• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work Experience problems

ZebraAutismo

V.I.P Member
It is nearly impossible to get a work any work experience as soon as the hear about my autism (and passing out problem.

Though we were getting time where today when visiting a library with my support worker about placement but now manager is trying to pull out of the original arrangement. He spoke mostly to my support staff and adressef very little at me. To the stop this person doubting my ability she slipped in that I study statistics and accountancy.

Why is it so hard to find places to even do work experience it’s seriously drag. Hopefully my brewery placement next year will be smoother then this.

I think for a lot of jobs, they don't want to hire anyone who is autistic. I've been told never to tell about my autism or mental illness in a job application or interview. When they hear about your autism, they automatically assume it will make you worse at doing the job (which is totally not the case, of course it gives you struggles, but it can also make you better at some things). I think, sadly, that the fastest way to get a job is to pretend to be completely normal in all ways.

I think for a lot of jobs, they don't want to hire anyone who is autistic. I've been told never to tell about my autism or mental illness in a job application or interview. When they hear about your autism, they automatically assume it will make you worse at doing the job (which is totally not the case, of course it gives you struggles, but it can also make you better at some things). I think, sadly, that the fastest way to get a job is to pretend to be completely normal in all ways.
Not so easy when you need a support staff with you.

I commend you on trying to work! I am disabled also, and it’s been challenging at times to gain employment, for a variety of medical and aspie issues. However, can you understand your medical and support issues from the viewpoint of the employer? You say you “pass out.” You say you need a “support helper.” These things realistically would indeed perturb most if not all employers.

What kinds of employment do you feel you would be an asset in, despite these issues? I can certainly understand the apprehensions from the employer side. Are you good at explaining why you would be an excellant employee for them?

I commend you on trying to work! I am disabled also, and it’s been challenging at times to gain employment, for a variety of medical and aspie issues. However, can you understand your medical and support issues from the viewpoint of the employer? You say you “pass out.” You say you need a “support helper.” These things realistically would indeed perturb most if not all employers.

What kinds of employment do you feel you would be an asset in, despite these issues? I can certainly understand the apprehensions from the employer side. Are you good at explaining why you would be an excellant employee for them?
I have high skill levels and qualification in IT and spins stats and accountantency. My support staff only help me if I pass out or in the past when I have a seizure but yeah I do get it. It’s hard to work with someone with complex needs but i’m getting pushed to get a work experience.

I know in the US we are being told to push all disabled persons receiving benefits to find work. This means getting governmental money, and or food monthly benefits. We are told to do one work group weekly, and motivate clients to work. Thank you horrible president Trump! Every single agency seems to have been told this. However, with your needs, I doubt there would be expectancy to work at all. You show unequivocal need in multiple ways.

I believe one of the biggest issues with any employer would be liability issues. They would be afraid you would injure yourself and sue them. Theses issues DO happen- it’s just not them being overly paranoid.

Who is “pushing” you to find employment? Are you working with supportive employment services in the USA? Or somewhere else? Sounds like you are really qualified, and I hope you find a place that will hire you.

I know in the US we are being told to push all disabled persons receiving benefits to find work. This means getting governmental money, and or food monthly benefits. We are told to do one work group weekly, and motivate clients to work. Thank you horrible president Trump! Every single agency seems to have been told this. However, with your needs, I doubt there would be expectancy to work at all. You show unequivocal need in multiple ways.

I believe one of the biggest issues with any employer would be liability issues. They would be afraid you would injure yourself and sue them. Theses issues DO happen- it’s just not them being overly paranoid.

Who is “pushing” you to find employment? Are you working with supportive employment services in the USA? Or somewhere else? Sounds like you are really qualified, and I hope you find a place that will hire you.
I’m in the UK I go to a collage for people with complex needs where the end aim is employment or a “regular” collage course.

I’m in the UK I go to a collage for people with complex needs where the end aim is employment or a “regular” collage course.

I went to a "Special Needs" (I hate that word, contrary to popular belief I am NOT "special") College in Grimsby, England from 1993 to 1995, because I was sent there by the idiot teacher after I left school.

Don't get me wrong I mostly enjoyed doing the courses, I just couldn't get on with student life, particularly shared living in the student houses, and the main hall, worst thing ever was not being able to get in the bathroom in a morning because someone was already there.

And Spaghetti Bolognese every night for tea! Back then I practically lived on Mars Bars, hence I'm now type 2 Diabetic.

It is nearly impossible to get a work any work experience as soon as the hear about my autism (and passing out problem.

Though we were getting time where today when visiting a library with my support worker about placement but now manager is trying to pull out of the original arrangement. He spoke mostly to my support staff and adressef very little at me. To the stop this person doubting my ability she slipped in that I study statistics and accountancy.

Why is it so hard to find places to even do work experience it’s seriously drag. Hopefully my brewery placement next year will be smoother then this.

It's hard because most employers have an aversion to anyone that they perceive might cause difficulty in the workplace. This is why I never disclose my disability because whatever laws are in force have no teeth to them. There are 6 ways to Sunday that an employer can find a way to legally deny the employment of anyone. Ironically, it is easier to prove age discrimination than disability discrimination. In the states, it is perfectly legal to disclose the disability after being hired so I would do it then.

It's hard because most employers have an aversion to anyone that they perceive might cause difficulty in the workplace. This is why I never disclose my disability because whatever laws are in force have no teeth to them. There are 6 ways to Sunday that an employer can find a way to legally deny the employment of anyone. Ironically, it is easier to prove age discrimination than disability discrimination. In the states, it is perfectly legal to disclose the disability after being hired so I would do it then.

If you disclose disability after being hired, in the US, YOU WILL NOT GET THE “accomadations” you need. So, no, it’s not really “ legal,” as in protected, as you might think.

New Threads

Top Bottom