• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Writing an essay about ASD

There's a tremendous amount of outdated, badly written, misleading, and flat out wrong literature out there about ASD. (The logical follow-up to this, which you will probably have to spoon feed to them, is that they should generally assume their own ignorance on the subject.)

Some do, others, like me, have a photographic memory for faces.
Where do I buy that software upgrade? Does it display the correct name, too?

I have decided to write a detailed essay on ASD to possibly present and inform my therapy group with, but I need ideas, and points to touch on in this essay. If any of you could tell me something that neurotypicals NEED to know, or to inform them on. I would deeply appreciate some resources I could use, or stuff from personal experience you feel is important. :) <3

They need to know about themselves.

How their communication is social and unconscious to them
See below

There's a tremendous amount of outdated, badly written, misleading, and flat out wrong literature out there about ASD. (The logical follow-up to this, which you will probably have to spoon feed to them, is that they should generally assume their own ignorance on the subject.)

Where do I buy that software upgrade? Does it display the correct name, too?
This would be perfect to touch on in my first paragraph, because I want to start off by saying why it's important that neurotypicals are informed on autism. Because people often spread false or stigmatizing information, speaking for us, but without us. Thank you!

"Though there is many articles you could find about autism, some of them speak about us, without us. It is incredibly harmful to the autistic community, to speak on something you don’t personally experience, or aren’t completely educated on. Most literature about autism, is often misleading, stigmatizing, and outdated. Not every autistic person is the same. If you’ve met one autistic person, you’ve met ONE autistic person. When autistic people don’t fit the box that this false information and stigma has created, they aren’t perceived to be as valid."

First paragraph so far, have yet to edit and revise, but i would appreciate feedback :)

Oh, forgot one... If you have to prepare a meal for someone on the spectrum, please try to keep the elements segregated on the plate. Make a dam to hold back gravy or sauces if necessary.

Same for me. I can't remember names to save my life, but as it has been said 'never forget a face'.

It's interesting how it goes either one or the other way with no in-between. I'm much better with names than faces and it's easier for me to recognise someone by the sound of their voice since faces are like human-shaped blobs to me, unless they have a specific shape of their nose, a scar or really vivid eyes.

It's interesting how it goes either one or the other way with no in-between. I'm much better with names than faces and it's easier for me to recognise someone by the sound of their voice since faces are like human-shaped blobs to me, unless they have a specific shape of their nose, a scar or really vivid eyes.

Yes, that makes sense. I am also good at recognizing voices, like with vocalists. My failure with names astounds me sometimes. I have at times tried hard to memorize and remember them. But next time I see them... blank.

it's easier for me to recognise someone by the sound of their voice since faces are like human-shaped blobs to me, unless they have a specific shape of their nose, a scar or really vivid eyes.
I'm the same way , I look for distinguishing marks , haircuts , the way a person walks , their voice and whatever basically stands out about them . One time I was in a crowded restaurant in Manhattan , an audio nightmare if there ever was one , and I recognized my uncles voice over all the others . I walked around the floor and , sure enough , there he was dining with some friends .

Oh, forgot one... If you have to prepare a meal for someone on the spectrum, please try to keep the elements segregated on the plate. Make a dam to hold back gravy or sauces if necessary.
I like to make a volcano!

Sensory issues is a biggy.

Oh, yeah, and basically how pretty much all of us are socially awkward to some degree. Please help, IDK how to talk to new people I can't stop embarrassing myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom