• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do some people do this?

I have to try really hard not to say something! This guy in a bar not far from me is making the most loud and disgusting noise eating a burger, with his mouth open! He seems middle class and his fifties. I find it hard to believe he hasn't of manners

Around 2009. I used to live in a different area, I used to visit the library, I used to get along very well with a member of staff, one day I was chatting to her and while I was a guy was stood trying to stare at me, trying to provoke me, I wasn't doing anything wrong, I left then went into the upstairs section of the library and I asked the guy why, he denied it, but only him and I knew what he done. Between 2017 and 2018 I used to date someone, in supermarkets some people would try and stare at me and provoke me and one time we were in a restaurant and another time in a juice bar. I tell you if someone is that to me when I am on my own I won't have any reason to try and control myself. I won't let anyone away with trying to provoke me when I am doing nothing wrong and minding my own business. (In general I have zero respect for anyone trying to be wicked instead of trying to be good and making the most of life)
Those minding their own business doing nothing wrong cause nothing, those trying to be wicked cause everything

The staff don' t ban people who talk about others and stare at them in coffee shops. I don't know about America but if you go to a pub here you get those who look out for fights

If you've had a couple drinks at the bar or pub...unless you're not the type who loses their inhibition (the thing that keeps you from acting on your impulses, from good to bad) easily or doesn't take to alcohol very well, you'll find out why.

I know it's been said and this is an older thread, but I can say from experience that's what a couple of drinks can do. More than that and...well, it depends on the person. This, by the way, is coming from someone who by default minds their own business and rarely strikes up conversation out of the blue a majority of the time.

Even if you're not drinking, it's still considered a social venue much like going to the club, a party, concert, etc. You'll find lots of people winding down from a stressful day and/or week and much more eager to strike up friendly conversation and have fun when they're having a relatively better time.

I am not paranoid. I have proof that others are aware of things like this. I askes the manager and support worker of the autism charity where I am registere, if some people stare at others through malicious reasons and he answered yes.
I have been minding my own business on lots of occasions for example at a bus stop, in a shop or sitting a cafe and some people have stared at me.

It's annoying when some people do it generally too, for example fake coughing in a library can put you off, you could be sending an important email to, or be studying!
I rather someone coughing (fake or not) in a library than hearing a toddler have the world's loudest screaming meltdown lol.

as well as fake coughing there are glucking noises some poeple make to to people who are minding their own business doing nothing wrong

Don't use the study desks in the reference library on the top floor of the george IV bridge central library in Edinburgh either. Some people very often stare at you for no reason including staff members. Staring is a form of harassment and especially bad to do it to a disabled/autistic person. And they lie and contradict themselves and they and make out libraries should be a fun and relaxing experience and they further lie by saying they are helpful and friendly

Also if you are visiting Edinburgh or live there I don't advise you go to relax or/and study in Leith Library as it's also like a creche with very loud children and children running around. I suppose if you wear earbuds that would help but not everyone likes the sensation of them in their ears
It's not the children that annoy me a bit it's the adults who say shhh

I don't know why some people serving a cafe give a very runny egg in an egg roll. It all spills on my face and clothes and I have wasted money on it

I'm not sure when libraries stopped being quiet places and then became creches too. I can only assume it happened as some parents couldn't afford to take their children to nurseries. It's a shame there are not free creches/nurseries for those who can't afford them, so libraries can be places to study and concentrate and not to be stressed, like my home is very noisy quite often, and often late at night early morning, and not everything can get used to ear plugs

in public libraries too, some members of the public when there are free tables free with no pcs still use to sit at a pc table when not using it

I have my own library, office gave up on public libraries. running out of places for bookcases as bed room and only so much room.

Everyone is on about energy saving and I thought libraries would be very into this but they have the lights on today when its very sunny outside and there's plenty of windows

I don't think I've ever walked into a public building where they didn't have lights on even on a bright sunny day and have lots of windows. If the building is large it would probably still feel quite dim with the lights switched off.

At least I think...actually I haven't really consciously noticed whether the lights are kept on in large public buildings with lots of windows, but now that I picture it I can recall that lights are permanently on in large public buildings. Actually I might have to check that out for sure.

New Threads

Top Bottom