• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Work is Play, Play is Work"

SocraticKnowledge

Do many people that visit this forum experience this anomaly? I feel like I'm having fun when I'm being productive, which leads to me working extremely hard without tiring, but when it comes to "having fun", it feels abrasive.

For example, I have no problems practicing martial arts moves 100 times daily and coming up with 15 sets of lesson plans, but if you place me in a room with a stranger and ask me to introduce myself, I suddenly "shut down" by getting agitated and extremely nervous. I have no idea what to say or how to act, so I try to avoid those situations until I can get more background information on the people I meet.

It doesn't happen online, but anyone can easily notice it in person.

That might totally depend on what I see as work and what I see as play.

I don't really consider a lot of stuff I do as playing aimlessly. Any of the things I do have purpose, even if it's just to work on skills I want to improve. However, it doesn't mean that any form of being productive is fun and motivating for me. So far I found a job in general seems to be tiresome; perhaps because of the nature that it does not better me personally.

My hobbies, as much as they might be percieved as "playing" I tend to have a pretty high drive and to some extent devotion to it and I can easily do it for hours most of the time (depending how I feel mentally). But I feel it's actually a task I have to complete. Painting miniature figures doesn't feel like a leisure activity, it feels more like a task I need to complete for one reason or another (even if the reason is that I like to seem the painted).

My painting teachers consistently referred to whatever a person was working on (painting)
as playing. "What are you playing with?"

For socialization to approach what I'd call as fun more than work, usually depends on both how familiar I am with the people involved, and equally whatever it is that they are casually discussing.

Take socialization out of that equation and I could cite intense work as both nothing but work, and equally joy. Depending of course, on the work itself.

Since my primary interest is Culinary Arts, it's a good thing I'm employed as a chef instructor.

Work IS play and best of all, I get paid for this. What a deal!

New Threads

Top Bottom