• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

You get to change one very specific, mundane and small aspect of the world to make it better.

Sylas

If I was given such magical ability, I would make it so everyone would be compelled to and have to fully read every single article, news or otherwise, that they may want to comment on.

End world hunger. We, adults in the first world really need to care more about how babies in the third world are dying every day of hunger and thirst. Their mothers have to feed them clay to make the hunger pangs go away.

And we need to not only care about it, we need to cultivate an unquenchable drive within each of us to want to do something about it.

Well, gosh, y'all sound like beauty pagent contestants! :p

I think I would get rid of the need for competativeness

If people aren't competative, maybe they would be helpful? If there is no competition for resources people would share. If there is no competativeness, there would be no power grab, thus no war.

Most of the above posts are not small or mundane lol but I like them.

I would remove the existence of petrochemicals.

I would eliminate the amygdala,...or at the very least, make it significantly smaller and only active when there is truly an immediate, life-threatening situation. This ancient "hold over" from our prehistoric past may have been useful,...but it influences everything from anxieties, fears, PTSD, aggression, politics, racism, discrimination,...and a long list of other socially destructive behaviors and thoughts.

I would eliminate the amygdala,...or at the very least, make it significantly smaller and only active when there is truly an immediate, life-threatening situation. This ancient "hold over" from our prehistoric past may have been useful,...but it influences everything from anxieties, fears, PTSD, aggression, politics, racism, discrimination,...and a long list of other socially destructive behaviors and thoughts.
Someone once told me that I "click" my amygdala to turn it off.
This was so weird. Basically we got into a meditative state and concentrated on feeling the amygdala just like any other organ. That seemed pretty easy to do. Once you felt the thing you simply imagine it flexing forward until you feel a "click".
Supposedly this turns off your amygdala.

I don't know that the exercise actually accomplished much. But to this day I feel like I can wiggle that organ. Probably just the power of suggestion but who knows!

My son & I have had some interesting discussions on this one. I agree with you. He differs, saying the amygdala keep humans less harsh than we/they would be sans amygdalae. (sp?)

Perhaps making them smaller would be the answer.

Someone once told me that I "click" my amygdala to turn it off.
This was so weird. Basically we got into a meditative state and concentrated on feeling the amygdala just like any other organ. That seemed pretty easy to do. Once you felt the thing you simply imagine it flexing forward until you feel a "click".
Supposedly this turns off your amygdala.

I don't know that the exercise actually accomplished much. But to this day I feel like I can wiggle that organ. Probably just the power of suggestion but who knows!

I am not convinced it turns it OFF, but it certainly minimizes the influence on thoughts and behaviors. In my experience with the nearly uncountable life-threatening situations I have been a part of,...it has become just a part of what I do,...pause,...take that cleansing breath,...focus,...and do what you've been trained to do without emotion. When people start rushing around and their voice volume goes up,...bad things happen. I often refer to my students and say, "Before you walk in that room,..."click" that imaginary switch in your brain,...turn the emotions OFF,...then do your job. If, for even a second, you loose your composure,...you loose your focus,...that's when stupid mistakes happen."

Emotions cloud the brain,...and especially fear.

My son & I have had some interesting discussions on this one. I agree with you. He differs, saying the amygdala keep humans less harsh than we/they would be sans amygdalae. (sp?)

Perhaps making them smaller would be the answer.

I think without an amygdala,...we would act like the "logical" Vulcans from Star Trek, I believe. If that is "harsh", then,...that would be OK with me.

I would ban all chemical fragrances across the board. No more chemical fragrances in air fresheners, candles, dryer sheets, laundry detergent, perfume, cologne, hair care just to name a few. The world actually would be a better place if that happened. Think of all that goes into the manufacture of artificial fragrance and the needlessness of it all let alone the damage they cause.

I am not convinced it turns it OFF, but it certainly minimizes the influence on thoughts and behaviors. In my experience with the nearly uncountable life-threatening situations I have been a part of,...it has become just a part of what I do,...pause,...take that cleansing breath,...focus,...and do what you've been trained to do without emotion. When people start rushing around and their voice volume goes up,...bad things happen. I often refer to my students and say, "Before you walk in that room,..."click" that imaginary switch in your brain,...turn the emotions OFF,...then do your job. If, for even a second, you loose your composure,...you loose your focus,...that's when stupid mistakes happen."

Emotions cloud the brain,...and especially fear.

I was not talking about controlling the amygdala in a metaphorical sense. I mean learning to feel it just as you do your heart, lungs or stomach.
I culd actually feel it wiggle. But the man who taught me this was not trust worthy and I am gullible. So who knows?

Without the amygdala I think people would be uninhibited and do dumb stuff like catapult themselves to cross the Grand Canyon. A little fear is a good thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom