• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why hasn't Autism (level) 1 become more used by the general public?

The problem (for me) with this 'levels of autism' thing is that unless it's a lot more comprehensive elsewhere (I understand that Sarah is only summarising) it doesn't seem to acknowledge that there are other conditions for which autistic symptoms are a co-morbidity, in my case Klinefelter Syndrome, which is a chromosomal disorder that affects body as well as brain development. The result is that the waters become further muddied and we drift further away from a neat set of boundaries. I don't think it's possible to accurately delineate a spectrum disorder because the levels seem to blur into one another in a way that defies easy classification.

If I was labelled 'Aspie' I would be quite happy with that. It looks and reads like a user-friendly word, unlike a lot of the official terminology which can be quite daunting, especially if you're new to this.

I don't think it's possible to accurately delineate a spectrum disorder because the levels seem to blur into one another in a way that defies easy classification.
From a mathematical standpoint, it is quite easy. How much resources [money] is required to accommodate such a person in a typical day (beyond food/clothing/shelter/etc.)?
  • If it is below $A, they are ASD1.
  • If it is between $A-$B, they are ASD2.
  • If it is above $B, they are ASD3.
None of that is based solely on a single trait, like intelligence.

Last edited:
They forgot prosopagnosia [face-blindness].

Oh im sure they forgotten more than that my friend but as we can see its a LONG list (and the list of comorbid diagnosis to ADHD is even longer than that (incl said list for ASD )

Last edited:
I received my dx today. The neuropsych used autism and Asperger's interchangeably. I use both interchangeably as well, depending on who I am talking to at the time. Many people don't understand that autism is a spectrum and not a stereotype. So if I say autism to the wrong person, they'll say "but you can talk and you just made eye contact" (for a second). I can talk -- I am usually nonverbal. Heaven forbid an autistic person gets to self-define who they are on their own terms.
Anyway ..... I prefer "autistic" or "Aspie" -- that is how I self-identify. I don't see it as a disorder, however. I think instead of just us trying to get along with them, they should make a greater effort to understand us and our world. It's too one-sided and they have plenty to gain from learning and participating in our world. Let them do some work at experiencing life through us instead of trying to force us to be like them. Just my opinion, of course. My ability to keep masking after 40+ years is rapidly falling away, filters fading ......

For NTs, I just use the phrase "mildly autistic" for ASD1.

Last edited:
For NTs, I just use the phrase "mildly autistic" for ASD1.

I've said that before when it's all I knew.

But after joining here, I learned the word "aspie" and I like it and prefer it. It sounds like an informal, acceptable, even kinda cool way to say I'm wired a little different than most but hey I'm still ok.

Anything else implies that I have a condition and therefore there is something actually wrong with me. I don't like that.

I learned the word "aspie" and I like it and prefer it.
I'm okay with Aspie (among other Aspies), but it is becoming derogatory among NTs that I associate with.

"Mildly autistic" also deflates some of the jealousy that I run into from time-to-time.

New Threads

Top Bottom