• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"You are facial expression genius"

Your score?

• 0-2

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 3-4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-6

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • 7-8

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • 9-10

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
6/10. That test was more than a little ridiculous though.

I love how one of the answers for the last one was "impaled on a spike" LOL!

8/10, as well.

BUT,...as an educator that designs tests for my students,...it is a multiple choice test. The answers are there in front of you. As far as test design, this is the easiest for the student.

Had this been an oral test or a fill-in-the-blank test,...a test where the answers were not there and the test taker had to come up with the answer on their own,...that would be more reflective of reality,...and it would be very unlikely that I would have done as well. Furthermore, the test design allows the tester to sit and stare at that facial expression for a long period of time,...in real life,...those same facial expressions are held for a split second. As an autistic,...I don't process that kind of information in a microsecond.

I have taken the Cambridge "Eyes Test" and scored well,...same thing. I know how to test take, so I would do better than had I taken the same test orally and had to come up with a feeling for each image on my own. As an autistic, this is the reality,...we have to interpret all the body language, tone of voice, and facial microexpressions in a split second and then react to it appropriately. Most of us are not good at it, regardless of what seems like a great test score.

I wouldn't look too much into the test results of a multiple choice test and come up with any conclusions other than an ability to take a test and a vague knowledge of the content.

Last edited:
8/10, as well.

BUT,...as an educator that designs tests for my students,...it is a multiple choice test. The answers are there in front of you. As far as test design, this is the easiest for the student.

Had this been an oral test or a fill-in-the-blank test,...a test where the answers were not there and the test taker had to come up with the answer on their own,...that would be more reflective of reality,...and it would be very unlikely that I would have done as well. Furthermore, the test design allows the tester to sit and stare at that facial expression for a long period of time,...in real life,...those same facial expressions are held for a split second. As an autistic,...I don't process that kind of information in a microsecond.

I have taken the Cambridge "Eyes Test" and scored well,...same thing. I know how to test take, so I would do better than had I taken the same test orally and had to come up with a feeling for each image on my own. As an autistic, this is the reality,...we have to interpret all the body language, tone of voice, and facial microexpressions in a split second and then react to it appropriately. Most of us are not good at it, regardless of what seems like a great test score.

I wouldn't look too much into the test results of a multiple choice test and come up with any conclusions other than an ability to take a test and a vague knowledge of the content.

You just nailed why I hate these tests - they're not at all reflective of reality. In the "eyes test" you mentioned, the first thing that crosses my mind when I see the image is usually not actually one of the available answers. I would totally bomb that test if it weren't multiple choice.

I've passed multiple choice tests with flying colors and very little knowledge of the subject matter. Multiple choice tests are terrible as far as I'm concerned. They let "good test takers" like myself skate by with no real knowledge and there are a lot of fields where that's a spectacularly bad idea.

I got 8/10 too, but that's more a reflection on my ability to eliminate any wrong answers and distractors from the choices to find the right answer, than an actually ability to read facial expressions. Together with a bit of luck because I guessed a couple of them and got them right. In real life, I'm not that good at reading faces.

Last edited:
Multiple choice tests are terrible as far as I'm concerned.
Why are then most national exams in my country multiple choice?
I don't process that kind of information in a microsecond.
Yes, also a problem for me. I'm usually a good test taker, for example I get straight A-s from maths tests where I have 90 minutes to solve 10 tasks and can think and process it for a long time. The areas where I find the slow processing most problematic are: playing team sports (and also some combative video games) and following films.

Croatia

Not much help becuase we still have essays to write from Croatian and English and it takes a month to get results.

Right or wrong, I believe the majority of testing in most industrialized nations is going towards a "standardized testing" system. With that, one is almost forced into this multiple choice format. Tests can be sent through a simple machine and results tabulated within a few minutes. It works great for obtaining large amounts of pooled data,...but in my opinion, doesn't really "test" knowledge to the extent that an essay, oral exam, or fill-in-the-blank format. As others have stated, it is more for ease in obtaining a quick turn around in the results,...but may not reflect the actual depth of knowledge of the material.

Right or wrong, I believe the majority of testing in most industrialized nations is going towards a "standardized testing" system. With that, one is almost forced into this multiple choice format. Tests can be sent through a simple machine and results tabulated within a few minutes. It works great for obtaining large amounts of pooled data,...but in my opinion, doesn't really "test" knowledge to the extent that an essay, oral exam, or fill-in-the-blank format. As others have stated, it is more for ease in obtaining a quick turn around in the results,...but may not reflect the actual depth of knowledge of the material.
I said that we write essays too, probably the reason is more in-depth knowledge testing. In croatian we have 80 multiple choice questions plus essay and in english reading and listening comprehesnion multiple choice questions plus argumentative essay.

8/10, though I gotta say it was trickier than the RMET test, even with the whole face to go on this time and not just the eyes. My score on the RMET (or eyes test, or whatever it gets called) was 29/36.

To be fair, "impaled on a spike" was a correct answer for the last one because everything from Hollywood taught me so, so me and the testmakers are just going to have to agree to disagree on that one.

I got a 9/10. It was relatively easy. I don't have any trouble seeing what someone is feeling but I do have a tough time knowing how to react in an appropriate manner.

I got 7/10. I don't know what would be typical of a neurotypical though. But I honestly could only guess a vague idea of these expressions. Honestly these expressions were so bizzare that I don't think they would ever happen in real life.

New Threads

Top Bottom