• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

“Workshops” for disabled people

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Now go away!*
V.I.P Member
Has anyone else ever been made to work in one of these? I have bad memories of the three years I spent working in one. I was only supposed to be there temporarily for six months working three days a week but my abuser convinced the caseworker who put me there to extend the time by making it two days a week and then once a week and it was just awful. I was being paid per piece for every piece of wood I wrapped and by the time it was once a week, I was only getting $48 for two days’ of work. And this was in 2010. I was stuck there from 8 AM until 2 PM. My tax rebate one year was a lousy 64 cents! It was just awful and for most of the time I was working there, my paycheck was being taken by my abuser who then used the money I literally slaved to do to buy herself bottles of wine. It was exploitive and I didn’t deserve to be paid so little and neither did any of the other people there. Even worse was my abuser tried to get me enrolled in another workshop that disguised its true purpose under the claim it was a “facility for taking care of autistic people.” My therapist told me what it really was and it is disgusting that my abuser kept telling everyone how much I had meant to her and that she “loved” me so much that she only wanted what was best for me. Yet she hit me and gaslit me all the time and obviously didn’t mind if I was being exploited financially in what is basically a sweatshop that somehow found a loophole to be declared legal. I keep seeing this place inside my local mall that claims to give autistic adults jobs and want to question them before telling them that I know the truth that they are a workshop that severely underpays their “employees” and that it is exploitive and wrong and that they should be shut down immediately but I’m pretty sure that is illegal to do. It just bothers me that these places still exist in some states and are still considered to be legal. Getting $48 for only two days of work is beyo pathetic and insulting.

I work in one of these places, so my feelings are mixed. I think you make some good points, especially about pay. Unfortunately, I don't know if many of our people would get other work opportunities if not for the workshop. There are also more jobs that pay minimum wage now, too.

I agree they're not ideal, but I see that as a symptom of a society which doesn't care for disabled people. And most of the clients talk about how much they love it, and how they do not want regular employment (usually due to age or fear of bullying). Still, I'd love to see changes. I don't think exploitative is a wrong word, though in my experience it isn't that simple.

I'd definitely love to hear more stories from people about these places, positive or negative.

I once voluntarily went to a place called "Touch on Wood" a few times, but I did not like it. Having to get up at dawn to go there, loud machines with spinning blades that can carve you up like a roast turkey if you're not careful. But the people there were nice enough.

I see all of that as the result of the loss of power by workers who are the people creating wealth. During my university years I worked in auto plants during summers where I earned a substantial amount that paid for my educational expenses. I don't think kids now have that opportunity. Even then I did not earn enough to purchase a car I was building and afford an education too.

That is frustrating. At least the workshop gave you some work experience.

Try to look for something better on your own and live on your own and manage your own life if possible.

New Threads

Top Bottom