• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your "to read" list

. . .

V.I.P Member
Do you have a list of books you want to read? I decided to make a reading queue for myself and set a pile of books that I want to read beside my bed.

My current book queue is:

. The Lyonesse series by Jack Vance (I'm still reading this. It's a huge book. It has 1000+ pages and the font is small, but I still should have been done reading it by now)

. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynn Jones (I haven't read much fantasy before so I figure I'll read this after Lyonesse to get another small dose of fantasy. Most people say this is better than the film. I liked the animation and music in the film, but something prevented me from enjoying it as much as most other Miyazaki films. Hope this won't disappoint; it shouldn't)

. The Demon Princes series by Jack Vance (it'll be nice to compare Vance's sci-fi with his fantasy. Lyonesse is fantasy while this is pure sci-fi. I was supposed to read this by now but the copy I ordered months ago got lost in the bloody mail. Luckily an American sci-fi buff who I befriended recently decided to send me a spare copy of his for free)

. A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin (the only thing I've read by George R.R. Martin is his sci-fi novelette Sandkings which came out 30+ years ago; did I ever love it. Last year someone was telling me how great of a series ASOIAF is which prompted me to read reviews about it. To lots of people, this is on par with Lord of the Rings and some people even call Martin "the new Tolkien". I just bought the first three books from the series in hardcover format and will probably buy the fourth and fifth books as soon as A Dance with Dragons, the fifth book, comes out in June)

lyonesse-howls-moving-castle-demon-princes-11.jpg
lyonesse-howls-moving-castle-demon-princes-21.jpg

Well The Lincoln Lawyer is on my to read list.

After that I have a couple of other books I need to finish reading.

Vampire Hunter D novel volume 9
Then the rest of the Vampire Hunter D Novel series.
Black Jack volumes 6 through 17.
Library Wars

Most likely I'll end up reading my text book before getting to my "to read list". :S

Alastor series by Jack Vance

Alastor_trilogy_limited_in_slipcase_1.jpg

Araminta Station by Jack Vance

4406540557_ee5c1043be.jpg

The Hedge Knight by George R. R. Martin

DsDC_HK-TPB2.jpg

I just made a huge book queue last night.

This is what's on my immediate "to read" list:

Cosmos-A-Song-of-Ice-and-Fire.jpg

Been reading about 100 pages a day lately. I'm going to try to read at least a book a week, though this may prove to be quite difficult considering that lots of the books in my queue are long.

1. I'm currently finishing The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking.

2. I just started Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche. This is part of a larger volume though called The Portable Nietzsche which contains 4 works + other notes and letters. It's going to take some time to read them all. :p

3. I also just ordered Chaos: Making a New Science by James Gleick.

4. I have a few books on my shelf I haven't gotten around to reading yet: Marxist analysis and social anthropology, The Descent of Man by Charles Darwin (have read part of it), Cruise of the Betsey by Hugh Miller, and a few others I can't recall the name of. :p Most of these books are old / 19th century of early 20th century.

There's tons I want to buy to add to it,
but my to-read list next to my bed, as of right now:

- Hyperspace (Michio Kaku)
- Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea (Charles Seife)
- The Blind Watchmaker (Richard Dawkins)
- The Lucifer Effect (Philip Zimbardo)

Oh... a lot actually. But I really have to be in a reading "phase" to get going.

I still have 2 books from The looking Glass wars by Frank Beddor to read. Some books by Dawkins... and I'm actually quite wary on translations, so I would want to read the books by Asimov in Russian, but that's something along the linses of "whenever"

Oh... a lot actually. But I really have to be in a reading "phase" to get going.

I still have 2 books from The looking Glass wars by Frank Beddor to read. Some books by Dawkins... and I'm actually quite wary on translations, so I would want to read the books by Asimov in Russian, but that's something along the linses of "whenever"

Which Dawkins books? just curious, I <3 Richard Dawkins...
I have God Delusion, Selfish Gene, Greatest Show on Earth.
Thinking about getting Unweaving the Rainbow soon.

Which Dawkins books? just curious, I <3 Richard Dawkins...
I have God Delusion, Selfish Gene, Greatest Show on Earth.
Thinking about getting Unweaving the Rainbow soon.

The God Delusion & Greatest Show on Earth

I'll see if I can get those other ones... that is, if I ever get to reading those 2 (and I liked them).

That's a lot of books, Aillas :)
Reading this one:
413%2BvOT3T9L.jpg

started this one, not sure if I'm going to finish it or not...

Return-of-the-Native.jpg

plus a few more books that I would like to get back to...

I have a whole shelf dedicated to Ayn Rand that I am working through. Also, have books shelves of Philosophy Books to read. Working on Ayn Rand return to the primative now. But open to try other genres. At least there are more books availble than I can read in a lifetime. And the picture above give me some great ideas. I also have several of Richard Dawkins I am working through. It is all good.
Bill

I have a way too big list of epub & pdf files I have to go through. So my virtual bookshelf is quite big. Due to a lot of stress in my personal situation I can't really get myself to read that much and I pretty much only read when I'm in the train travelling to/from my girlfriend (which is about a 2,5 to 3 hour trip)... but since I'm not going there a lot (because she prefers being at my place, then us being at hers) I don't get to read that much recently. I hope that's changing soon.

I want to read every Stephen King/Richard Bachmann Novel.
I want to read all of the Game of Thrones series (because I haven't even gotten them yet).
I want to read all of the Chronicles of Narnia someday not just the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe.

I want to read every Stephen King/Richard Bachmann Novel.
I want to read all of the Game of Thrones series (because I haven't even gotten them yet).
I want to read all of the Chronicles of Narnia someday not just the Lion Witch and the Wardrobe.

That "Game of Thrones" series you're referring to is actually called A Song of Ice and Fire. The first book in that series is called A Game of Thrones.

I want to read that too. I bought hardcover editions of the first three books in that series last year, but only read a bit of A Game of Thrones and put it down. I just have to wait until I'm ambitious enough to read such a long-ass series. :p

Scary but true: The third book in that series, A Storm of Swords, is about as long as Lord of the Rings. And that's just one bloody book in the series. :shocked:

Last edited:
That "Game of Thrones" series you're referring to is actually called A Song of Ice and Fire. The first book in that series is called A Game of Thrones.

I want to read that too. I bought hardcover editions of the first three books in that series last year, but only read a bit of A Game of Thrones and put it down. I just have to wait until I'm ambitious enough to read such a long-ass series. :p

Scary but true: The third book in that series, A Storm of Swords, is about as long as Lord of the Rings. And that's just one bloody book in the series. :shocked:
Well regardless of what its called I still want to read it. I think I new that about that I just had looked his stuff before and had other books that i was obsessed with so I passed it over. Eh long books don't scare me. I have read the first three books of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and they are all huge.

I'm a little obsessed with The Chronicles of Narnia, and C.S. Lewis too. He believed that a book for children is no good unless it is interesting to adults also. I read the whole seriese aloud to my kids in a matter of months- my 7 and 6 year olds were captivated and asked for it constantly. My four year old likes The Hobbit" better, and that is what we are reading together now. So worth it!

As to what I want to read, everything by George McDonald. I already read his Phantastes and Lillith, and they were spectacular. I even have a book C.S. Lewis compiled of his favorite McDonald quotes. Lewis calls McDonald his "master." And writes of meeting him near Heaven in his own fictional (and sort of alligorical) work, "The Great Divorce," which I also love. Even my husband loved listening to it on audio. He's not much of a reader.

New Threads

Top Bottom