• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

would you want to be rich?

I have never sought wealth. That was never a priority for me. I found many things more important such as being available to be a mom to my son while he was growing up. Taking jobs that made it easier for me to be available to him when he got off school. There were many jobs I could have taken that would pay me much more money than the jobs I took. But now looking back I do wonder if I made the right choices. I am 63 and unable to work since my autistic burnout 12 years ago. I keep thinking if I would have made better choices when I was younger and actually pursued financial freedom then I would be so much happier today.

I don't know how you would define rich, but I have a lot of anxiety over financial matters and I would like to have enough money so as not to have this anxiety. But I have no desire to have expensive cars, houses, luxury hotels etc. If I had a lot of money I would live an ordinary life, but I'm not greedy for more than I really need.

If I was rich I would not live in a mansion nor have lots of material status symbols -- I don't see the point, and I think a lot of fancy things are ugly and/or pointless. I might hire a support worker or two for myself, or I might not.

It would be nice to have the financial security and not constantly worry about money, though.

I would love to be rich. I would invest the money and hire a financial manager and let the money grow. This would give me security from being homeless or hungry.
I would live in a safe house with a huge lot full of trees and birds.
I would hire someone to come in once a day to help me with meals and cleaning and maybe play cards with me.
:sob:

Like most of people here, I want to be rich so I wouldn't have to worry about money. But I wouldn't change much. I would still keep all my jobs, I don't know if I'd travel because of anxiety, and there isn't any material thing I want except to live on my own in a small place somewhere safe, which would be almost completely empty because I don't like to own lots of things. I just feel better when there's less. I periodically throw things away because of this. And I don't like money, so I'd love to just never look at it or deal with it in any way!

Access to the best healthcare...
Purely organic diet feasable...
Funding for projects and work...
An easy way to help others via donations...

Yes i would accept being rich.

This thread is going vague.
Yes, I think pretty much every functioning human would want to be rich. A really rich lifestyle especially from childhood could IMO prevent a good amount of proper experience.

I don't see happiness in the boasting rich lifestyle, and there are rich people who actually also are like that. Though certainly I am often limited by the fact that what I need is often just not what's availible.

Probably a good way to blow truly excess money for me would be tinkering, experimenting or supporting things I believe in. If I had lots of excess free time I already started doing things like that

As a conclusion, sounds like it would mean different difficulties while trying to not stagnate

Last edited:
Yes, but only because I'm the kind of person to worry about money at times; and honestly, one of my biggest fears in life is becoming homeless, and being rich would help with that not happening, because I'd be able to buy groceries (can get expensive, for example my parents would buy ~ $150 to $200 or so worth of stuff at Costco), pay the bills, buy insurances, etc. etc.

No! That would be too much drudgery, trying to keep people from taking the money and the upkeep on the digs would be very stressful and unpleasant. I have way too many telemarketers harassing day and night. I certainly don't need more people trying to sell me things and scamming and stealing. All those false friends popping out of the woodwork to mooch off of me. Ugh! Just more trouble than it's worth. I can't think of anything I don't already have or would want that having a lot of money would provide for me.

I could hire people to deal with people who annoy me but then I would have to spend all my time bossing them around. I would be much happier if I simply had the income streams that I already earned back from the criminals who stole them from me. That would be plenty for me to live the simple lifestyle I love. And I'd like my health back but adequate healthcare is nonexistant at any price. I'd also like to have back some of the other good things in life that don't exist anymore, like my favorite TV shows and menu selections and reliable vehicles and quality products and services and my special cat Zachary, etc.

Well Id like to have enought to be comfortable and away from need, but other than that, I dont like too expensive stuff.

But having a reasonable house and eat healthy is expensive so I'd consider myself rich if I had that.
The only luxury I want is maybe a good computer and the ability to travel.

That's already a lot IMO.

No! That would be too much drudgery, trying to keep people from taking the money and the upkeep on the digs would be very stressful and unpleasant. I have way too many telemarketers harassing day and night. I certainly don't need more people trying to sell me things and scamming and stealing. All those false friends popping out of the woodwork to mooch off of me. Ugh! Just more trouble than it's worth. I can't think of anything I don't already have or would want that having a lot of money would provide for me.

I could hire people to deal with people who annoy me but then I would have to spend all my time bossing them around. I would be much happier if I simply had the income streams that I already earned back from the criminals who stole them from me. That would be plenty for me to live the simple lifestyle I love. And I'd like my health back but adequate healthcare is nonexistant at any price. I'd also like to have back some of the other good things in life that don't exist anymore, like my favorite TV shows and menu selections and reliable vehicles and quality products and services and my special cat Zachary, etc.

That stuff really doesnt happen, to be honest. I mean, I'm sure there are some cases where it does, but... for the most part, nobody actually tries to sell you more stuff based on how much you have. I mean, firstly, how would they know? Someone trying to sell you something would be trying to sell anyone something, really. It's just what they do. It's part of the job.

It's the same with false friends. The thing about friendship is that it's either real, or fake, from the very beginning. A friend who turned out later to not be one, would eventually do the same even if you didnt have the wealth. A true friend remains one regardless. I have very few friends, but that's because I dont accept those silly "fake" friendships that so many people get into (I seriously dont understand why many do that). The most anyone ever asks me for is a car ride to wherever, and that's because for the longest time, my closest friend just plain didnt have a car (couldnt drive) and needed rides to work, and if his family wasnt around at the time, that meant me doing it. And he knows I have the free time. But I had zero problem with that. And now he DOES finally have his own car. And I dont exactly hide my living situation from friends. They've seen the house and they know what it means. But to them, it isnt important. That's what real friendship is, after all. The trick of course is finding friends like that. Which has nothing at all to do with money. This is another thing that so many dont seem to realize.

Now as for upkeep, well... here's the thing about wealth of any level: Just because you have it, doesnt mean you need a house the size of Texas. It really doesnt. If you dont have a practical use for all that space... why get it? I think some people do it as a status symbol, simple as that, but dont realize the work that will later go into it. While others really can find a use even for massive amounts of space. Making good practical decisions based on your own unique situation is important no matter how much you have... it's just that alot of people dont.

As for telemarketers specifically... that one confuses me a bit. Dont pretty much all phones have caller ID now? If that's the case, just looking at the phone display tells you when it's a stupid call like that, right? Or is this function not as common as I think it is? I honestly dont like phones much so I absolutely could be wrong on that one. Though it also seems like telemarketers have gotten less common, probably because of the ID thing (it's gotta hurt their business, after all). We hardly ever get calls from them here.

That all being said, your way of looking at things is admirable. At least in my opinion. And you're right about things like TV shows or whatever just outright becoming inaccessible. Too many things are like that, and nothing you can do brings them back. And then they get replaced by something craptastic... but that's a whole other rant, eh? A long one. Which is also a depressing rant indeed.

Honestly, I have no interest in being material/money rich, but I would appreciate not being worried about losing my home, or even my job since I would still need things to do for my mental health everyday. Being money rich makes people change how they are towards you and what not (most people I know who've come into money at work quit asap because of the change in others and gossiping), and I just don't need that stress at all. People are confusing enough as it is. I would like enough to maybe clear any debts I have, but yeah, I wouldn't want my life catered for by some easy winnings or something because I want a fulfilling life that I earnt myself. Sure, money can take you quite far but it won't replace the loved ones you lose over it. I'd rather be ignorant of people's greed too is possibly another way of looking at it. It would upset me if people only talked to me to try and get handouts.

I would like to be rich for 3 reasons only.

1. I have been unable to work for the last 4 years due to worsening health conditions and whilst my partner has worked full time, it is a minimum wage job and we are raising a young daughter. I've been battling various Government departments for financial help due to not being able to work and hopefully the time is coming soon when i might actually not only get a fair and just assessment but also get some money too.

Meanwhile we've been living 'hand to mouth' now for many years, barely had a holiday in 10 years and when we have it's been a short break in England as that's all we can afford. Living just to pay bills and rent etc and having little or not money left for clothes, a meal out now and then or even healthcare like routine dental check ups isn't living. It's existing. It's highly stressful, demoralizing and incessant.

I accept that i am not unique in this regard and indeed, there are many millions of much poorer people in the world than I who have barely enough to eat and barely enough to drink so i do have to put things into context in my head whenever i get depressed about my 'poverty'. However it does not make life any easier whatsoever.

The very fact that i would not have to worry about where the money for the next bill is coming from or have instant access to funds should our cooker break or whatever would alleviate much mental and emotional anguish. The time i spend every single day worrying about finances and working out which ingenious ways i can 'rob Peter to pay Paul' each month can be better spent relaxing with my family and actually enjoying one day out of life for a change.

I don't really need to be rich to be honest but just really really financially comfortable. I'm uninterested in possessions, latest fashions or flashy foreign holidays so i wouldn't need any of those things even if i had millions. I would just want the money to help my mental health with vastly reduced stress levels.

2. To have some control over my residential status.

I am unable to live around others as i do not trust other people to behave considerately and the noise and frequent activity of neighbours causes me distress. In the few houses i lived in when i was younger i had issues with neighbours with loud music, anti social behaviour and just generally them being loud and selfish.

I am fortunate at the minute as i live in a semi rural detached house as part of my partners employment and i have no neighbours at all. It's freedom all around but i know that one day i will have to go back to reality and go back to living in a cramped semi detached house where all the houses are crammed together and people just do what they want and disregard others.

A mansion is not necessary. I would live in a static caravan for the rest of my life so long as it was in the middle of a large field with no houses or neighbours within earshot. Unfortunately in the UK you can buy the land cheap enough but you need planning permission for a permanent dwelling (even a static caravan) to be situated on the land you have just bought. Nobody gets planning permission to do this sadly so you are forced to live in cramped shoeboxes masquerading as houses along with the rest of society, the majority of whom seem to have no respect for others.

If i was rich i could live away from people and eliminate the noise (and thus stress) endured daily from boy racers, noisy people, car doors slamming, people walking past or hanging around outside my front window, people having barbecues with lots of people and for some bizarre reason having loud music blaring out at the same time (as if loads of people aren't noisy enough).

3. Options. I'd have options.

Often i'd have wished i could live in a different part of the country or indeed move briefly to another one such as Iceland or Denmark just to see if i'd like it with no risk. Not being able to work definitely makes this not an option.

Obviously these are all purely selfish reasons but they would provide me with stability, control and predictability. Three key requirements for my autism to be effectively managed.

I'd give a lot to charities too. I'm not all bad.

I would like to be warm enough, have windows that don't leak and whistle loudly, and I would really appreciate having privacy: no lifestyle inspection every three months, and security of owning my home and being allowed to change the locks.
I'd like to be able to pay for dental treatment without saving up for it and giving up the hobbies that I use to fill up the time and avoid boredom and depressive thoughts.
I would like to have enough decent newish clothing, and I really want a washing machine and the plumbing to allow it to work.
I would love to go places where I might make a friend or two.
I would love to have enough money to be able to support a family, even if that is still extremely unlikely to happen.

I'm happy to have enough money to support my book habit, but the rich lifestyle would be too much for me.

As for telemarketers specifically... that one confuses me a bit. Dont pretty much all phones have caller ID now? If that's the case, just looking at the phone display tells you when it's a stupid call like that, right? Or is this function not as common as I think it is? I honestly dont like phones much so I absolutely could be wrong on that one. Though it also seems like telemarketers have gotten less common, probably because of the ID thing (it's gotta hurt their business, after all). We hardly ever get calls from them here.

That all being said, your way of looking at things is admirable. At least in my opinion. And you're right about things like TV shows or whatever just outright becoming inaccessible. Too many things are like that, and nothing you can do brings them back. And then they get replaced by something craptastic... but that's a whole other rant, eh? A long one. Which is also a depressing rant indeed.

Back when we could get caller ID, 9 times out of 10, it just displayed the words "blocked call" and sometimes "out of area", even if the caller was standing on my front porch. Even if it actually identified the caller, you have to stop what you are doing every 5 minutes or in the middle of dinner or the wee hours of the night to look at it. Since I have few friends, all of whom prefer email and no family, other than a sociopathic sister-in-law, most of the calls are just annoying interuptions anyway. We've gotten to the point where we unplug the line at dinnertime and don't plug it in again until after we wake up the next morning. I'd like to get rid of it all together but if we disconnect our land line, then Frontier, the only phone/internet provider available out here, will double the price of our internet, so it's cheaper to keep both.

I would like to be able to own my own home and not worry about paying rent and having to constantly move every 2 to 3 years mostly due to either the landlord selling or putting the rent up but while I don’t wish to be a billionaire I still wish that I could have a safe stable and happy life without worrying about bills or the rent.

Last edited:
Wealth is relative I suppose, for example someone on the £70K per annum happiness and wealth summit may have dependants and commitments such as a stressful job, whereas someone on £12K with no such cares or calls on their income may be happier, calmer, and go for more healthy walks. The latter sounds more appealing to me.

Wealth can certainly badly psychologically impact the ability to connect with people (with much more or less), even with the intent of true friends.

I've never been wealthy, but, as most people, always wanted to be.
Anywhere from enough to live comfortably to a Billion, thank you, doesn't matter.
I wanted that mansion and all that comes with it, servants, chauffeur, landscapers, and such when I
was young and still had my parents.
Why? Because even then my dream was to have a mansion in New Zealand away from everyone
and make it my own little world with everything I could want right there at home.

Well, I don't want that now that I am alone and older.
The money would still be just fine, but, only because I would like to now have a small place in the woods
away from everyone. People to help me physically do house chores, cook and clean.
I would get an RV big enough to be like a small home and travel the country. A Chauffeur to drive it
and someone to go with me for company. No agenda and no rush.

When the time comes I would need assisted living care, I would be able to have the finest and not
have to worry about paying for it.
I have no care about what's the style, the boasting or keeping up with anyone.
Just to be able to do as I want.

As far as managing money, the man I live with is wealthy and has no problems with financial headaches.
He has learned the ways to spread it around so to speak. Different investments and only keeps around
$50,000 in the bank for use.
Plus he takes most all of mine each month for rent and complains it can never be enough for my expense
of living there, but, he doesn't want to be alone and isn't ready to go into institutional living.
So to help with my expenses of living in the east wing, I help him with driving, housework, doctors, etc.
And I'm also there to scream at when he goes on a rant.
Many of you have heard me speak of this arrangement before.
Maybe this helps you understand why I am trying to hang in there.
He has no family and if I can endure being his caregiver without going totally nuts. Where there's a will... well, you know the rest.

New Threads

Top Bottom