• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Writing an essay about ASD

ephemerality

fairy gorl
I have decided to write a detailed essay on ASD to possibly present and inform my therapy group with, but I need ideas, and points to touch on in this essay. If any of you could tell me something that neurotypicals NEED to know, or to inform them on. I would deeply appreciate some resources I could use, or stuff from personal experience you feel is important. :) <3

EDIT: As this thread goes on, I would like to post my seperate paragraphs for feedback and more input <3

Last edited:
That some of us think that insects should have the same rights and legal protection as human beings, and that it should be enforceable up to and including the use of military force and that if it requires wiping out the entire human race, that is ok.

;)

Not being able to understand sarcasm. Sensitivity to plan changes and the need to know all about when your going, with who and what is happening.

That no two people with ASD are the same, but what we all have in common is that we process information, particularly social information, in a different way.

Last edited:
That screaming every single word at us to get a point across. Does not help us understand any better. And actually can overload our system.:oops:

Stop using phrases like ' I can't see the forest for the trees ' or ' Don't cut off your nose to spite your face ' , they mean nothing to us . We need simple , direct language otherwise we stare blankly at expressions like that and then go look them up in the Urban Dictionary . It would make more sense to say ' He can't see what is obvious to others ' or ' Don't respond to an offense in a way that is not in your best interest ' .

Stop using phrases like ' I can't see the forest for the trees ' or ' Don't cut off your nose to spite your face ' , they mean nothing to us . We need simple , direct language otherwise we stare blankly at expressions like that and then go look them up in the Urban Dictionary . It would make more sense to say ' He can't see what is obvious to others ' or ' Don't respond to an offense in a way that is not in your best interest ' .

Yeah. And things like 'the Poop is going to hit the fan' can give me a panic attack.

If I don't respond immediately, it doesn't mean I am not listening. I am processing what you said and will respond when I can.

It is possible that we can see what you believe you are keeping secret.

Facial expressions and body language rarely reflect what our mind or emotions are experiencing.

Being quiet doesn't mean we are unhappy.

Most of us have a pragmatic honesty and we use words to convey our messages - don't try to read between the lines or interpret voice tones. We tend to be naively blunt.

If we like you and we tell you that we like you, accept that as fact. Don't expect continuous fanfare and accolades.

Though we may be eager to accommodate, we also know when we are being used or abused. Most of us know what that is because we have experienced it a lot in life.

(feel free to qualify any of my statements in detail - we are still all individuals)

Reading your tone of voice, eye contact and body language may be difficult without intellectual analysis and examples of behaviour.

I may be quiet but it doesn't mean I'm sad or angry, it just means that I don't feel like hearing another additional voice among all the others or that I have nothing constructive to say (in fact, if I trust you, I may just be in my comfort bubble, letting your voices awash over me soothingly - let me enjoy it).

When you're anxious, you may play with your hair or bump your fingers on the edge of a chair. When I'm anxious, I may move my fingers, hands, legs or head in patterns you perceive as strange or disturbing. It's called stimming and is for me natural and soothing.

Last edited:
IMHO, since we all have different symptoms and comorbid conditions asking society to make special arrangements for every one of them is an unrealistic goal.
Asking to change terminology is a no win situation because no matter what you call something there will be someone who is offended.
What I would ask is if you see me going into overload and taking myself out of a situation please leave me alone.

What they need to be told:
The autism spectrum is called that for a reason. It is not a scale. If it was, it would be called the autism scale, not the autism spectrum.

Speculate on why this is so hard for some NTs to accept, even though it's so obvious. :rolleyes:

Just draw a picture of a cat with a dog's tail, a horse's legs, a rabbit's ears, a cow's utters and an otter's snout and make it say "Meowrfooheheheheeeenk" and write "WHAT I THINK MY BRAIN LOOKS LIKE" underneath it. That will tell them everything.

Just because you don't understand us, doesn't give you the right to treat us differently or with less respect or dignity. You have no right to invade my sensory system or body space with your rudeness. You need to understand, l dont want your pity or disregard.

Last edited:
We lack facial recognition software and have to remember people through context . For instance , when I see my accountant in his office , him dressed as a casual professional , I have no problem recognizing him . However , if I were to see him outside dressed in a jogging outfit , I would have no idea who he was . Another example is the time I ran into a new neighbor at the market who made a comment about the size of my dogs paws . My response was generic because I didn't recognize who it was . The reason that I couldn't tell who it was is that the way I ' remembered ' her was by her very straight shoulder length hair but on that day she had it in a ponytail and I had no idea who it was . She then mentioned my dog by name and I knew it was someone who knew me so I looked again and eventually figured out who she was . We tend to have a little ' lag time ' because of this type of thing , it makes us appear slow but the reality is that we are processing a ton of information just to keep up with the conversation . It seems that most NT's can recognize people easily , pick up on colloquialisms , follow the ' banter ' of everyday conversation but we can't .
PS I hope that you publish your essay here for us to read .

New Threads

Top Bottom