• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your first job

My first job was teaching tenis (a sport I've performed since 3). It wasn't difficult because I feel comfortable talking about things I know for sure are right. But I use a lot of technical words that arouse some debate.

I'm torn which job was officially my first. When I was 15, my grandparents let me work at their income tax office making some copies and filing stuff (which I've gone back to every year and will likely own within the next few years). A few months after that, I got a job at a local grocery store as a cashier and stocker. And quit a few months later because apparently "homeschooled" means "available any time", and they kept scheduling me to work mornings during the only time I could do my school work at home. They put me so far behind, I just gave up, took the ACT and passed my group's ACT score requirements, and graduated a year early because it would have been pretty hard to catch back up with my work. My manager did try to schedule me on nights right quick when I told her I'd had enough, but it wasn't a good enough bribe to get me to stay. I don't know why businesses think they own you, but they can be pretty inconsiderate, and you don't want to piss off the only employee that comes to work on time, works hard, and never calls in sick.

The first work I did for pay was to pull dandelions from the yard when I was a child.
My father told me he would pay me to do that.
I pulled the dandelions and he paid me.

The girls next door got excited and pulled dandelions from their yard and presented them
to their parents. They got nothing.
Having a contract is advisable.

My first job, which I'm still in now and only got about a year ago, is Retail and Hostess at Cracker Barrel. I hate it. I want to quit, but no other job will hire me. I've been declined by every single job I applied for except for Cracker Barrel.

Kentucky Fried Chicken at 14, and got fired after one month for being 'too slow'.

Coles New World a few weeks later, weighing fruits and veggies. For the first time, I was grateful for being rubbish at maths, because passing the maths test would have meant I'd be a check-out chick, standing for hours in one spot. I like to move around. That lasted for five years, under a bully of a supervisor.

Technically, I guess it was collecting rocks. My father wanted rocks/gravel for something and he paid me 5 cents for every helmet full of rocks I collected. Maybe it was for the stew. Whenever we complained about something at dinner he would always say we didn't know what hard was, and that as a child, all he had to eat sometimes was rocks.

If you count paid intern as a job, then a systems developer intern is what my first job was. If you count unpaid internships, then I was an investment management intern.

My first salaried job is a software technician (or associate systems developer). I basically sit in a cubicle and code for eight hours a day but sometimes the work is too much and spills over into after hours and the weekends.

My first job was a dishwasher at a small cafe where my mom worked. The cafe went out of business in 2010 and the building was torn down in 2013.

My mom got me my first job when I was 16 working for her friend's small-scale, gourmet tea company. I sorted, labeled, and filled tea tins, and my favorite part, I did quality control for their tea chocolates. They were their version of Frangos infused with their teas. If the chocolate wasn't perfect, I got to eat it [emoji39]

My first job was working in one of the worst school districts in PA. Not a good way to start off as inexperienced as I was with my personality type. Family pressure to do it, and it was assumed it would be easy to them. . . Ugh!

My first job was when I was 7 years old on the neighbouring farm. I hard to walk up and down the wheat field and pull out the wild oats. I worked with my brother and sister and a couple of local kids who made fun of me because I was afraid of thunderstorms.

My mom got me my first job when I was 16 working for her friend's small-scale, gourmet tea company. I sorted, labeled, and filled tea tins, and my favorite part, I did quality control for their tea chocolates. They were their version of Frangos infused with their teas. If the chocolate wasn't perfect, I got to eat it [emoji39]
Did your standard of "perfect" change depending on how hungry you were or how bad your stomachache was?

Aged around ten years: Number-running with exit poll results in the national election, from my school which was the local voting station, to the local committee rooms for counting. My brother & I did this for a couple of elections & used to get paid:)

My first real job that I paid taxes on was for a non-profit that work with disabled people and, to put it simply and vaguely, they were always steps away from being sued for civil rights violations. It was very poorly ran and none of the staff were educated or trained to handle their jobs.

I got the hell out of dodge after they cut my hours, so the manager could hire his friend. It was a really screwed up place, filled with very immature and delusional people. Suffice to say it had a very high turnover rate.

First job; Picking up dog crap at a vet. I've since moved on from the Animal industry.

It was one of the most confronting experiences I can ever remember, but I was so determined to force myself in to it.

As an aside, I can do one better. Fatality at my home train station (Suburban Sydney; travelling by train is routine) - Not quite cleaned up by the time I got back from my day.

The first work I did for pay was to pull dandelions from the yard when I was a child.
My father told me he would pay me to do that.
I pulled the dandelions and he paid me.

The girls next door got excited and pulled dandelions from their yard and presented them
to their parents. They got nothing.
Having a contract is advisable.
My first job was weeding brush for my Grandmother, now after all these years struggling through college and unraveling the entire universe...guess what I still do to get pocket money!:confused:
Life is stupid!...o_O

Last edited:
My first job was as a shop assistant in an Oxfam Charity shop from May to September 1995, it was voluntary (although I was getting paid £35 a week Dole for the "Privelige", some might say that volunteering isn't by definition, a job, but work is work IMO.

Sorry, but I can't spell the word "privelidge", not in the American way anyway.

I have a rule. If anyone makes a mistake with a word, spelling or spoken, that then becomes the new word. It is the used in future.
So in our house language is starting to drift off a bit with all the mistakes we've made.
I like the rule though :) would love it if other people agreed to take it up...

New Threads

Top Bottom