• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your personal role models

Propianotuner

V.I.P Member
This is a thread about people you feel you've been very fortunate to know. Who have you looked up to? What kinds of things have you learned from them?

I'm sure I've been more than a little fortunate in this area. I have known people who are/were awesome role models and am grateful they've been able to enrich my life. Here are just a few of them:

My Papa, i.e. my maternal grandfather (you'll have to forgive me in advance, this is the only long one; feel free to just skim or make your own post)-

He's one of the most peculiar and thoughtful people I know, someone whom I've had numerous intellectual discussions with and has influenced me to try and exercise self skepticism. As it turns out he and I have talked lots of times about the autism spectrum and he's sure he's on it as well, has never been diagnosed by psychologists performing a test like ADOS as was the case with me, but fits the diagnostic criteria very well. In spite of the difficulties that have come along with him being a 78 year old man with ASD, he's a stoic person and has come out on the better end of intense hardships.

As a boy born in 1940 he lived in a literal tar paper shack, and was malnourished much of the time growing up (in fact he left school during certain times to pick cotton in order to support the family, one spring and summer doing this at the age of 10). His good for nothing alcoholic and abusive father left him and his family, and a succession of similarly terrible men came into his life until my great grandfather Bill Posey did his part to salvage the rest of his childhood. There are many horrific, violent, and scary things that happened which I'm not entirely privy to as he'll likely take some things to his grave without telling Nana about them; one thing that I know about which stands out is when the KKK burnt a cross on his uncle's front porch.

The reason that I mention all of these things about his history is how tremendous of a person he's become. He's been a modest philanthropist for over 50 years, he and my grandmother regularly took unfortunate people around them into their home while my mother was growing up (so we're basically talking about just asking people of all different backgrounds and ages "would you like to come and live with us"), he has always been active in feeding and advocating for the poor people living around him, and the ways he's displayed his work ethic throughout his life are so impressive that the related advice he's given me has always stuck with me.

As an employee of a lumber mill in Oregon he had severe ulcers on two occasions and actually continued to pull chain all day while periodically puking into a bucket. When I heard from others about this and asked him, he explained to me that pain is something that everyone has to come face to face with in their lives, and when it comes his way it's not always possible to but if he can he says "hello mr. pain, you're not going to tell me what to think today". In many ways my grandfather has effectively been my primary father figure and there were a couple of years that I lived with him growing up.

Benjamin Jatun (deceased)-

Uncle Benny is my grandfather's cousin but it has always been as customary to call him an uncle as it is customary to use Portuguese instead of English in calling my grandfather Papa. This is so because once Benny was 16 he moved in with my grandfather's family after having been homeless for an extended time period, the length of which I'm actually unaware of. He was illiterate at that time and had next to no education. From that point on he proceeded to develop into the closest brother my grandfather had. By the time I knew him Benny had become one of the most successful people in the town of Manteca, California, and was prospering from the land he owned around Escalon on which he pastured his cattle.

Benny was always a curious person, excited to learn about things, and exemplary in his efforts to improve his lot in life financially and intellectually. He also was very active in the community and became an astounding participant of hunger drives in retirement, often treating such efforts like full time jobs and more than once taking me with him to drive around town randomly handing out food in the most impoverished areas. Benny also was the town's Santa Claus and more than that came to be considered the epitome of Santa Claus for multiple generations in the whole California valley, even garnering attention from people out of state. This is because Benny built his own shack and was known for arranging things with families to design personalized experiences, so that people could take idyllic pictures of their children with him in which the children were visibly excited and happy.

Neil Goodman (deceased)-

If you thought these other people take the cake, along comes Neil. My grandfather met him while just starting one of the many careers my grandfather would have, working as a schoolteacher. Neil was another, older teacher of the previous generation who was exceptionally good with kids and a magnetically warm person. It would take a long time to list his philanthropic activities so I'll spare your time, but he also happened to foster and adopt 13 different kids of all ages.

His whole life people around him and people in his own home took advantage of his good will and he unflinchingly continued to enrich the lives of others. Everyone has their own personal ideas of what love really is and I can assure you that Neil figures into how I understand that subject, Neil was as conscientious and self sacrificial a person as I've known.

I don't have role models. It's not that I don't have positive influences in my life. There are plenty of people I admire, but none I admire so much I've seen them as a role model. I've always taken bits and pieces of what I like about people and added them to a list of "things I appreciate about people" while finding my own way in life.

Archimedes. His ability to apply existing concepts to make new discoveries in Mathematics, then apply them in Engineering makes me squee.

The way he interprets the world and universe through its sheer mathematical and mechanical beauty taught me at a very young age that to understand something is, for me, the ultimate expression of living a full life.

To be honest seeing the universe through this lens brings tears to my eyes.

I've had so many people who have shaped me in significant ways that I can't begin to list them all. I don't think it would fit in a forum post. I've had people who were around for years who were like mentors to me, and people who I was just fortunate to know. I actually tried to list them, but an hour's worth of typing later I realized I hadn't even reached adulthood with my role models/influential people.

My Homie Kull of course!

-kull-the-conqueror.jpg

A role model ? I do not know. I guess it would be my parents. Their influence made me the way that I am, for better or for worse. I was lucky enough to have grown up in a very good family setting.

I don't have role models. It's not that I don't have positive influences in my life. There are plenty of people I admire, but none I admire so much I've seen them as a role model. I've always taken bits and pieces of what I like about people and added them to a list of "things I appreciate about people" while finding my own way in life.
This. The people I have in my life are a mixture of character traits, both flaws and assets, so I take and adopt from people what is worth emulating, without having one specific person I admire.

Many people have had a profound influence on my life, but whether I admire them or not is a different question. I would say that I don't admire people so much as the good deeds that they do.

I don't remember ever having had a role model. I certainly don't have one now. When I was little, all the people I admired and wished to emulate were characters in books: Tarzan, Mowgli, the Invisible Man... People who were lonely, poor and/or socially awkward, but somehow rose above society and its petty values.

I'm taking a drawing class because "why not", and one guy I'd love to have a pint with is Otto Dix. I feel like his art is "honest", for the lack of a better word.

A role model? - No one.

IMO, cosmically speaking we all have to live our own lives as they pan out. Living them based on the lives of others seems unrealistic. We can admire people in many ways, but that doesn't mean we can or even should attempt to emulate them. Just be yourself and try the best you can to succeed on your own terms and in your own way.

Weirdly, all my role models are dead (not my doing). I don't have generic role models, but people I respect in specific areas. For example, there are a few classical artists that I think are utterly brilliant: Caravaggio, Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Lawrence Alma Tadema, William Bougereau... I am in awe of their skill and have tried to learn from them.

I love people who are really passionate and driven with their work. I was fascinated with Beethoven as a child, as I could feel all the different emotions in his music. Normally I just see shapes and textures when I listen to sound, but his music is incredibly emotional. He put layers of himself onto his work. I love that.

Tesla is another brilliant man that I have a huge amount of respect for. I'm glad that the world is starting to realise his genius, although I expect the big oil companies will keep trying to surpress his work.

Edit: I had to come back and add to this, as I realised that very recently my own mother has become a 'sort of' role model. Out of nowhere she suddenly decided to go back to college and take GCSE Maths (she had a near phobia of numbers), lose several stone in weight that she put on after having three kids, and learn how to use computers (past turning it on and off). She's always been very much a 1950s style housewife figure, so I have no idea what's convinced her to change. Perhaps the idea of my father not being around to take care of her has shocked her into re-evaluating things (we've had several older family friends die in recent years). We've always been very much opposites in terms of personality, skills and interests, so it's nice to have her ask about the markets or strength training exercises out of the blue! But I respect her for setting pretty difficult (for her) goals and sticking to them.

Last edited:
I have a few fictional and a few real ones.
Gregory House
Tyra Banks
PushingUpRoses (Youtuber)
Clarice Starling
Cinderella (after her prince)
Tiana (after her prince)
Jessie (Toy Story)
Pooh
Noa Avoir (radio personality)
Oprah Winfrey
Nikki Minaj
Britney Spears
Lara Croft
Max Caufeild (actually, I am the embodiment of Max Caufeild)
Yang Xiao Long
Ana Kasparian (Radio personality)
Grace Baldridge (Radio personality)

I have a weird bunch.

This is a thread about people you feel you've been very fortunate to know. Who have you looked up to? What kinds of things have you learned from them?

I'm sure I've been more than a little fortunate in this area. I have known people who are/were awesome role models and am grateful they've been able to enrich my life. Here are just a few of them:

My Papa, i.e. my maternal grandfather (you'll have to forgive me in advance, this is the only long one; feel free to just skim or make your own post)-

He's one of the most peculiar and thoughtful people I know, someone whom I've had numerous intellectual discussions with and has influenced me to try and exercise self skepticism. As it turns out he and I have talked lots of times about the autism spectrum and he's sure he's on it as well, has never been diagnosed by psychologists performing a test like ADOS as was the case with me, but fits the diagnostic criteria very well. In spite of the difficulties that have come along with him being a 78 year old man with ASD, he's a stoic person and has come out on the better end of intense hardships.

As a boy born in 1940 he lived in a literal tar paper shack, and was malnourished much of the time growing up (in fact he left school during certain times to pick cotton in order to support the family, one spring and summer doing this at the age of 10). His good for nothing alcoholic and abusive father left him and his family, and a succession of similarly terrible men came into his life until my great grandfather Bill Posey did his part to salvage the rest of his childhood. There are many horrific, violent, and scary things that happened which I'm not entirely privy to as he'll likely take some things to his grave without telling Nana about them; one thing that I know about which stands out is when the KKK burnt a cross on his uncle's front porch.

The reason that I mention all of these things about his history is how tremendous of a person he's become. He's been a modest philanthropist for over 50 years, he and my grandmother regularly took unfortunate people around them into their home while my mother was growing up (so we're basically talking about just asking people of all different backgrounds and ages "would you like to come and live with us"), he has always been active in feeding and advocating for the poor people living around him, and the ways he's displayed his work ethic throughout his life are so impressive that the related advice he's given me has always stuck with me.

As an employee of a lumber mill in Oregon he had severe ulcers on two occasions and actually continued to pull chain all day while periodically puking into a bucket. When I heard from others about this and asked him, he explained to me that pain is something that everyone has to come face to face with in their lives, and when it comes his way it's not always possible to but if he can he says "hello mr. pain, you're not going to tell me what to think today". In many ways my grandfather has effectively been my primary father figure and there were a couple of years that I lived with him growing up.

Benjamin Jatun (deceased)-

Uncle Benny is my grandfather's cousin but it has always been as customary to call him an uncle as it is customary to use Portuguese instead of English in calling my grandfather Papa. This is so because once Benny was 16 he moved in with my grandfather's family after having been homeless for an extended time period, the length of which I'm actually unaware of. He was illiterate at that time and had next to no education. From that point on he proceeded to develop into the closest brother my grandfather had. By the time I knew him Benny had become one of the most successful people in the town of Manteca, California, and was prospering from the land he owned around Escalon on which he pastured his cattle.

Benny was always a curious person, excited to learn about things, and exemplary in his efforts to improve his lot in life financially and intellectually. He also was very active in the community and became an astounding participant of hunger drives in retirement, often treating such efforts like full time jobs and more than once taking me with him to drive around town randomly handing out food in the most impoverished areas. Benny also was the town's Santa Claus and more than that came to be considered the epitome of Santa Claus for multiple generations in the whole California valley, even garnering attention from people out of state. This is because Benny built his own shack and was known for arranging things with families to design personalized experiences, so that people could take idyllic pictures of their children with him in which the children were visibly excited and happy.

Neil Goodman (deceased)-

If you thought these other people take the cake, along comes Neil. My grandfather met him while just starting one of the many careers my grandfather would have, working as a schoolteacher. Neil was another, older teacher of the previous generation who was exceptionally good with kids and a magnetically warm person. It would take a long time to list his philanthropic activities so I'll spare your time, but he also happened to foster and adopt 13 different kids of all ages.

His whole life people around him and people in his own home took advantage of his good will and he unflinchingly continued to enrich the lives of others. Everyone has their own personal ideas of what love really is and I can assure you that Neil figures into how I understand that subject, Neil was as conscientious and self sacrificial a person as I've known.
I don't have any role models per say, but I do have three people I'm very grateful to know.
1. Ella (only using first names)
She is very accepting of me, and I don't need to wear my mask around her. She is always there for me and if I need to talk to someone Ella is the one I fall on.
2. Abby
If I am scared because of a lot of noise in a room, Abby will help me out. I can just say to her, "I'm getting really/somewhat/kind of/extremely/etcetera freaked out." And she'll help me. She'll leave the situation with me or help me through it. And she never pressures me to do anything that I feel is past my limit, ever. And I can text/call her and say I'm nervous for something, and she will help me through it.
3.Stephanie
She's so much fun. And she can relate to me, as she has three learning disabilities. She will tell anyone who teases me about Asoergers to " SHOVE IT UP THEIR ASS"
Note: These people are not listed in order of importance to me. They are all equal.

New Threads

Top Bottom