of a meta-narrative film.

Forbidden Planet
Any film by Guillermo del Toro
Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Fargo
The Cowboys
North by Northwest
Any other film by Hitchcock
Spartacus

Mine are, in no particular order:

1. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

2. Cinderella

3. Napoleon Dynamite

4. Back to the Future

5. The Lord of the Rings Original Trilogy (3 movies, I know, but I love them all equally)

6. The Star Wars Original Trilogy (Again, 3 movies, I know, but I love them all equally)

7. The Neverending Story

8. Into the Wild

9. Pin Up Girl

10. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Honorable Mention (I love them just as much as the others, but there's not enough room to add them):

11. The Goonies

12. The Labyrinth

13. How to Marry a Millionaire

14. Gold Diggers of 1933

15, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

16. The Fiddler on the Roof

17. The Karate Kid

18. Sixteen Candles

19. The Sword in the Stone

20. Swiss Family Robinson

What are your ten favorite movies?
I like
Pretty woman
Sleepless in Seattle
Father of the bride 1 and 2
Sound of music
Grease
Legally blonde
The holiday
Never been kissed
Romy and Michele's high school reunion
Dirty dancing

Honourable mentions

Sister act 1 and 2
The wedding singer
Home alone 1 and 2
Uncle buck
Dennis the menace
Notting Hill
Serendipity
Ghost
A walk to remember
How to lose a guy in 10 days
My girl 1 and 2
Stand by me
Mrs Doubtfire
Free willy
A dog's way home
Beauty and the beast the animation
Forrest Gump
The day after tomorrow
Deep impact
Titanic
Singing in the rain
Beaches
The breakfast club
Centre stage
The grinch
Strictly ballroom
Alex and emma
The Simpson's movie
City of angels
Xanadu

I don't know if I can remember enough to make a top ten... but here are some anyway.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Deadpool
The Avengers movies
Free Guy
Imminence
Now Voyager

What are those movies we want to see more than twice?

Selection of (lesser-known) top favorite movies in alphabetical-order.

- A Clockwork Orange (1971).
- Adaptation (2002).
- American Splendor (2003).
- Boogie Nights (1997).
- Capitalism: A Love Story (2009).
- Fahrenheit 11/9 (2018).
- Magnolia (1999).
- Network (1976).
- Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019).
- Player, The (1992).
- 2001 Space Odyssey (1968).

* An eleventh choice was needed - as I couldn't decide whether or not to include 'A Clockwork Orange', or 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.'

Anybody view any of these lesser-known movies?

- Adaptation (2002).
- Boogie Nights (1997).
- Magnolia (1999).
- Network (1976).
- Player, The (1992).

* An eleventh choice was needed - as I couldn't decide whether or not to include 'A Clockwork Orange', or 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.'

I've heard of all of them. Of the lesser-known ones, I have seen Adaptation and American Splendor. I enjoyed both.

Very difficult to make a top ten, but in alphabetical order, 16 movies I seriously like, instead:

'An Angel At My Table', dir.: Jane Campion, 1990
'Awakenings', dir.: Penny Marshall, 1990
'Big Fish', dir.: Tim Burton, 2003
'Certain Women', dir.: Kelly Reichardt, 2016
'Donnie Darko, dir.: Richard Kelly, 2001
'The Fairy Trail - Naturgeistern auf der Spur', dir.: Britta Schmidtke, Till Gerhard, 2013
'The Florida Project', dir.: Sean Baker, 2017
'Hereditary', dir.: Ari Aster, 2018
'Monsieur Lazhar', dir.: Philippe Falardeau, 2011
'Naked', dir.: Mike Leigh, 1993
'On Body and Soul', dir.: Ildikó Enyedi, 2017
'Penda's Fen', dir.: Alan Clarke, 1974
'The Son', dir.: Jean-Pierre Dardenne, Luc Dardenne, 2002
'Tracks', dir.: John Curran, 2013
'The Witch', dir.: Robert Eggers, 2015
'You, The Living', dir.: Roy Andersson, 2007

- Adaptation (2002).
- Boogie Nights (1997).
- Magnolia (1999).
- Network (1976).
- Player, The (1992).

I have not seen
- Network (1976).
- Player, The (1992).
but I have seen the others. All of them great films in my opinion too. 'A Clockwork Orange' is a very hard film to watch, I think, but unforgettable. I also read the novel by Anthony Burgess, which I won't forget either.

1. Gone with the Wind
2. The Wild Geese
3. The Godfather
4. The Godfather II
5. The Godfather III
6. Apocalypse Now
7. Gettysburg
8. Citizen Kane
9. Casablanca
10. On Any Sunday

Some other all time favorites of mine.

The Descent (the unrated version with the original UK ending)
Infinity Pool
Dead Ringers
Castle in the Sky
Princess Mononoke
Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
Satantango
Evil Dead II
Alien
Aliens
Paprika
Perfect Blue
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
Santa Sangre
Hard Boiled
Unicorn Wars
Jackie Brown

Lisdt of top ten movies in alphabetical order:

- Across the Universe (2007).
- Back to the Future (1985).
- CastAway (2001).
- Forrest Gump (1994).
- *An Inconvenient Truth (2006).
- *An Inconvenient Sequel (2017).
- Larry Crowne (2011).
- Man Who Killed Don Quixote, The (2018).
- Moonstruck (1988).
- Stand By Me (1986).

Some other all time favorites of mine.

The Descent (the unrated version with the original UK ending)
Infinity Pool
Dead Ringers
Castle in the Sky
Princess Mononoke
Raging Bull
Taxi Driver
Satantango
Evil Dead II
Alien
Aliens
Paprika
Perfect Blue
The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover
Santa Sangre
Hard Boiled
Unicorn Wars
Jackie Brown
Hard boiled ,great film I love chow yun fat's films I also loved a better tomorrow

From Dusk till Dawn the original movie
Pulp Fiction
Star Wars episodes 5-4-6 in that order
Napoleon Dynamite
Hot Fuzz
The Faculty
The Shining
Dawn of The Dead (filmed close to my hometown in Wisconsin so that's super cool)

New Threads

Top Bottom