• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why are smokers so selfish?

Tony Ramirez

Single forever. Friends?
V.I.P Member
You been sitting in the park nice then some guy will sit near you and light up then you have to move so far away. Like I want to breath that in and get cancer. He wants to ruin his lungs let him I don't need to be breathing in that.

I even seen them walking in front of you then light up. What ticks me off the mist is second hand smoke can literally travel all the way to the other side.

It stinks. It gets in your hair and clothes... yuk. The worst workshop clearance I ever did was someone who smoked heavily. Even months after he died the workshop still reeked. Every single thing was caked in a stinking brown film that was impossible to clean off.

My mother quit smoking years ago but my father and uncle still smoke. My uncles TV is full of brown filth.

You been sitting in the park nice then some guy will sit near you and light up then you have to move so far away. Like I want to breath that in and get cancer. He wants to ruin his lungs let him I don't need to be breathing in that.

I even seen them walking in front of you then light up. What ticks me off the mist is second hand smoke can literally travel all the way to the other side.

For me, it's when they're at bus stops/shelters.
When it's sunny, they'll happily stand outside the bus stop/shelter to light up - which doesn't bother me. However, when it's raining, they light up inside the bus shelter which means everyone has to either deal with the smoke or stand outside in the pouring rain.

I think it's odd how Americans are so anti smoking. The occasional 10 seconds spend in someone else smoke isn't that harmful. Maybe being autistic amplifies your reaction of the smell.
Your right. My smell is amplified and I can really smell how bad it smells.

I thought it was silly when my town banned smoking in the parks, but continued to allow cars to drive through and maintenance kept using gas powered mowers and such.

I hold my breath when I have to pass people who are smoking tobacco.
I am very allergic to it.
It messes me up.
Bad.

I hate the smell of weed, cologne, hair products, diesel, fresh paint/remodeling and other peoples' houses in general, and the over-abundance of people who pass gas in confined public spaces.

I don't mind cigarette smoke, vape cloud, loud stereos, speeders, cyclists and joggers (usually), littering (though I don't), or screaming children, or clowns.

There are so many magical ways for people to annoy each other I try not to fixate.

Cigarettes stink. Pipe tobacco and cigars I enjoy smoking, but I do so in the privacy of my own castle. There is also Mary Jane, which is illegal to smoke in public spaces, yet the last few concerts I went to had people lighting up their joints in the crowd.

What happens at a concert, stays at the concert. ;) It's illegal here too but that didn't stop me from lighting up a huge one at a Primus concert years ago. Best concert ever. :D
I ate a couple of hash brownies before entering a Tool concert several years ago. That was amazing.

I have to leave if someone smokes. My mother smoked all the time when I was a kid (I wish I was overexaggerating). My aunt too. The smell is just horrible and makes me feel like I can't breathe.

My partner's mother uses e-cigarettes and they're more bearable but I still crinkle or hold my nose.

When I grew up everyone smoked, I used to roll sigarettes for my dad when he was driving. It may seem strange but I still like the smell of sigarette smoke. When I walk into a warm room full of smoke it smells nice.
My father used to roll his own while he steered with his knees. :oops:

If my father smoked in a car, he didn't mind cracking his window to let the smoke out. No problem. My mother would complain and get angry and demand I crack my window instead. She thought i was making everything up. All that did was to suck the smoke right by me on its way put. I'd have to crack the window on the seat behind her and stay on the opposite side of the car. Not as effective as if she cracked hers, but enough that I wouldn't choke.

Never did learn to tolerate cigarette smoke. Grampa on my dad's side smoked a pipe. Pipe smoke was okay for a bit, but I wouldn't want to breathe it for long.

Smokers are selfish because humans are selfish. When I was a kid, smokers ruled. Nonsmokers just had to accept it. Everyone knew it was ruining their lungs and tried to discourage the kids, but the adults smoked anyhow.

Father's smoking was four or five cigarettes a day and was probably less unhealthy than manufactured cigarettes. He quit when my mother died. OTOH, my mother was a pack-a-day smoker. Manufactured cigarettes are much more unhealthy than rolling your own and are much more likely to cause fires. They contain agents that keep the cigarette burning even when nobody is puffing on them.

"Tobacco companies lied and it's all their fault." stopped being a valid complaint in the 60s. People smoke because they enjoy the nicotine rush, and today's pleasure overrides tomorrow's pain.

They don't quit because it isn't easy to quit. Back then, it was far worse because tobacco was everywhere, and a quitter would be surrounded by other smokers giving them a ration of ridicule for quitting.

My wife smoked when we met but quit when she got pregnant. My son never smoked, but my daughter picked it up and quit when she decided to get pregnant. Her hubby still smokes but only outside. There were withdrawal symptoms, but still something most people can handle without external help. The media likes to exaggerate. They are nothing so severe as opiate or cocaine withdrawal.

Last edited:
My sentiments entirely. I can't stand it. It stinks. Who even ever thought of it? Inhaling burnt plant matter into your lungs is such a bad idea. Your lungs are for breathing, you need fresh air, not toxic air. I don't understand what the attraction is.

Also, weed... I understand that this is helpful to some people. What I don't get is why they want to smoke it, rather than taking it in the form of an edible, which I know exists.

I recently had to watch a person go through treatment for throat cancer, which let's just say wasn't pretty - you've seen the pictures on cigarette packs, so you get the idea, and this person died. It's like playing Russian Roulette - you might not die from it, but there's a good chance that you will. The sooner it's gone the better - though as long as powerful multinationals are making profits from it, it's not ever going to go away.

I mean no disrespect to those with Tourettes, but if I had Tourettes, my tick would surely be saying "Cancer!" every time I saw someone smoke.

When I was a kid, smokers ruled. Nonsmokers just had to accept it. Everyone knew it was ruining their lungs and tried to discourage the kids, but the adults smoked anyhow.
That's how it is here. And if I complain about, for example, people smoking in public offices where it's actually illegal to smoke, I'm made to feel like I'm the antisocial one for complaining. There is antismoking legislation, but people mostly ignore it. It's tolerated. And people can still do as they wish in their own homes and rightly so, but there are people who smoke around their kids and babies even, who don't have a voice. This is so wrong and selfish.

The irony is that this country was actually the first to conduct a survey and research into the affects of passive smoking.

I'm made to feel like I'm the antisocial one for complaining
In their point of view, you are. If a law is ignored enough, it ceases to be a law and remains a hopeful suggestion until someone decides to enforce it. Enforcing an unpopular law always makes you the bad guy.

It probably means no more to them than doing 80 in a 70 speed zone. That's so common on weeked freeways here that you'll cause more accidents by obeying the speed limit because you become an obstruction.

In their point of view, you are. If a law is ignored enough, it ceases to be a law and remains a hopeful suggestion until someone decides to enforce it. Enforcing an unpopular law always makes you the bad guy.

It probably means no more to them than doing 80 in a 70 speed zone. That's so common on weeked freeways here that you'll cause more accidents by obeying the speed limit because you become an obstruction.
Yeah... that's one area where I have very rigid thinking. For me, they are the antisocial ones, they are the bad guys, not them. It's unfair, and I can't tolerate unfairness. A lot of people smoke here, but statistically they are still a minority. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one annoyed by it, I think it annoys most people who don't smoke. But I'm one of the few who speak up about it. If more people speak up, things can and will change.

When I was a kid people smoked around me constantly, including my dad. It's a wonder I didn't get some horrible lung disease a long time ago. Maybe it ended up damaging my brain.

Smokers who are generally selfless people can become really selfish when it comes to smoking. It's what nicotine does, it's so addictive that nothing else matters.
My husband's daughter is health-conscious, intelligent, and extremely caring towards children and animals...but she smokes while pregnant and around her pets indoors.

That's why cigarettes should have been banned years ago, if it has that much of an affect on people.

New Threads

Top Bottom